ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance on a clio 1.6 for a 18 year old

clio dynamique 1.6
i have a clio 1.6 dynamique and for my first year of driving i have been on my dads fleet insurance, and now i have to come off the insurance due to a few problems and i have been getting quotes of around 3 grand :( to insure my self as a second driver with my mum as the policy holder.
any ideas of what i should do?

i have been thinking of selling the car and getting a 1.2 or something.
is there any way of getting a cheaper quote, as i cnt use my mums ncb of around 15 years as u cant use ncb bonuses on more than 1 policy.
thanks luke

try having you as the main driver and both parents as named drivers

make sure you check moneysupermarket and confused.com etc.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
It's illegal to be insured in your Mum's name if you are the main driver.

If you can't afford the insurance legally, you can't afford the car.

VW Caddy Van
Try Admiral Elephant and Bell, all have been cheapest for myself and alot of mates. My mate had a 1.6 16v Nissan Sunny as his first car, Admiral gave him quite a good quote for it.

I've been with all 3 and bak with Elephant again this year. Add ur mum as a named driver it'll bring it down alot but u'll still be looking to pay about £2k

ValverInBits

Technically incorrect. Direct line (don't know if they still do) will do a policy in a parents name for a child and the named driver can be listed as the "main user" of the car.

Agreed tho, don't get named driver "occasional user" sort of status, not wise.

ValverInBits
i have a clio 1.6 dynamique and for my first year of driving i have been on my dads fleet insurance, and now i have to come off the insurance due to a few problems and i have been getting quotes of around 3 grand :( to insure my self as a second driver with my mum as the policy holder.
any ideas of what i should do?

i have been thinking of selling the car and getting a 1.2 or something.
is there any way of getting a cheaper quote, as i cnt use my mums ncb of around 15 years as u cant use ncb bonuses on more than 1 policy.
thanks luke

Pay your mum the difference it costs her to loose her NCB.

aside from that, buy a different car.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

Technically incorrect. Direct line (don't know if they still do) will do a policy in a parents name for a child and the named driver can be listed as the "main user" of the car.

Agreed tho, don't get named driver "occasional user" sort of status, not wise.

Yep, incorrect if they are listed as the main user. Somehow, I don't think many people are. Mainly because the price would be pretty much the same as insuring it in your own name.

Audi S1
Put your mum or dad etc.. as the main driver... you as a named driver... it works... although it is illegal..

Evo 6, E92 320d
Renewed mine this morn with elephant, 1.6 (172 rep) all mods declared and those i intend to do declared also, 19 yrs 0 ncb 2 yrs driving exp i paid just over £1k.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Depends where you're from mate. I'm 20, insured with Tesco with a 9 year old 1.6 and for me alone, with 1 years named-driver discount it comes out at £2,000. However adding my brother who's been driving for 4 months brings it down to £1,600. Outside of Manchester I could get it for half that price.

Next year I'll have 2 years full NCB and a renewal quote of £1,000, for me alone.

Bear in mind that if you're planning to mod it, companies like Direct Line, Tesco, etc. will take you to the cleaners.

Best hope is to shop around and try making subtle changes to the policy.. you alone, you and your mum etc.

Clio 182
Shocking! Insure yourself as the main driver with both your parents as additional drivers, and the typical "8k Miles a year" job too. I was 18 when I got insured in my 182, and that was 2.2k. So it seems a bit expensive what you've been quoted.
Elephant are the cheapest for young drivers, go direct to elephant and avoid brokers.

clio dynamique 1.6
ok thanks ill have a look at these sites, and play around with the policy, thing is aswell that i live in luton which they class as a high risk area so that bumps it up aswell.
thanks

clio dynamique 1.6
not that stupid really as i have had insurance on a fleet insurance and it has been 500 pound a year but i may now have to find my own insurance due to a few problems, so at the age of 17 i could of had any sized engine car as i was just a named driver on the policy. so i could of had a 2 or 3 litre engine would then have been stupid.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Shouldn't be much, at 19 with 2NCB a 1.6 was the same price as my 1.2.
Norwich Union have always been good for me, just try every company you can think of.