ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Intermitent start problem - DCI

Clio 1.5 DCI
Now and again when I turn the key nothing happends... at all. Other times its fine, cracks over and fires (when cold its a dog to start but perfect when warm).

Now today it did the same trick, nothing first time... then second it cranked over and over then just stopped cranking as if it tried to fire but failed. I left the ignition on and the light which has a "stop" in the middle of it was flashing.

Anyway, ignition off.... tried again and it fired....

Whats that all about please?

Megane dci 130
Just sounds like a simple starter fault to me. Check and clean connections to the battery and the starter motor would be the 1st things to do.

Clio 1.5 DCI
Update..

Took the car to renault so they could run their diagnostics on it but they didnt find anything related to poor starting. Just gave me a few points what to try.

Anyway, as if by magic (since having the car back from renault) its perfect. Starts from cold every time, pre-heater light comes on with ignition and then goes off again after a few seconds..... sorted!

Or so i thought, two days of perfection then back to the same problem of not starting and the light is now back on the dash. The car is obviously mechanically sound... what on earth is causing it to display a fault?? and making it not start as it should?!

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
Im thinking something to do with either the glow plugs or starter motor. Although......

Do you have an alarm on the car?? Mad question, I know but just a thought.

Clio 1.5 DCI
I only have the standard security on the car, immob etc.

I've recently replaced the key batterys as the immob light sometime stayed on.. but this resolved that small problem.

I just dont understand how clearning the memory (fault) can temp fix the car... only for the fault to return a few days later.

try changing the after ignition relay , in the fuse box in engine bay near the battery , if its sticking (common problem on lots of cars ) or you may find water ingress. worth a try if your stuck approx £14 +vat from renault

Clio 1.5 DCI
Sean, do you have a part number?

Sorry if im being dumb.. but will my car have this being diesel and there is no ignition system?