ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance renewal after an accident

Just received a letter from Green Light saying my insurance is up for renewal however they aren’t looking to offer another year’s cover due to the two claims I’ve made in the last 2 years.

I’m 29 next month and have been driving since I was 18. I've had my own insurance for 5 years now however I’ve had two recent accidents (resulting in claims). The first accident was 2 years ago and wasn’t really my fault. The third party got a friend to say they witnessed the accident and backed up his fairy tale story which contradicted a real witness statement. As the damage was to my car only (£1k damage) I accept the blame otherwise as I faced a 200+ mile journey to London for a small claims court settlement. The second accident (almost a year ago) was my fault, again the damage was to my vehicle only.

The total repair costs, from both accidents, was around £3k. Over the last 5 years I’ve paid in excess of £7k on insurance.

I love my 172 however I’m sick of paying ridicules money for insurance. My other half is 25 and has only been driving for two years. Her insurance is less than a third of what I’m currently been quoted. Even though she drives 1.2l 05 reg car it doesn’t really justify the vast difference.

I cant decide wether to shell out and keep it or trade it in for a newer grandpa car...

Last edited:
nah just a 172ff

my other half is with admiral and a friend said i should get joint cover for both her and my car. then make her the main driver?

anyone done this? is it legal and does it reduce your premium?

clio sport f1 r27
iv got 8 points in the last 5 years and 5 that are under 3 years old and a write off in aug 2007 costing 12000 and im under £900 on my 197 f1

Preecy, the main driver should be whoever drives the car the most. If you use the car for commuting it is feasible they would invalidate the insurance if you had an accident while travelling to work (fairly obvious then who the main driver should be!) If the car is only used for social use, it would be easier to claim she really is the main driver.

marky-f1, who & how did you get your insurance with @ £900? The best quote i've had so far is £1,350 with an excess of £400!!!

Your car's faster and worth twice mine plus your points and claims amount to more than mine too!

Scagge, i do use it for commuting to work so i adding the missus as the main driver was probably a bad idea... even though i feel the insurnace brokers are screwing me over!

The insurance game is a f@@king joke! Even with the two claims i made my insurance broker has still made a couple of £thousand profit from me over the last 5 years. I've had minor damage to my car twice and paid for the repair rather than claiming for it (dents from other car doors/shopping trolleys).

Im now concidering giving the wife my car and taking her car (clio 1.2 dynamic :( ). I'd use hers for work and the 172 at the weekend. I suppose i do more mileage than her so it works out cheaper (better mpg). I ran a couple of online quotes for her on the 172 and me on the dynamic and it works out £600 cheaper in total :(