ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance and Locked Garage

53 plate 172

Does anybody know what would happen if you told your insurance company the car is kept in a locked garage but you happen to leave it on the driveway one night and it gets robbed.

This is a hypothetical Q as I have just moved house. I think my premium would only come down by about £10 anyway.

I dont know for a fact but I have been told you should say you keep your car on the street. Apparently its cheaper than on a drive or in a garage because they have more time to be seen (or not) when its tucked away.

Garage is cheaper than the street option for sure. Some companies wouldnt touch me unless it was in a garage - as for street v drive - not sure!

the insurers ask where the car is kept "most" nights so it would be fine. Just the same as staying somewhere else in the country and leaving your car on the street overnight.

I think the only time youd get probs is if you dont have a garage, or if you have 2 cars in the household that are both declared to be kept in the garage. (Like my house, but my dad is insured for garage, and me the driveway).

Clio v6

"the insurers ask where the car is kept "most" nights so it would be fine. Just the same as staying somewhere else in the country and leaving your car on the street overnight."

Quite right. Mine was in a street when it got wrecked. It cant be in the garage all of the time.

53 plate 172

Thats exactly what my insurance said, as long as it is kept in the garage the majority of the time, and believe me it will be. Dont want any more flying gates !!!

Thanks to living in a better postcode area and changing from driveway to garage my insurance company is giving me a refund of........wait for it........£1.40 !!!

Cheers for the replies though.