ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insuring a 172 Cup TPFT?

Saxo VTR
Hi,

Is it a stupid idea insuring a 172 Cup TPFT? Anyone else here do it?

Reason for me asking is I currently own a Saxo VTR and I want a change, my insurance is up at the end of July and I want a 172 Cup. Thing is, with me being only 18 and having 1 Years NCB, insurance is a little high.

I'm getting quotes of £2k TPFT, which I know is ridiculously high, but that's what I paid for last year on the Saxo. FC is well out of budget.

Am I being stupid considering TPFT?

Thanks

Titanium 182
try it on admiral and add your parents on the policy,

If not do it anyway you will probably die driving a cup at 18 so dont worry about it

Life (could be) too short ;)

**I do not endorse taking my advice**

i have a similar problem to you but iam 22 and dont have any no claims. hopefully i will be buying a cup very soon and will insure it tpft, will be around £190 per month.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
i wouldnt bother yet at that price.im hacked off at paying 500 quid a year to insure it. love the car though. probs better off keeping the vtr for now or getting another and stripping it out. build up a no claims before considering it. that 2k will go along way in terms of fuel etc.....

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
i wouldnt bother yet at that price.im hacked off at paying 500 quid a year to insure it. love the car though. probs better off keeping the vtr for now or getting another and stripping it out. build up a no claims before considering it. that 2k will go along way in terms of fuel etc.....

had a vtr vts and cup. looking back should of held onto the vtr longer

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you can't afford to insure it Fully comp, don't bother.

I made the mistake about 10 years ago. Bought an XR3i and could only just manage the £2k insurance TPFT, and about 7 months into ownersjip, I lost the lot after writing it off. That accident and insurance and the car cost me about £5000. Not happy.

I definately wouldn't bother mate.

BMW E46 330i Touring
If you can't afford to insure it Fully comp, don't bother.

I made the mistake about 10 years ago. Bought an XR3i and could only just manage the £2k insurance TPFT, and about 7 months into ownersjip, I lost the lot after writing it off. That accident and insurance and the car cost me about £5000. Not happy.

I definately wouldn't bother mate.

Exactly the same happened to me with my old 106 XSi, I'll never get TPFT insurance on a relatively expensive car again.

I'll avoid the whole "young driver, fast car" debate and just stick with the statement that, with these cars FC insurance is really the only advisable option.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
i pay £2.2k for my 172 as im 18 but the difference is mine is fully comp so all is well :)

i honestly wouldnt bother with TPFT unless you can lose £2k and the cost of the car.

/carl

Shed.
id of loved to learn to drive in a cup. All those days of plaing rally games and Gran turismo definately paid off.

Hi,

Reason for me asking is I currently own a Saxo VTR and I want a change, my insurance is up at the end of July and I want a 172 Cup. Thing is, with me being only 18 and having 1 Years NCB, insurance is a little high.

I'm getting quotes of £2k TPFT, which I know is ridiculously high, but that's what I paid for last year on the Saxo. FC is well out of budget.

Thanks

no you are not being stupid...i insured my full fat 172 TPFT...as long as you drive sensibly you should be fine...

i paid £300 for the year...from what i remember...

BMW E46 330i Touring
It's not just about driving sensibly though, and if TPFT insurance waS £300, surely fully comp would've been affordable also?

What if, for example, a tyre blew whilst you were driving home, which sent you veering into a central reservation, writing the car off?

You would lose the entire value of the car, just like that.

I

invisible man

Hi,

Thanks

no you are not being stupid...i insured my full fat 172 TPFT...as long as you drive sensibly you should be fine...

i paid £300 for the year...from what i remember...

Your full fat version has A.B.S. brakes, Traction control & Electronic Stability control.
T.B.H. I wouldn't recommend an 18 year old buying the cup, it is an experienced drivers car and can be a real handfull, especially in the wet.
Anders0n why not buy a something in between, and hopefully live till your 19.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Hardly the end of the world is it.. Sure if you're in an Enzo doing 170 then a blown drive tyre is probably going to be a problem.

