ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance Warning - optional extras - told tonight

Renaultsport Clio 182 ff
Wish, i had never answered the questions i was asked.......

"has your clio 182, any modifications at all, including from Factory New?"

"what exactly do you mean by that?" i asked.....

I have been told tonight, that very shortly this will come from most insurance Companies.

They are even looking at optional extras, from factory to get more money out of you...... and was told tonight this will come into force very soon!

Because i told the truth about the car having Full Cup Pack, Anthracite Wheels, larger tailgate spolier, lower & stiffer suspension even though from the previous owner, and from factory NEW, it has doubled my insurance!

So what ever car you have , even if optional extras from New added, and paid for from New, this will increase your premium and they want to know about it, crazy.....!

So if you bought a FORD CMAX New for instance and added Ford Alloys, in a different colour other than standard silver, then this will increase your premium!

car insurance going mad ha!

I did tell them there are probably thousands of people who dont even know this...... running around with different colour alloys, or even 1 size up, from standard bought from NEW
But it could make a difference when you claim! :mad:

Titanium 182
Which company ?

Fcuk em TBH, I give them the reg plate and that's how it came from the factory, deal wid it.

Although all my mods are decalred.

Renaultsport Clio 182 ff
Old news. People have known this (re cup packs) for years.

sorry for the old news, but i have had the car insured with them for 2 years, but tonight for the renewal they wanted a value on the replacement of the cup pack fitted from New, and they are now charging double, because the car has every avaliable extra fitted from New!:mad:

Renaultsport Clio 182 ff
Which company ?

Fcuk em TBH, I give them the reg plate and that's how it came from the factory, deal wid it.

Although all my mods are decalred.
this is what i did also 2 years ago, but diff questions being fired at me now..... as it is recorded, dont see that you can lie..... etc

Ph 1 172
f**k me thats a bit harsh!!! although i was speaking to a guy recently about insurance and he was telling me they are going through the roof at the moment! thankfully ill be taking the insurance out with sky because they were much better than anyone else!

Da

Less
I do not know how they can ever inforce this - I mean how many Joe Bloggs out there would actually know whether or not their car had 'optional extras'.

Reg plate = done, it's how it left the factory.

I dont think its really something new, most insurers do ask the question. As said above though unless you buy the car from new most people wont have a clue.

I think it would be extremely rare for an insurer to turn down a claim because of it, they just may use it as an excuse so they dont have to replace said optional extra

Its sad that you've declared things that the average wouldnt, I.e. how it left the factory have made them take advantage of that fact and rape you for it.

Ring different insuerers imo. Aftermarket mods declared, But factory optional extras really shouldnt push it up that much imo.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I have been asked to declare optional extras in the past but on the Williams, 172 and 182 I didn't have any. I thought that was standard procedure.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i thought thats always been the case or atleast it has for the last 5 years ive insured cars, not that any of my cars have optional extras.... or mods...

1.5dci
so how would this work if u had a particular spec, so for example, i've call mine a 1.5 clio, but would i need to declare that it's billabong spec and have that increase the insurace from standard?

lol when we sold the mk3 fiesta private i think we just said fiesta, not that it was the special edition with every extra you could put on a fiesta 14 years ago! could that get the boy in trouble if he hasn't realised it wouldn't have had both airbags and elec windows etc as standard?

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
They will know the model from the reg, but won't know if you opted for xenons, climate control or different wheels etc that are different from the original spec.

Should have told them no and found someone else. Especially at double the price.

It's standard. You haven't added anything aftermarket.

1.5dci
ah right, so i'm guessing this will make receipts for it originally and for all work done since alot more important than it has before when buying second hand. At least you'd know what to declare then

Clio200 EDC Lux
wtf the most rediculous thing I have ever heard, my megane has optional xenons, climate control, bigger alloys, body kit and spoiler all fitted by renault at the factory. When asked I said I have not modified since it left the renault factory.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
my cars 10 years old how the hell would i know what was an optional extra at the time...

what about the mk1.. thats 30 years old lol!!

Ph 1 172
wtf the most rediculous thing I have ever heard, my megane has optional xenons, climate control, bigger alloys, body kit and spoiler all fitted by renault at the factory. When asked I said I have not modified since it left the renault factory.

