ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Interest For Car Detailing In Yorkshire.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Basically, Iv just bought a Porter cable of Joe.

I normally hand detail my car, but obviously this is going to take it to a whole new level of perfection and glasslike paintwork.

Basically id be looking to make abit of money back on what iv paid for the PC. Is there many people on here who would be interested in having their car detailed at a pretty reasonable price?

Im going to get abit of practice in on my car first then start moving on to other peoples but was just gauging how many people would be up for having those swirl marks removed :)

I am a regular browser of detailing world etc so i do know what i am doing its just getting practise with the PC.

So, Any one?

Mods: iv put this in detailing as im not formally selling my services yet, but was just seeing if there would be many people interested

Ian

Focus TDCi
I could be tempted Luke, but it would really come down to how much you'd be after and when you could do it. :)

I've got quite a lot of money going out on the Clio already. Does have a hell of a lot of swirls though.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
it wouldn't be anything daft dude... i know some people asking £120+ etc to do it...

As long as the products i end up using are covered and i get a bit of money my way...

Il practise on mine this weekend (get some before and afters) and then stick up a for sale thread with more info and hope for the best!

Clive the Clio no. 2
where abouts in yorkshire and how much are you wanting for it?

i was about to get mine done for like 120 notes, but if its cheaper to drive down, pc my car, bacon sandwich then home, then i might be interested!!

Ian

Focus TDCi
Sounds good, I'll keep an eye out! I shouldn't have thought you'll be too stuck for customers.. makes the car look tons better.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
yeh well i wasn't sure how many people would be bothered about having it done but looks like il be alright as long as i dont ask stupid prices! 120 quid could buy you a second hand PC...
Needed mine doing for a wile so iv just bit the bullet

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
You'd probably get more custom and benefit from doing friends / families cars very cheap or free to build a bit of a portfolio with quality before and after photo's.

Would you have insurance against any damage to the car on the off chance this may happen?

Are you purely offering a machine polish or swirl mark removal? Different prices for each service?

I'm based in Nottm, would you travel or would you only do it at your house? Let me know prices once you've had a think as I may well be interested.

Unfortunately as it's winter you've lost the evenings to work on cars due to darker nights, so I guess it's going to be weekends only?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Alright dude.... Insurance wise - No... I wont be going on to do other peoples cars while i am more confident with using the PC.

From reading up on the net in detail over the past year or so (and contemplating weather to buy a pc) the general concensus (sp?) is you would have to be a complete numpty to actually burn through/ruin the paint. Clean your car.com did a test and found you have to leave it on the paint for ages to get through the clear coat...

So people will just have to trust me :)

Il put a for sale add together when iv built up my skills/portfolio etc!

if i were to ruin anything id cover the cost of getting it sprayed/repaired personally

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Common misconception - It is actually very easy to damage paint even with a PC !

well im hoping to not find that out the hard way! As said i shall practise before doing any one elses car...

Amount of reading i have done into it aswell i am just going to be careful.

Rich il probably be sending you some pms RE paint correction if you dont mind. Got a few cars to practise on so should be fine :cool:

106 GTi
Common misconception - It is actually very easy to damage paint even with a PC !

well im hoping to not find that out the hard way! As said i shall practise before doing any one elses car...

Amount of reading i have done into it aswell i am just going to be careful.

Rich il probably be sending you some pms RE paint correction if you dont mind. Got a few cars to practise on so should be fine :cool:

No probs alot is common sense - but getting strike through clearcoat is easily done if a car has been badly painted etc. It just bugs me there is lots of info of the web (mainly by people selling them) saying that you can't do damage with one !

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
would you recomment buying a paint thickness gauge aswell rich? i see alot of these used just in case

Monaco RS Clio 172
on a side note, I was going to buy a rotary polisher and some pads to do mine.

would love to learn how. I have an old car on the drive I could perhaps practise on.

I am such a complete newbie at this tho that I may end up asking rich silly questions like, do you just use srp with it or what lol

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
yeh ben il be the same :) only way to learn is to f**k up though. as long as i dont f**k up bad its all good :)

i think you can use SRP with the roterys if the swirls aren't that bad as it hardly cuts the paint... in fact i dont even think you would user SRP to remove swirls... maybe just to buff it up on a really slow speed and then slap some EGP on top?