But can't see anyone able to handle their car crashing in 99% of situations because of a blown tyre.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
So no real comment on the topic (even though it's off topic).. Hmm interesting. But a nice link you made with the username.. Kudos to you!

You have PM:)

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
boy at my work was driving a "van" focus diesel estate from one of the officed in carlisle back up to scotland, he was over taking some one about 70 mph ( the vans/cars are limited to this speed) he hit some thing on the road which blew his rear tyre causeing the car to fish tail wildly, he tried to correct and miss the car he over took, the car spun hitting a batrrier then rolled 3 times he nearly died.

TPFT, is not worth it IMO. you can be as careful as you want but if a D*ckhead who is not so careful crashes into you and drives off before you can get details on night or caves inthe side of your car in a carpark, you left with the bill.
Also alot of places wonth let you get TPFT on cars over 5k. surely it would be a bucket of a cup if you got it for under 5k?

Try flexibell they are very reasonable for those with low NCB.

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
Do it.

I'm 19 and insure my 172, TPFT.
If you crash it and lose everything, then your own fault and you deserve f**k all.

I have a mate who has written off all THREE of his cars. I think I'd much rather pay less of an insurance premium which'll make sure i don't drive like a dickhead, than pay fully comp knowing it's going to be ok.

and as for the "172 cup is an experienced drivers car, you'll kill yourself."

It's a f**king clio.

You will find that someplaces are actually cheaper to insure FC. And its because of idiots like above, that only insure TPFT,just to be insured, so check with companies prices for both.

Black Gold with cup packs
Do it.

I'm 19 and insure my 172, TPFT.
If you crash it and lose everything, then your own fault and you deserve f**k all.

I have a mate who has written off all THREE of his cars. I think I'd much rather pay less of an insurance premium which'll make sure i don't drive like a dickhead, than pay fully comp knowing it's going to be ok.

and as for the "172 cup is an experienced drivers car, you'll kill yourself."

It's a f**king clio.

Merk they are not called Ditch finders for nothing fella!
Buy one, and find out for yourself!
Because if you take that sort of attitude to the car you will crash it!

Saxo VTR
Tried Admiral, they came out with £2500 TPFT and £3000 FC, so that's out of the question. Cheapest was £1933.41 TPFT from MyMotorQuote.

Like you lot say, insuring a car worth around £5k TPFT is not really the way forward. One little mistake and it's all gone. Think I'll wait till I have 2 years NCB under my belt so I can afford to go FC.

Whilst I was on Admiral I ran some quotes through for the VTR, £1100 TPFT and £1250 FC, which is the cheapest I've had by a mile, so I think my best option is to keep the Saxo for 1 more year.

Thanks for the help lads.

Tried Admiral, they came out with £2500 TPFT and £3000 FC, so that's out of the question. Cheapest was £1933.41 TPFT from MyMotorQuote.

Like you lot say, insuring a car worth around £5k TPFT is not really the way forward. One little mistake and it's all gone. Think I'll wait till I have 2 years NCB under my belt so I can afford to go FC.

Whilst I was on Admiral I ran some quotes through for the VTR, £1100 TPFT and £1250 FC, which is the cheapest I've had by a mile, so I think my best option is to keep the Saxo for 1 more year.

Thanks for the help lads.
Nice to see someone be sensible :)

hats of to you:)

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
if you gotta ask people how to insure your car your a bit of a moron anyway, do you ask people what water you should drink ?

172 FF
TPFT is for a car that you can replace with cash or never had to get a loan out for.. If you will be paying this 172 off over time then pray you never hit something to hard.

If you dink the car causing £300 in repairs then you can fork out you own cash to fix it .. But prang it badly and go past the means of your budget and you will basically have one very expensive garden statue.

Try Swiftcover and Esure.