ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Intermittent Speedo Problem

Clio 172 Mk2 Rouge
Driving home last night in my 02 172 FF I had a bit of a speedo problem.

I was doing 70mph then the speedo just dropped to 0 whilst the car was still moving. Any ideas?

No warning lights have come on, on the dash

It also stops any miles clocking up on the odometer which sounds amazing, but is really going to through the service schedule.

Thanks for any help

Ollie

Audi TT 225
loose wire on the back of the dials or loose connection on the speedo sensor on the back of the engine or the sensors nackered

Audi TT 225
back of the engine back look just to the left of the coolant tank then look straight down the back of the engine towards the floor, it should have a little metal guard on it. Had same problem on mine last time I drove it

Clio 172 Mk2 Rouge
Looks fine, if the sensor has gone are they just a standard clio speedo sensor or are they different as its a sport?

Audi TT 225
Try doing the dash test and make sure the speedo needle moves about as it should, if it does the dials are ok, check the connectiions behind the dials in case they're loose, check the connection to the speedo sensor and failing that it must be the sensor....

Audi TT 225
Ohh now you mention it the mk2 might gets the speedo reading from the abs system iirc appart from the cup which also has the sensor on the box.
Duhhh didn't think of that

Clio 172 Mk2 Rouge
Yeah, I read somewhere that it was ABS. Its already been to Renault once, but they couldnt find anything wrong with it

Clio 172 Mk2 Rouge
If they do run off of the ABS what the was the plug on the back of the engine under the little metal cover? Weird

Clio MK2 (1.2)
just a guess, but it could be either the Sensors in the gearbox, if not take it to an Electrician will only cost £100 tops.

Clio 172 Mk2 Rouge
Might just keep pulling random electric bits of engine off. Thats what the guy at Renault seems to do lol

Clio MK2 (1.2)
when it happend to my other car, garage spent a full day tryin to get it fixed but cant, so he didnt charge me, took it to the electrician he had spent all day and finaly decided to change the wire, he presto it worked, and only costed me £100.. though that was good since he spent all day onit

williams 2
the speedo runs off the sensor in the back of the gear box. It can look fine like every thing but it doesn't mean its working fine. The dash on the mk2 is also ecu controlled so the link between them will have to be tested for breaks, short circuits etc.

hope that helps u a little :)

Clio 172 Mk2 Rouge
Cheers, looks like im going to have to find one of those electrical chaps or a friend with a multi-meter

Clio 172 Mk2 Rouge
Just run the diagnostic test for 5mins, and the dials are loving life. Jumping about like man things. Got to be the sensor I guess

172 MKII FF
This happened to mine a few months back. I booked it in at an electricians and they said it was the speedo sensor which clips to the gearbox or something. The part of £25 from Renault and the labour about an hour. Works perfect now.

Ohh now you mention it the mk2 might gets the speedo reading from the abs system iirc appart from the cup which also has the sensor on the box.
Duhhh didn't think of that
Yep Mk2 phase 2 use the ABS system for the speedo however there are a few reputed 172 Mk2 phase2 very easy on in build which use the gearbox sensor unlikly to be this one though.