ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance - Panic

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Ok so I'm fully comp on my Clio, which is a 1.5.

I drove my girlfriend's car to work this morning (because the DCi is in the garage), which is a C2 1.0 of the same value.

Now I believed that I could drive her car on the basis that it was 3rd party ONLY, but some research today has possibly shown that insurers have done away with this unless you're over 25.

I'm with Admiral, I haven't recieved my documents through the door yet as I JUST insured it the other night.

Panicking now obviously as I'm 30 miles from home and if I get stopped by the police am I illegal?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
(Not being patronising..) What made you think you were covered ?

It's always been >25 AFAIK unless you ask/ pay extra/ get lucky. VERY few companies cover younger drivers like this...?

You most likely aren't covered. How about you - and this will shock you - phone Admiral with your policy number, and ask them....

Then prepare from pwnage from your g/f when she has to get a lift 30 miles to drive her car back!!

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
(Not being patronising..) What made you think you were covered ?

It's always been >25 AFAIK unless you ask/ pay extra/ get lucky. VERY few companies cover younger drivers like this...?

My dad's driven other people's cars with his fully comp, didn't think the age factor came into it.

I don't have my policy number as it's a new policy and I don't have the documentation yet.

Ok thanks guys I'll have to find another way to get to work tomorrow!

My dad's driven other people's cars with his fully comp, didn't think the age factor came into it.

I don't have my policy number as it's a new policy and I don't have the documentation yet.

Ok thanks guys I'll have to find another way to get to work tomorrow!

It's been over 25 for years and years!!

Phone them with your name, dob and address. They will find you.

clio 172
they maybe be able to tell you by asking a few security questions, DOB/address/password etc

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
It's been over 25 for years and years!!

Phone them with your name, dob and address. They will find you.

I've only been driving for 3. It's never been an avenue I've explored but I won't assume in the future.

Admiral are over 25. Eep. Let's hope I don't get stopped tbqfh!

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Ye you would be illegal, iv been telling my family for ages about this but they wouldnt listen and what happend cousine got caught but escaped a ban/fine due to police officers fault.

You need to be as a named driver on the policy to get away with it, phone the insurance up and add yourself for a month that should sort you out just for noq

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
It's only for a couple of days, which sucks. Don't have any spare cash as fixing the Clio is setting us back £500. Lesson learned, I'll get a lift tomorrow.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
:(

Hope I don't, I wasn't ignorant, just stupid for not double checking. I'm getting a lift tomorrow and hopefully the Clio is out by Thursday!

Even for over 25's, a lot of insurers are dropping this from their policies now.
You need to check the terms regardless of your age tbh.

I'm covered to drive other cars 3rd party (26) but if I was planning on driving another car, I'd get myself put on as a named driver on their policy, due to the fact if I did stuff the other persons car through my own fault, I'd have to pay for it!! Not worth it.

Clio 200
This is a very common myth & one that most of my mates seem to abide by, 'if im fully comp on my car then I can drive any other car 3rd party'. Wrong.

It HAS to state on your own insurance documents / certificate you are allowed to drive another car.

Better than yours. C*nt.
I'd not even be driving it home TBH. You can't plead ignorance because you've posted about it on the internets now, and can't say 'you HAD to drive it back'.

Plus, with the weather the way it is and the number of people pranging their cars, is it worth fcuking up your chances of being insured ever again? Driving without insurance is frowned upon as much as/more than drink driving by insurers. You'll not see a quote under a few K for years.

Time to phone a friend...

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
The only way ur insured is if it states on the policy, if not it will sall im small writing you are not insured on any other car

MR2 Mk1.5
This is a very common myth & one that most of my mates seem to abide by, 'if im fully comp on my car then I can drive any other car 3rd party'. Wrong.

It HAS to state on your own insurance documents / certificate you are allowed to drive another car.

CORRECT.

In addition, the DOC (Driving other cars) extension is does not depend on having fully comp cover, you get it with most TPFT policies as well.

The industry trend is over 25s who do not work in connection with the motortrade only.

A lot of companies have taken this way as people abuse it.

Never above 25mpg
Just to all the 25+ bandwagon.

Quinn Direct DO cover for drivers on a 3rd party cover, I know as I had this cover for 2 years with them and drove around my mum's/dad's cars.

Unfortunately I don't anymore but that was only when I was 17/18 too.

Will have to wait a few years again for the privilege.

ibiza cupra
CORRECT.

In addition, the DOC (Driving other cars) extension is does not depend on having fully comp cover, you get it with most TPFT policies as well.

The industry trend is over 25s who do not work in connection with the motortrade only.

A lot of companies have taken this way as people abuse it.
was gonna say that i dont get this because im in the motor trade.

What if you pay extra for it? Im 20 and have it on my policy.
Bell put the fear of god into you when you ask about it, almost as if they dont want you to use it. No surprise there!

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Managed to get insured as a named driver for occasional use for an extra £120, and there's 9 months left so better than I thought it would be tbh!

every policy i've had since I was 17 has let me drive other people's cars providing they also have fully comp so there's no set rules. My last policy with privilege didn't mention it on the policy but when i phoned up they said it was fine so that's the best way of checking unless it specifically states you can't. There also doesn't seem to be any rules around engine size, age etc. as far as I've seen & if if you are unlucky enough to get pulled by the feds they're unlucky to check the document specifics anyway