ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Inspecting a gearbox

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Is there anything to look out for with a second hand gearbox before refitting?

Any obvious signs of damage/wear?

Many.
Echo the above, No real way of finding out condition other than stripping it which isn't a 5min job.

Best way to be sure is either rebuilt, or at least drive the car it came from.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I wasn't after a full health check, just any characteristics of some issues that may be noticeable with the box off.

The frustrating thing is, I know my box is good if not for the crack in the main box housing :(

I'll chuck it on and take my chances before stripping the old one down to have the casing welded.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I wasn't after a full health check, just any characteristics of some issues that may be noticeable with the box off.

The frustrating thing is, I know my box is good if not for the crack in the main box housing :(

I'll chuck it on and take my chances before stripping the old one down to have the casing welded.
Honestly mate it's just a suck it and see situation unfortunately. Wheres the crack in the casing mate? Any ideas what caused it?

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Runs from up along side what I presume is the reverse switch and down along the bottom of the casing

9fcb1578b7bbe4fc7a093b34479a8936.png

Not sure what caused it. Theres the odd scuff and scrape, so I guessed it was probably an impact of some kind.

That said, I tried a temp bodge with Chemical metal and the chemical metal has cracked in the same place, so there must be some load on it.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Runs from up along side what I presume is the reverse switch and down along the bottom of the casing

9fcb1578b7bbe4fc7a093b34479a8936.png

Not sure what caused it. Theres the odd scuff and scrape, so I guessed it was probably an impact of some kind.

That said, I tried a temp bodge with Chemical metal and the chemical metal has cracked in the same place, so there must be some load on it.
Is it the box with a bolted in diff by any chance?

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Do you mean a 130, ie. 182 box? I think that was what they did with the 182 to stop the diff circlip issue?

If so, yes.

330i. E30 Touring.
I've got a box from a Ph1, which has been rebuilt by Agency less than 10k miles ago. Drives perfectly. No whines or crunches.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Thanks, but I've already sourced a box.

If it turns out to be no good, I guess I'll rebuild my box into the new casing.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Do you mean a 130, ie. 182 box? I think that was what they did with the 182 to stop the diff circlip issue?

If so, yes.
Not all 130's are the bolt in diff mate I don't think. I've seen a few where the bolt from the bolt in section has come out and gone inside the box. It gets in between the gears/shafts and forces them apart, a la, split casing.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Not all 130's are the bolt in diff mate I don't think. I've seen a few where the bolt from the bolt in section has come out and gone inside the box. It gets in between the gears/shafts and forces them apart, a la, split casing.

I'll have a look at that.

The box has had a lot of abuse since the new suspension - lower to the ground, more vibration, not to mention the drive shafts hitting the chassis legs (just as you warned me :p )

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'll have a look at that.

The box has had a lot of abuse since the new suspension - lower to the ground, more vibration, not to mention the drive shafts hitting the chassis legs (just as you warned me :p )
It's worth a look when the box is out mate for sure.

Lol! The joys of running them that low eh! There's another gb on for hubs btw.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Just touching on the subject again

I noticed the new gearbox has sealant between the box and bell housing where as the old did not.

Is this a sign that perhaps its been rebuilt/refurbed?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Just touching on the subject again

I noticed the new gearbox has sealant between the box and bell housing where as the old did not.

Is this a sign that perhaps its been rebuilt/refurbed?
Is the sealant red mikeh? If it is then no I doubt it's been rebuilt as they came from Renault sealed with loctite 518. If it's any other colour then I'd almost definitely say it's been apart at some point.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I couldn't see any sealant on my old box, but its not red on the new one, but rather black.

That's helpful - thanks :)