ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Inner tyre wear

Both my front tyres have inner wear, rear tyres are fine.
I did change the track rod end on the drivers side, but it's odd that both sides have about the same in terms of their wear.
Kwik-fit think its the suspension. It also needs to be tracked as its pulling to the left. More recently, I'm hearing a bearing gone too - but it disappears when turning left (I got the bearing replaced last year).
I' considering giving the the front two wheels an overhaul, but I'm not sure if its necessary? What can cause the tyre wear, and if the bearing stop making the humming noise when turning left, does it mean its coming from the left side?

Clio II 172 RS Ph1
If you think there is a problem with the suspension, then check that first on a ramp. Then it get it correctly aligned (they will also check tyre pressure etc). If the tyres are shot, replace them first (before aligning)

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Inner wear says too much toe out. Which also explains the pulling to the left, as it'll tend to follow the camber of the road. I'd bet its just needing alignment done. Does your steering wheel now sit slightly to the left when driving straight by any chance?

Also, correct about the bearing, sounds like the left hand side.

Inner wear says too much toe out. Which also explains the pulling to the left, as it'll tend to follow the camber of the road. I'd bet its just needing alignment done. Does your steering wheel now sit slightly to the left when driving straight by any chance?

Also, correct about the bearing, sounds like the left hand side.
What do you mean by too much toe out?
I haven't noticed much difference in the steering position when going straight - its quite possible, but since my ownership of this car it hasn't ever been 100% aligned.
Does it mean anything if there are slight squeaks in the suspension? Ever since they told me that the suspension might need replacing I've been hypersensitive to the ride.
I also imagine I'm right about the wheel bearing...?

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
What do you mean by too much toe out?
I haven't noticed much difference in the steering position when going straight - its quite possible, but since my ownership of this car it hasn't ever been 100% aligned.
Does it mean anything if there are slight squeaks in the suspension? Ever since they told me that the suspension might need replacing I've been hypersensitive to the ride.
I also imagine I'm right about the wheel bearing...?

Toe out is where the fronts of the tyres are further out than the rears, so if you were looking straight down they'd be like this:

\-----/

Only very slightly though, hardly enough to notice by eye. It tends to make the car wander and follow the road more. Most road cars run a slight amount of toe in (opposite of the above) as it makes them feel more stable in straight lines.

Not sure about the squeaks in the suspension, it could be anything really.

Yeah that's right about the bearing. If the noise goes away when turning left it'll be a bearing on the left hand side and vice versa.

Listerine & Poledo
Get the bearings done
Then have your alignment done (and dont bother adding extra scene-camber)
THEN, get new tyres