ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance renewal

clio 182FF
Not sure if this is the right section but I have got my insurance renewal through. I'm 22, have 2 years named driver no claims and have been driving since 17 with no claims( named driver no claims though!)

currently with admiral on a multi car policy which my mums car and sister is also on.( dads is company car)

Now my insurance last year was £950 or so. The multi car policy meant everyone saved a little. This year I have been quoted £720 by admiral of course.

I just went on go compare and the cheapest quotes are from elephant, admiral and diamond ( pretty sure these are all the same group) and they are around the £570 mark. Now this is cheaper than admiral are offering me on the multi car policy. Just wondering if anyone knows if admiral will match or as its a ,unlit car policy beat this price?

Obviously I can ring to check this anyway but was wondering if anyone else had experience with this and also if they think I could get cheaper insurance with someone who isn't on the compare sites? Oh and by the way this is on my 182!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Is this in your own name? £570 seems very cheap for a 22 year old without proper NCD. Unless you park in Fort Knox and do 5 miles a year?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
The others are cheaper because they are not multicar???

PH1 Clio 172
Also on comparison sites most quotes are offered with an online discount so hen you get the renewal the following year it will be much more as there are no discounts.
most average 20% discount in my experience.

clio 182FF
Yes in my own name. Live in a low band insurance area. Mileage put down was 8k I think and parked on driveway,£250 excess. I have 2 years proper no claims- may have been confusing how I wrote it. VRS, do you reckon they would match the online price? Or are you meaning they wouldn't?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'm confused, if it beats your renewal quote, just don't renew, then buy this new quote you've got???

clio 182FF
They are not multicar nope. But I'm pretty sure there is no contract or whatever, so basically the multicar is a waste to do again as for this year it will actually cost me more money. I reckon it's a standard trick they pull as once everyone is with them they know maybe most people CBA to change it all over after and so charge abit more.

clio 182FF
Well yes exactly which is what I think I will do. Just strange the quote they gave me is a lot more and multicar is supposed to give a discount. But as the guy above said could be down to online discount maybe.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Whenever I've done multicar it's come out more than 2 separate quotes.

Leon FR - Clio Sold.
Basically all renewals are more expensive than a fresh quote because you wont get all the discounts of a new policy like online discount and all the others. I work in insurance so if you need anything answered ask me lol.

Little tip *Never accept their renewal offer that comes in the post* Always call them and *make* them lower the price. Always works because they want your business.

And I work in claims so I know about the NCD, Excess, Courtesy cars and hire cars.... and all thats in between. Some people will never understand insurance until you have to work with it. Load of s**t lol

clio 182FF
Thanks guys. So Chris, can I actually get the price from online of the admiral group insurers? Or would I not get that price as I'm already on a policy with them? I'm a little confused now! And yeh I was reading up on the no claims and that seems like it starts getting pretty complicated...

clio 182FF
Think I remember a few like that actually, thanks for reminding me flippo! Pretty annoying when you are about to pay and you realise that!

Leon FR - Clio Sold.
Admiral do the 10 month thing as a 'Bonus Accelerator' so you can build your no claims quicker. So basically you get a full year NCD but only have to wait 10 months.

This for some reason costs you more even though its a shorter policy. But this is optional! You can change it to 12 months.

Lucky, if your going with Admiral you will get a courtesy car as standard if your car is repairable in the even tof an accident whether its your fault or not. However if your car is written off you wont get a CC as its the repair garage that actually provides the CC not the insurer. If your car is written off and you have paid for the extra of a Hire car, you will get a Car whether your car is written off or repairable but the hire car is for either a 14-21 day period only.

I wouldnt get that online quote and just buy it. I would call the renewals team first and see what they can decrease the price to. If you mention that you have done a new quote online with them at a much cheaper price, quote them the new quote reference number (Will be AD MOT or AD APT) and they will reduce the price. Cant gaurantee by how much but they will decrease it a fair amount.

clio 182FF
Ok thanks that's great :) ill give them a ring and see what I can do, I guess it's an obvious tactic to give a high ish renewal price as most people just pay it, especially if it is a lower price than the previous year which for young drivers it is likely to be!

PH1 Clio 172
Yes in my own name. Live in a low band insurance area. Mileage put down was 8k I think and parked on driveway,£250 excess. I have 2 years proper no claims- may have been confusing how I wrote it. VRS, do you reckon they would match the online price? Or are you meaning they wouldn't?
Chances are they won't match it. New online premiums give a pretty automatic online discount, that's why they're always cheaper than your current insurers renewal.
only way to find out is call Admiral to see if they can match it.

Leon FR - Clio Sold.
Exactly mate all insurers do it. But to be honest ALL insurance premiums will be increasing gradually anyway to pay for all the false whiplash claims and 'Multiple occupant' injuries... Ridiculous.

Glad I could help too lol