This is spot on because in theory the car is standard from how it cam out of te factory as it was Renault who put them on there lol. And what about the people who have te oz f1 allys on there 172s but in there optional 16" form not 15 I think I would go else where

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
ive been asked this,

did it have any modifications when it left the factory?!?

im sorry but when insuring second hand cars do they even expect people to know this??

i just said something along the lines of "you have my reg, if you're interested contact the manufacturer because i dont know what kit comes with them standard, im no mechanic."

you have to draw a line somewhere, because different tyres is a mod,
so is having a funky tax disc holder :O!

can never win with these people.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Think about this, you write your car off and the assessor comes to look at it, he'll have no f**king idea if it has cup packs or not! Believe me I am one.

Also if the alloys have a ford badge on them he isn't going to say they are aftermarket because he'll assume that it left the factory like that!

He will then go to value it and see 100 different variations of clio and be boggled.

320d
Why did you reel off the contents of the cup pack. Thats just stupid as they'll input all those mods seperately and charge as if it was a proper mod.

I mean if my Mum bought one how would she know what was included in a cup pack?

Should have said 'it says cup packs' and played dumb.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
What a load of shite. Someone stole my dust caps and i replaced them with different ones...ok ur insurance has gone up now?!

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
What a load of s**te. Someone stole my dust caps and i replaced them with different ones...ok ur insurance has gone up now?!

Each dust cap is a seperate mod... thats 4 modifications you have made :nono:

Hasn't this always been the case with new mini's and the "chilli pack". Its complete bulls**t and just insurance companies f**king us over.

This is why companies like sky and brentarce are so good, they arern't tw*ts!

Renaultsport Clio 182 ff
well thanks for all the feedback, re this story....lol

i was on the phone over 1 hour, explaining i thought it was going too far! But that did not help me at all, they are simply not interested.
Bottom line is, accept the quote or not! although the car has been with them over 2 years, sinse i bought the 182!

problem is now, i have my little run about with them also on sharing the no claims discount of over 11 years, 65%, fiesta turbo diesel van. 2001

So i need to find someone to take on them both, otherwise the fiesta will cost a fortune with no / no claims bonus discount, as it will be on the clio, if i do them both separate!

all fun i guess.....

beginning to think the same, i should have said "NO" from day one, should have read what is on the log book - it reads Clio 182, i dont know if any extras are on it from New / Factory"

anyway just to give you a laugh, last 2 years has cost £405 to insure all singing / dancing, now they want £875.00...lmao :mad:
and big thanks for PM from Sky Insurance

If it gets damaged, they'll use the VIN number to order the parts required... so you'll get cup parts.

If it gets written off, you'll get money back and cup packs add f**k all to a second hand 182 so you can just buy another one.

No need to mention cup packs at all.

It is a load of nonsense, think about all the older generation BMWs, feck all came standard on them! So in that case, there must be thousands of people running around with void insurance because they have no idea what was optional!

what a load of shite. trading standards their greedy arses. actually thgat wont work. call them s**t and go with sky/flu/brentacre.

Dodgy one
Told mine about the cup packs but said it doesnt have any of it left on anymore lol, Mods FTW, Insurance companys who dont add extra to premiums. bonus!!

Coilies, Wheels, Fiter, exhaust etc :)

Clio 182 arctic
the girl on the phone from elephant took away my declared optional extras. i declared active/sports suspension + alloy wheels. she then went away for 2mins checked. then said the car was standard. i have a 182 with all cup packs. i took her name, date, time etc incase anything comes of it as i declared them only for her to say they are standard.

Renaultsport Clio 182 ff
well big thanks Oliie, SKY Insurance

phoned up today mentioned your name & cliosport.net

2005 / 182 FF - with mods, & factory optional extras - both cup packs

£460.00 :approve:

and fiesta van - £341.00 :approve:

happy chappy.....

MR2 Mk1.5
well big thanks Oliie, SKY Insurance

phoned up today mentioned your name & cliosport.net

2005 / 182 FF - with mods, & factory optional extras - both cup packs

£460.00 :approve: