ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Intermittent Oil Pressure Light

Clio Sport 182
Hi Guys

Every so often when driving my clio 182 the oil pressure and stop light comes on. Obviously this would mean the car has insufficient oil pressure, but the lights are intermittent and can stay on anywhere between a few seconds and half an hour :S. I can't see how you can have intermittent oil pressure as you either have pressure or you don't, surely?
I guess the obvious thing would be the switch, do the switches break often and are they easy to change yourself.

Any Ideas????????

Oh and does anyone live around Wrotham, West Kingsdown and Farningham way with a 182?

Clio Sport 182
i think it is castrol sport something... it hasn't come on in a while, since it has been dry actually. although im not suggesting the wet is triggering the problem

Ex-172 owner. Now a Mini!
I have the same problem at the minute. Have ordered a new oil pressure switch today. Will be fitting it at the weekend so I will tell you if it sorts it and whether it is easy or not?! The part cost £15 from Renault.

Clio Sport 182
I have the same problem at the minute. Have ordered a new oil pressure switch today. Will be fitting it at the weekend so I will tell you if it sorts it and whether it is easy or not?! The part cost £15 from Renault.

That would be great if you could let me know. How often does yours come on at the moment?

It's completely random. Sometimes I think it's gone and then it will pop on. Sometimes it stays on for ages then goes off and comes back on again for a few seconds. No pattern at all to it so thought I'd elliminate the oil pressure switch first. I'll update at the weekend.

BMW M135i
100% way to be sure is to take the oil pressure switch out and get a gauge in there to proove oil pressure. Although i'd go with it 95% being the oil pressure switch, is it leaking out the body of the switch?

Clio Sport 182
I have been told the pressure is fine, and i should really know by now if it wasn't. The problem with changing the switch is that i won't know if that has resolved the problem, as the light has not come on for a while now anyway. But obviously i will change the switch anyway as it is the most likely problem.

Hi, I didn'y get chance to do it over the weekend but I am doing it tonight. The main reason is that I got the wrong size socket for the switch. It's 22mm you need (deep socket). I will update later this evening...

The problem is cured! Took it for a long drive at various speeds and the light stayed off. So thank you very much to anyone who suggested what the problem could be and who have contributed info on this thread.

It was fairly straight forward and didn't take too long. It took me longer to make sure I had the right tools first!! So here's a guide and some pics to help anyone else wanting to do it. I'm no mechanic and if i can do it... anyone can!

Tools needed:
T30 sized Torx
22mm deep socket
10mm deep socket

Firstly, just pull off the rubber strip that lays on top of the front grill above the radiator, as it allows easier access to the whole area.

Then remove the bottom two torx nuts at the bottom of the engine cover with the T30 Torx:

2732647343_b23ae6c710_b.jpg

This will enable the fuel rail cover to slide out after you have undone the two nuts at the front. Use the 10mm deep socket for these:

2732649243_b4e5804e32_b.jpg

Once you have undone these, pull the fuel rail cover towards you so that it slides off its threads.

Then unlug the connection that I have circled to give better access:

2733484198_545c7b3281_b.jpg

Now you will be able to get to the oil pressure switch. Pull the wiring gently off the oil pressure switch (just clips on to the end) so you can get a socket on to the switch. As seen below circled in blue with the wiring already taken off:

2732653879_a9da495873_b.jpg

Try and get your 10mm socket over the oil pressure switch as best you can and then undo it. I had no oil or anything come out of it after leaving the engine to cool for an hour.

The only thing I did that I wouldn't recommend was undoing a nut at the top of a pipe (circled red) to try and gain even better access. This let some oil out and I quickly re-tightened it! Anyone know what it is? I hardly lost anything from it and I managed to replace the oil pressure switch with it still in place.

It's slightly fiddly but it's not hard at all.

Simply reverse the above and reattach everything when done!

Good luck.

BMW M135i
Thats the high pressure feed from the power steering pump, just check the level in the reservior but you should be fine if you didn't loose a lot. Just check its not leaking in operation now.

Ok, thanks for that. Checked under the car this morning and there were no leaks. Will check the resevoir this evening to make sure. If it's pressured will it still be OK since I undid it and released some fluid?

Clio Sport 182
Thanks very much for that silverfox, its' very much appreciated. Do let me know if the light comes on in the future, i will be changing mine soon as it is only £15 and seems very simple to do. I just have to find a 22mm deep socket lying around.

You're welcome. It is simple to be fair.

I had to get a 22m deep socket and the only place I found in Notts, apart from online shops, was Halfrauds and it cost about £6! Found them on Ebay for about £2.

I'll update if the light comes back on but I've been driving it loads and it's still not on so it's definitely cured mine.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
You're welcome. It is simple to be fair.

I had to get a 22m deep socket and the only place I found in Notts, apart from online shops, was Halfrauds and it cost about £6! Found them on Ebay for about £2.

I'll update if the light comes back on but I've been driving it loads and it's still not on so it's definitely cured mine.

Nice guide. I think i might need to re-new mine!

'02 Monaco Blue 172
I had this problem, ordered a new switch from renault on Friday and have just picked it up, the one they have given me looks different though, its not got a green body, its white!
Does anyone know if they are different for different engines? and if the green plastic body swaps,

here's a pic of the one they have given me!

DSC00002.jpg

should this fit?

'02 Monaco Blue 172
yep definately the wrong part!

Just took the old one off and the one they gave me has flat sides, the one on the car is circular, so the plug going into it doesn't fit, damn!

does anyone have the correct part number?