ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Intermittent Brake Problem

Hey all

Got a strange problem with my brakes I would like some help with.

Over the last few weeks every now and again when i brake i get a clunking and grinding noise which feels like its coming from the front of the car. Its a similar feel to when the ABS kicks in on the pedal but it sounds a lot louder.

I've had new pads fitted a couple of months ago so they should be fine, i also had the rear cylinders done and was told the rear shoes were ok as well.

Any ideas what it could be?

Im thinking maybe the pads are slipping and hitting the caliper occasionally?

Oh yeh it tends to happen more when the pedal is pressed lightly. Under heavy braking the car stops perfect with no noise or grinding/clunking.

Thanks

Renault clio 1.8 16v
sounds like the abs is messing about i have the same problem with mine. the abs sensor was brocken up inside just replaced it and it works fine under all braking. euro car parts are the cheapest for them they always give me a good deal cheers:D

Yeh i thought it might have something to do with the ABS sensor. Gotta wait til i get a chance to get the wheels off to see whats going on. Looks like it will be first port of call now.

Had this problem with mine, the ABS rings that the sensors use had cracked so it wasn't reading it properly. Quite a big job to replace need to take the driveshafts off.

Well I had a look yesterday and nothing appears to stand out. Couldn't get the ABS sensor off as the star screw was so rusted on top it just rounded off :-S

Ive been trying to cause the problem and I dont think its the ABS any more. The clunking/vibration seems to be in line with how fast i'm going. The more i slow down the slower the clunking gets. Sounds as if something is catching???

Any more ideas? Im thinking its got to be from the front end as I wouldn't feel the rear brakes as much through the pedal?

Thanks