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
would you recomment buying a paint thickness gauge aswell rich? i see alot of these used just in case

Nahwith the G220 its straightforward, read DAve Kg guides and get some menzerna job done. I wouldnt start charging ppl until your very very able

330i. E30 Touring.
Depends on how bad the swirls are.

For example, an old red car with faded red paint, a more abrasive compound would be more suitable.

Yet, a newer paint won't have as much work to do to bring it to it's best, and srp would be perfectly adequate.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster

Nahwith the G220 its straightforward, read DAve Kg guides and get some menzerna job done. I wouldnt start charging ppl until your very very able

Thats the plan matey, going to practise quiet abit first and get abit of a portfolio... The point of this thread was really to see if there is any potential to make some money up this end as i wasn't aware of how many people would be bothered about having it done :)

For example, an old red car with faded red paint, a more abrasive compound would be more suitable.

Yet, a newer paint won't have as much work to do to bring it to it's best, and srp would be perfectly adequate.

so SRP would cut the paint enough to correct swirls on a lightly swirled mondern car?? you sure? id have thought you would have needed to use something with more of a cut in it... megs #80 for example? or are they the same in terms of abrasiveness

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
On terms of money, depends on what you are planning to charge. Once I did my car properly, after all the hours i would want to expect atleast £100 as a baseline. But i cant be arsed doing it!!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
On terms of money, depends on what you are planning to charge. Once I did my car properly, after all the hours i would want to expect atleast £100 as a baseline. But i cant be arsed doing it!!
FLOL. well im abit sad and actually enjoy doing it :eek:... i regularly polish and waax the car by hand andalso clay it occasionally... this is just the next step forward i suppose and im determined to make abit of money doing it

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
FLOL. well im abit sad and actually enjoy doing it :eek:... i regularly polish and waax the car by hand andalso clay it occasionally... this is just the next step forward i suppose and im determined to make abit of money doing it

So did i but getting a swirl free finish is a PITA. Feel good when done. I was a keen detailer once young padawan.

TTRS & V50
I've never used a PC, but use a rotory a lot, and this is a lot faster, yet i have not burnt through paint.

So yes you do have to be a complete numpty, or if your arm's can't handle the appliance near edge's of paint work.

Ive seen people go and do the arch and they have torn through the paint work on the arch as they got to close to the edge and didn't have the rotory in control enough.

A lot is common sense, and the all needed skill 'Attention To Detail'.

And another thing when doing other people's cars, be anal. As if it was your own.

Make sure your using good quality product's, on harder paint use 3m stuff, as this is quite aggressive, but on most paintwork inc french, i'd tend to use the meguiars or sonus range.

My two cent's :)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
cheers for that mate ^^

the one iv bought is a Meguires G220 and its an orbital polisher... so oscillates instead of spins. duno if this makes a difference!

suppose it all just comes down to practice at the end of the day... i did read you have to be really carful on the edges of paintwork (end of bonnet etc)... il just slow it down and step it up gradually i think... gonna do some more reading into it

106 GTi

SRP will do little to nothing in correcting swirls or defects.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster

SRP will do little to nothing in correcting swirls or defects.
woop i was right!

Rich just a quickie... is it ok to use SRP with a machine polisher to just polish the car? not correct anything just protect it?

id have thought it would be ok if i dont turn up the RPM too much

106 GTi
SRP works lovely by machine, cleans up the paint nicely for a wax or sealant while leaving some protection behind and nice finish. Ideally you should add something over it for proper durability.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
SRP works lovely by machine, cleans up the paint nicely for a wax or sealant while leaving some protection behind and nice finish. Ideally you should add something over it for proper durability.

Ah thanks for that... im guessing it would be EGP to add on it

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
I'll be interested as soon as i get a car!
i'm always cleaning and polishing by hand so would be a good idea to get it perfect to carry it on :)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I'll be interested as soon as i get a car!
i'm always cleaning and polishing by hand so would be a good idea to get it perfect to carry it on :)
Exactly the reason iv bought one lol... shame it wont be the mini thats getting sorted out though!