ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance Renewal time... the quotes so far

Sunflower Ph1 172
It's insurance renwal time in a couple of days, and I've spent the past few weeks collating quotes. I seem to get fisted for insurance every year, so I was hoping it'd come down by a long way this year. Hopefully this will serve as a bit of a guide for people in a similar situation. One two occasions I changed car half way through the policy, so it's hard to remember the exact prices, but from doing a few calculations I can tell you I've paid over £8,000 (almost the deposit on a house) in insurance over the past 3 years (TPFT!), last year was ~£2200

Armed with 3 years NCB, and a year older I was hoping to finally get some reasonable quotes... Oh how wrong I was. All the detials are below.

To give everyone a clear picture, and show there isn't anything out of the ordinary I've listed all my insurance relevant details below, so I'm not hiding a 'death by dangerous driving' conviction or something stupid.

Sex: Male
DOB: April 1990 (22)
Car: RenaultSport Clio 172 (Ph1)
Modifications: Coilovers & Cat Back Exhaust
Parked: Driveway
Driving Since: Dec 2007 (4.5years)
License Type: Full UK
Lived in the UK: Since 1995

NCB: 3 Years
Mileage per annum: ~15000
Cover Type: Social, Domestic and Commuting.
Motoring Convictions: 3 points (SP50 June 2008)
None Motoring Convictions: None

Accidents: 1 crash, non fault, April 2008 (Loss Value £800)

Received my renewal from Adrian Flux.

Adrian Flux (Renewal)
£1896.00Third Party, Fire & Theft

2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Quote
Fully Comprehensive
£2224.00
Monthly payment premium is ~25% (from what I remember)

Brentacre
£1389.99
Fully Comprehensive
- £500 excess
- £75 Windscreen Excess (doesn’t effect NCB)
- Free Modifications
- Legal Cover
- Key Care
Monthly Payment Premium (14%)
- £500 Deposit
- 10 x £103.00

Sky Insurance
Couldn’t provide a quote – will only insure over 25s on WA postcode.

Greenlight
According to website they don’t insure Clio 172
Was advised by a CS member that this is only true for ‘cup’ models.

Received email stating:

“We are unable to cover this model vehicle due to our claims experience”

Elephant (Admiral Group)
£3942
Fully Comprehensive
- Voluntary excess £150
- Compulsory Excess £250

Bell (Admiral Group)
£3202.09
Fully Comprehensive

Flux Direct (through beatthatquote.com)
Fully Comprehensive
£6795.98

I think my detials are relatively typical of a 'young driver' but at 22 I'd have thought it'd start coming down a long way. Looks like I'll have to go through Brentacre, but as I'll be moving insurere I'm going to have to pay a deposit, which is a little frustrating when I'm trying to get the new engine complete, and the car back on the road.

Anyone else having similar quotes?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
The brentacre quote is good mate. My renewal with them was 900 pounds in a Baghdad post code, however I have 2 more years ncb and 6 points.

Im 22 also.

BMW 535d
I fail to see why the expense is so great. I had a 100% fully declared turbo for £1639 and that was when I was 22. You guys must literally live in Baghdad

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I fail to see why the expense is so great. I had a 100% fully declared turbo for £1639 and that was when I was 22. You guys must literally live in Baghdad
LOL Ongar is well posh so you can't talk!

You guys must literally live in Baghdad

Easily the most stupid thing I've read for a while.

I have a similar group postcode as Bren and I know for a fact that I live in a very nice part of Manchester, I'm sure where Bren lives is nice also.

People assume that a badly rated postcode = warzone. I'm lumped with the fact that the "M" postcode has bad statistics, as does most of Manchester and the surrounding areas.

PB Clio 172
I had the same problem with Greenlight, what a crap company they are who do not insure Clio 172's- fantastic

Also the fact that you are a year older doesnt make much difference. Your no claims does. over 25 is a brand of age so once over that you should be better off.

Sunflower Ph1 172
The brentacre quote is good mate. My renewal with them was 900 pounds in a Baghdad post code, however I have 2 more years ncb and 6 points.

Im 22 also.

I was hoping for somethin near £1000, I certainly wasn't expecting to still get quotes over £2000.

I have a similar group postcode as Bren and I know for a fact that I live in a very nice part of Manchester, I'm sure where Bren lives is nice also.

People assume that a badly rated postcode = warzone. I'm lumped with the fact that the "M" postcode has bad statistics, as does most of Manchester and the surrounding areas.

Although Warrington isn't the nicest of places, I actually live right on the outskirts, and it's a really quiet area. Apparently my area is a hotspot for insurance fraud though, how true that is, I don't know.

I think it's just the case that I'm right bang in the middle of Liverpool and Manchester, two of statistically the worst postcodes in the North West.

BMW 535d

How is it a stupid thing to say?

Not my fault you live in a s**t hole :)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I had the same problem with Greenlight, what a crap company they are who do not insure Clio 172's- fantastic

Would you prefer they wasted your time and quoted you £40,000 to put you off instead ?

If insuring 172s isn't a good business case for them based on their history with the cars, why would they put themselves at risk !?

PB Clio 172
Would you prefer they wasted your time and quoted you £40,000 to put you off instead ?

If insuring 172s isn't a good business case for them based on their history with the cars, why would they put themselves at risk !?

If all other insurance companies would insure me bar them, whats the problem ?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member

Also the fact that you are a year older doesnt make much difference. Your no claims does. over 25 is a brand of age so once over that you should be better off.

