ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Installed new clutch, burnt out already?

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
I have just used this method to install a new clutch in my Clio 2004 1.2 16v:

I used double sided sticky pads to hold the plate in place. Now, I used the starter motor to release the plates. The car worked ok in reverse, (when I managed to get it into reverse). I tried 1st gear and I had to give a lot of revs to get it to move anywhere or the car would just die. I then purposely tried to burn the clutch to “wear it in”, there was some smoke... well quite a lot coming from it. Now the car won’t do anything, engine starts, feels like it’s going in gear, not to sure if it is or not, won’t move anywhere now.

Can anyone help me out here?
Have I burnt my new clutch out already?

Thanks!

Clio 197
Double check the clutch cable fittings? It's not an auto-adjusting clutch cable is it?

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
Double check the clutch cable fittings? It's not an auto-adjusting clutch cable is it?
Yes I think it is, there is no adjustment on the engine side. If the cable is pulled from the engine side it can be pulled fairly easily and pulls back.

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
One thing I did think that I did wrong, when I pulled the old clutch out one of the pins was in stuck in pressure plate. I tapped it back into the flywheel for alignment. Can they come loose once the gearbox if fitted? Thinking it might fall out?