ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Integra DC5 Turbo

BMW M135i
They're very short stroke due to the revs to keep the dynamic reciprocating mass down so they tend to make less torque than other comparitive engines, which matters slightly less on paper as you still have the revs to make the power.

All proper vtec engines are the same.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Good vid, Neil works on my car.

Personally I'd opt for the supercharger conversion.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
They're very short stroke due to the revs to keep the dynamic reciprocating mass down so they tend to make less torque than other comparitive engines, which matters slightly less on paper as you still have the revs to make the power.

All proper vtec engines are the same.

No they arent a very short stroke, they are a square engine.

They make pretty reasonable torque, they just make more power cause they rev further.

A bit like the 1800 vtec im using for my clio, makes similar torque to a renault 1800 but just masses more power.

The "low" torque will be because its still relying a lot on rpm rather than boost, if you want big torque you need big boost or big capacity, really its a reasonable torque figure for the boost, but just a very good bhp figure.

BMW 330d :)
Nice video. Do they fit a stronger diff and clutch as part of the cost? That turbo looks really tight in there at the back of the engine. I see its got a heat jacket round it but surely it wouldnt get any airflow for cooling back there?

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I'm extremely tempted. I had planned for an old LPG'd T5 as a daily but the Dc5s are tempting me a lot.

2004 Clio 182 cup
My mates made 366bhp same guy paul west mapped it for him he flew him over specialy to do it as work was carried out locally!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 146
  Countryman JCW
No they arent a very short stroke, they are a square engine.

They make pretty reasonable torque, they just make more power cause they rev further.

A bit like the 1800 vtec im using for my clio, makes similar torque to a renault 1800 but just masses more power.

The "low" torque will be because its still relying a lot on rpm rather than boost, if you want big torque you need big boost or big capacity, really its a reasonable torque figure for the boost, but just a very good bhp figure.

Cheers for your input Chip... So is being able to rev further what gives bike engines the ability to make such big bhp for the size of the engine?

What is it exactly that allows a vtec to rev so high and freely in comparison to other engines? Ive read a few of your posts now where you mention that the F4R engine is more suited to boost because its not suitable for high revs from an engineering point of view?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cheers for your input Chip... So is being able to rev further what gives bike engines the ability to make such big bhp for the size of the engine?

What is it exactly that allows a vtec to rev so high and freely in comparison to other engines? Ive read a few of your posts now where you mention that the F4R engine is more suited to boost because its not suitable for high revs from an engineering point of view?

The size of an engine pretty much dictates the torque it will make.

Most petrol 4 stroke car engines will make between 60-80lbft a litre, that really doesnt change much.

Only way to get much more torque than that is forced induction, even the absolute best N/A petrol engines wont get much over 100lbft per litre, even in things like formula 1, it simply cant be done.

So now that we know our 2 litre N/A petrol engine is going to make something vaguely in the region of 140lbft do we also know what power it will make?

Thats what it varies far more, power is a combination of rpm and torque, torque is basically a measure of how much work the engine can do in one cycle and the rpm is how many times it does that work a minute.

So if we can keep that torque output high at big rpm then we can end up with a lot more power.

140lbft at 5252prm = 140bhp
140lbft at 8Krpm = 213bhp

Honda car engines are specifically designed to rev well so that they can make good power, motorbike engines even more so.

From a bottom end point of view the key things to getting an engine to rev well are:
Square bore/stroke ratio or better, as if you have a silly long stroke and a small bore like an F4R does to achieve its 2 litres (its over 10% longer stroke than the honda engine in this thread) then it means that the cylinder being a smaller diameter will restrict the amount of room in the head for large valves and decent flow around those valves, this limits the engines ability to breathe at high rpm.

A long stroke means that you need to either make the engine VERY tall (not good when needing to fit under a bonnet) or you have to limit the length of the rod relative to the throw of the crank, again this is an area where the F4R is massively compromised, a piss poor rod angle from a low rod ratio combined with a long stroke means that the piston speeds in a high revving F4R are actually HIGHER than in a formula 1 car at 19Krpm, what this means is that the burn cant effectively push onto the piston top hard enough cause the piston is rushing away nearly as quick as the burn can get there, so torque at high rpm naturally falls as a result.

Then when you look at the top end, my honda 1800 engine has solid lifters from the factory and can happily rev to 9K+ on the standard top end, the F4R though as hydraulic lifters and weak rockers that start meaning you are taking a risk the moment you go much past 8Krpm as well, so not only does the F4R struggle to make decent power at high rpm, it also suffers from reliability problems if you try for long.

Some engines are simply better than others, and although the F4R is extremely well specced from the factory in terms of the cams etc compared to a lot of engines and hence makes good power as standard, the moment you start trying to tune it you realise how fundamentally rubbish the underpinnings are especially in terms of the geometry which you simpy cant do enough to correct, that size block is only really suitable for a 1600 engine, that would then have a good rod ratio and plenty of valve area, but the head would still stop it revving so no point even trying that one sadly (williams head is better though, you could make a decent 1600 out of a williams)

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
That Chip is a bloody good summary of engine design and how certain characteristics limit or create opportunities of power. Also one of the clearest examples of torque/rpm/power.

Good post! :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks for clearing that up Chip... When's your book out? Lol

Lol, not got any books planned but have been writing technical articles for a few magazines now for best part of last ten years. Quite enjoyed it although dont really do it much anymore due to other commitments

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Can map v-tec to come in earlier aswell, aint watched the vid yet bookmarked for later

If you bring it in too much earlier the power drops as it comes in instead of rising. There is an optimum switchover point where the cams effect on engine VE is the same on either profile, switch at that point and you feel nothing, switch above it you feel a kick, switch below it you feel power drop off.
From the factory they set them a little high on most vtec lumps just so you feel a bit of a kick.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I just got rejected. How could you Chip.

OT interesting input.

e91 330d/type r mini
B18c4 mate.
LSD as standard is a nice bonus too. Lol.
i love my b18 c6 in my mini which iirc is about 155 ft lbs of torque which i think is quite strong for a na b18 but i think its the itb's helping there isnt it?
is it true that the b18 c6 comes with a steel crank as standard or have i mis read it somewhere?
great post earlier on the engines which even i managed to understand so you must of explained it well :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As far as I am aware they are steel but not ever had one tested personally. They do 9k+ though quite happily :)
155 is good torque, about 10 percent up on standard.

e91 330d/type r mini
As far as I am aware they are steel but not ever had one tested personally. They do 9k+ though quite happily :)
155 is good torque, about 10 percent up on standard.
They definately rev well, I think my ultimate rev limit is set at 9.3k and the shift light is set at 8.5k but I still can't seem to change quick enough before hitting the limiter :)
i keep thinking about sticking a turbo on there but think I will regret it

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
They definately rev well, I think my ultimate rev limit is set at 9.3k and the shift light is set at 8.5k but I still can't seem to change quick enough before hitting the limiter :)
i keep thinking about sticking a turbo on there but think I will regret it

With so little weight in your case, the turbo probably isnt going to make you much quicker other than in a straight line in the high gears, and im guessing that isnt what you use the car for much anyway.

CBR1K, F21 125D
Which means Chip is correct, as the H22A7 is a bit of a pig to keep in vtec in higher gears, you need to rape the gearbox.

But the kick is more noticable than the newer lumps.

Unless you get the final drive sorted, then its a hoot.