ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance Problems - Factory Fitted or Modification

RenaultSport 197
I have a Clio 197 2008. I have a problem with insurance. I had a small bump (not my fault) and I have had to claim on my insurance, damage to wing and Bumper (I have a zero excess policy). My insurer approved car repairer sent a photograph of my car to my insurer which showed the car had alloy wheels, spoiler and exhaust. My insurer said they are modifications and have cancelled my policy and not paid anything out. The Carvertical vehicle check shows my car had fitted at the factory, the extreme equipment pack, the look sport equipment pack and the braking equipment pack. I believe the extreme pack provides the car with lowered suspension and spoiler, the look sport pack provides the anthracite alloy wheels and Brembo callipers. The spoiler has RenaultSport moulded into it and the wheels have the Renault Logo. Can anyone provide me with the evidence I need to go back to my insurance company to prove that they were factory fitted and not modifications. My exhaust is completely original apart from a replacement rear box, fully baffled, standard pipe size and stainless steel. I could not find an original exhaust anywhere. I am unable to insure my 197 at the moment. I have had it repaired at my local paint shop and will have to sell it. Help please, Alex

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
If they are factory fit items (which it sounds like they are, apart from the repaired exhaust) then the insurance are idiots and you need to argue it with them or get the ombudsman involved.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I would think a letter from a Renault dealership confirming they're OEM options would suffice. Surely it's on the insurer to prove they're aftermarket modifications though, they can't just cancel your policy without proof? I'd be tempted to send photos of the Renault logos on the wheels and spoiler first to prove they're genuine items and then escalate from there.

RenaultSport 197
Thanks for you replies. Photos attached. Insurer has had the photos but never replied. I am at the complaints stage at the moment. Does anyone have the email address for RenaultSport?

Attachments

• image0 (10).jpeg
    image0 (10).jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 77
  • image1 (2).jpeg
    image1 (2).jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 76
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    645.7 KB · Views: 74

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
If they don't respond go straight to the Ombudsman, having a policy cancelled will give you issues getting insurance in the future.

Udder Nonce

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
They were available in black or white from Renault when new.
@DavidandAlex I'm sure if you search hard enough you'll find some post from 2008 when people bought new 197's in that exact spec. Who's the idiot insurer?
I was just going off the fact the centre caps are a different colour, presumed the wheels had been painted tok

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I didn’t think a 197 had the option of those wheels. Those look like 200 wheels probably added at a later date.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Technically they are all optional extras which are supposed to be declared. However I think that's a very strict thing for them to enforce. Especially when the cars not new, how is anyone supposed to know exactly what options a 15yr old car had from the factory

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Technically they are all optional extras which are supposed to be declared. However I think that's a very strict thing for them to enforce. Especially when the cars not new, how is anyone supposed to know exactly what options a 15yr old car had from the factory
I've never known an insurer to care about OEM parts, even when they aren't from the same car. I phoned my girlfriend's insurers to tell them I'd put wheels from a 3rd gen Mazda 6 on her 2nd gen one and they didn't want to know.
Is there even a box to write down optional extras in? There's no way you'd write them in the modifications bit because they aren't.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
It was always the case with all insurers and the question specifically said any modifications or factory optional extras but it seems some now include this as standard for extras.

Extreme example but if I insure a Mégane trophy R, someone runs into the front corner and destroys my optional extra carbon wheel and carbon ceramic brakes, a £3000 fix is now a £20,000 fix

RenaultSport 197
Thank you all for your support. My 197 clearly has the Cup Package - factory fitted. The Renault App shows it had the Black Anthracite Alloy wheels fitted at the Factory as an option (Thanks for this information Lewis). My car is identical to Sir Dave's car with the same Alloys, Recaros and Spoiler. My Insurance Company's definition of a modification is 'A modification is any alteration to the manufacturer's original specification for the vehicle which has been made since the vehicle was built' . Does this mean factory fitted options have to be declared - not clear at all. The carVertical factory specification shows i had the 'Look Sport Equipment Package,' the 'Extreme Equipment Package' and 'Brake package'. Can anyone tell me which of these would be the Cup Package? I am still waiting for my insurer to follow up on my complaint. Have had the bump repaired at my local paint shop and have now managed to get insurance through Admiral. Have declared the wheels, the Spoiler as modifications to ensure that I get insurance and can't be caught out. Also had to declare insurance cancelled and no fault accident. My insurance cost is now twice what it was last year. Is an exhaust repair with a new rear silencer and all the rest factory fitted a modification? - how is anyone supposed to know? If I am not able to resolve this I will follow up with Ombudsman. My old insurance documents also state that when they have a car repaired they are allowed to use non OEM spares and even recycled parts. How does that fit in with owners having to declared modifications when they reserve the right to do what the want when they have your car repaired !!!! Alex

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Made since the vehicle has been built means you DO NOT have to declare optional extras.

If you look at the wording direct line use in comparison, they want options declared.
Screenshot_20240608-104547.png