No it doesn't.. Most no claims are worthless these days anyway due to people protecting them (which is a complete sham)

The fact he has an accident, points and lives in a badly rated area is the reason his insurance is so high

Sunflower Ph1 172
I have JUST done a quote with Bretacre,

£960 with 2yr ncb and 1 claim, 22 also :)

Your standard unlimited mods up to 180bhp.

I'll be sure to mention that to them when I speak to them again this afternoon. I'm sure it won't make an ounce of difference though. I'm beginning to think there isn't anywhere else that will be competitve, plus they have a 'relatively' low APR on the repayments compared to someone like flux.

Last edited:

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I was hoping for somethin near £1000, I certainly wasn't expecting to still get quotes over £2000.

No chance I don't think mate. Post code statistics are a massive factor in premiums and that coupled with the relatively low NCB, age and the stats associated with the car its self = £££ :(

Something like that yeah, here's my payment options:

#1 - 959.99
#2 deposit 383.99, interest £30, 3 payments of £201.99
#3 deposit 335.99, finance £87.36, 10 installments of £71.14

Unsure which to go with, will probably be #2

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Brentacre is great for payment.

The way they do it is you pay whatever deposit you like and then have up to three months to pay it off. Its £10 interest per month.

Their DD scheme is a lot better in comparison to other insurers, you'll save around 5% interest compared to others.

Sunflower Ph1 172
Brentacre is great for payment.

The way they do it is you pay whatever deposit you like and then have up to three months to pay it off. Its £10 interest per month.

Their DD scheme is a lot better in comparison to other insurers, you'll save around 5% interest compared to others.

I didn't know there was other options, but with mine being so high I'm happy with a 10 month repayment plan with the APR being somewhat reasonable.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Yeh. Im in my second year with Brentacre. Originally done it each month but this year I was able to pay it off within the two months as my Ignis was a bargain!

i couldn't be happier with them if I'm honest.

Ph1, Z4, TR3a, SV650
Don't know if its been mentioned yet, or if it works for everyone, but my insurance went down a lot when i said it's parked on the road instead of on the driveway :D

Sunflower Ph1 172
Yeh. Im in my second year with Brentacre. Originally done it each month but this year I was able to pay it off within the two months as my Ignis was a bargain!

i couldn't be happier with them if I'm honest.

The guy I spoke to seemed to know what he was talking about too, where as the girl I spoke to at flux actually admitted she knew nothing about cars. I'm going to call Brentacre, and see what the best option is for me. I'm giong on holiday next month so I can't really afford 2-3 big payments at the moment.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
The guy I spoke to seemed to know what he was talking about too, where as the girl I spoke to at flux actually admitted she knew nothing about cars. I'm going to call Brentacre, and see what the best option is for me. I'm giong on holiday next month so I can't really afford 2-3 big payments at the moment.

This always helps. When I had my 1.2 he egged me on to get a 2.0 conversion done at some point as he had done one lol.

I know they wont quote for you at the moment but Sky will also do the plus £30 and pay in 4 payments.

I did this last year and want to do it this year but might go for the longer option as saving spending money for a holiday.

try privilege mate.. they were they cheapest by far for me at 1100 paying over the yr.. 200ish deposit and then the rest over 10 months

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Have you tried Livingstones Warman?

I live I'm Manc and own an s2000, LWIB they were extremely competitive!

Manc is stupidly expensive due to insurance fraud, NOT car theft, vandalism etc. I believe Blackpool and Brighton are also expensive for this reason.

Sunflower Ph1 172
Well, sick of thinking about it now, so I've just paid a deposit with Brentacre, so looks like I won't be having any nights out this month.

Deposit: £486.50
Repayments: 10 x £103.00
fully comp
£500 excess
windscreen cover
key cover
legal cover
free modifications up to max 180hp

...and yes, they did make a point that the Swansea manager is also called Brendan Rogers.:clown:

Have you tried Livingstones Warman?

I live I'm Manc and own an s2000, LWIB they were extremely competitive!

Manc is stupidly expensive due to insurance fraud, NOT car theft, vandalism etc. I believe Blackpool and Brighton are also expensive for this reason.

You have to be 25. :(

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Well, sick of thinking about it now, so I've just paid a deposit with Brentacre, so looks like I won't be having any nights out this month.

Deposit: £486.50
Repayments: 10 x £103.00
fully comp
£500 excess
windscreen cover
key cover
legal cover
free modifications up to max 180hp

...and yes, they did make a point that the Swansea manager is also called Brendan Rogers.:clown:

When I renewed this year the operator had the exact same name as myself. Was weird when I had to ring back.

'Can I speak to James'
'can I ask whos calling?'
'eh... James.'

Oh yeah, Have you tried putting you parents on your insurance as named drivers with EUI group. Brought mine down a few thousand pounds :)

MR2 Mk1.5
When I renewed this year the operator had the exact same name as myself. Was weird when I had to ring back.

'Can I speak to James'
'can I ask whos calling?'
'eh... James.'

LOL! surely that cannot be the first time you've spoken to another James?

DB.

BMW 440i
I love phoning Brentacre. Always get through and have everything sorted so quickly.

When I told him about going from the 182 to a Golf, I was getting banter for leaving the french cars as well.

Cracking people to deal with, although I have never had to claim, that's when you find out how good a company really is!

Undercut all my other quotes by £3-400 minimum though!