ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance+Mods=dilema

Well i rang reno insurance and the good news is i can add bodykits, spoilers, ice and alloys to my policy for the sum of £39.99 (an administration fee)

This is the reno one year free insurance policy thingamybob.

Anyway, on to my dilema.

Reno doesny allow engine mods, exhausts or...... Lowering springs!

I already have 17"s and a 35mm drop. Quite frankly it looks sh*t without the drop, so what do you reckon i shud do? off with the lowering springs or risk no payout if i do crash?

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Screw Reno and go with Liverpool Vic or loose the lowering springs till its time to renew then go with Vic. Your basically driving round with no insurance at the moment, crash into a 50k Beemer and youll have a big bill on your hands as well as a royal shaffting from the police.

phone them again,.....and again and again.,

They coverered me completely free of charge (no £39.99 crap) and covered lowering springs, alloys, ice the lot. Only exception was no engine mods! So keep calling them

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy

my m8 has declared his lowerin and exhaust on the renault insurance, aint the years free one but its insured through renualt. cost him 100 quid for the year

Renault Laguna Sports

Pretenders and mine are both insured with renault, we paid slight increase in premiums, but all mods are covered.

Your mad not driving round will all mods declaired if you crash your not insured. So the police and other parties will be after you. Its not worth not declairing them.

I think someone on the forum manged to get a friendly person at Renault insurance to cover there suspension mods covered saying it was visual not performance thing (the person who worked at Renault insurance new what he was on about and added it to the policy)

The Renault free insurance policy allows for visual mods but not performance mods (excess goes up I think as well). Depending upon who you talk to they may cover you. Keep ringing them up and ask someone different every time.

EDD

Your mad driving round without declairing your mods. If you crash then the police and the other parties will be after you. Its not work getting points/ going bankrupt over a few mods.

There is someone on this forum I belive who got there mods covered as the Renault insurance employee wrote the springs in as a visual mod. (No performance mods are allowed under the policy).

Visual mods under the policy increase the excess to 1k I think (or it did when I was insured).

Make sure you get all your mods covered insurance companies love to get away wiith not paying out. Im sure they checked my car out when the investigator came out as the CPU plug in (in the ash tray) was left un covered.

EDD

Elise/VX220/R26

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 03 November 2003
Your mad not driving round will all mods declaired if you crash your not insured. So the police and other parties will be after you. Its not worth not declairing them.I think someone on the forum manged to get a friendly person at Renault insurance to cover there suspension mods covered saying it was visual not performance thing (the person who worked at Renault insurance new what he was on about and added it to the policy)The Renault free insurance policy allows for visual mods but not performance mods (excess goes up I think as well). Depending upon who you talk to they may cover you. Keep ringing them up and ask someone different every time.EDD

if you get a producer all the feds are bothered about is that the policy is in date and for your car.

Maybe if your with reno insurance it might be an idea (depending if the insurance company is linked directly with reno) I used to work in insurance and trust me as long as your paid up and your insurance is in date you dont have anything to worry about.

RS Megane DCi 175

Ive just had to renew my insurance - Renos quote wasnt bad but the best one was MoreThan...theyll cover any modification that doesnt increase top-speed or acceleration...so if all your looking to do at the mo is fit the alloys and lower it theyll cover you for no extra charge.
Mines got 17s on, but it aint lowered - yet - its next on the after christmas to do list.

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 03 November 2003

if you get a producer all the feds are bothered about is that the policy is in date and for your car.

Maybe if your with reno insurance it might be an idea (depending if the insurance company is linked directly with reno) I used to work in insurance and trust me as long as your paid up and your insurance is in date you dont have anything to worry about.
Arrr well proved wrong again. I would have thought that the police would procecute if you dont have valid insurance. Also if you crash and they found a huge uninsured turbo and had 3rd party damage they have under law to pay for that but would try and recover the cost by taking you to court.

When you say "as long as your paid up and your insurance is in date you dont have anything to worry about." what do you mean? Does it mean that insurance companies dont care about mods (unliky the way they usually increase premiums)?

EDD