ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Intermittent squeak from front passenger side

02 Iceberg 172
Hi

Had DS2500's (FCP565H) fitted on the front along with new front rotors and bedded brakes in as directed. Have now got a squeak coming from the passenger side front when not on the brakes and at all speeds but it isn't constant and comes'n'goes. Symptoms include:

- sound is a squeak-squeak-squeak and increases/decreases in speed/frequency with increase/decrease in vehicle speed as if it is a 'rotational' squeaking.
- when it is squeaking it also comes and goes when I turn the wheel slightly left and right ie. turn the car slightly left it decreases/goes away, turn the car slightly right it increases/starts again.
- pressing the brake pedal slightly will stop the noise, releasing it will see it come back on again but not always.
- squeak usually doesn't start straight away, seems to take a little bit of time for it to come on.
- on some trips the squeak doesn't happen at all and on others it is more constant - but usually doesn't last the whole journey.

Pretty sure the brakes need a bleed - I was intending to get new s/s brake lines fitted and fluid done with a service prior to xmas so was holding off until that but then couldn't get it booked in until mid-jan. I suspect that it is a pad (probably the inside one?) not clearing the rotor properly due to air in the brake lines but just wondering if anyone else who is a bit more brake savvy has an opinion on the cause?

Cheers

02 Iceberg 172
tumbleweed.gif

Last edited:
  02 Iceberg 172
A bit of an update on this - car was serviced and new s/s brakelines and fluid fitted. Sliders checked and lubed. Pads were found to be binding a little and had a bit more ground off the backing plate to guarantee clearance. Car felt a lot better but still have this intermittent squeaking - temp of the left hand front twice as high as the right so something is obviously not right. Back in on Monday for another look - me mechanic is sure the pads have been ground enough to not bind. Thinking its something with the caliper now - any suggestions?

182 ff
has a piston siezed of it?,maybe its not retracking fully back and the pads catching,but its ok going forward when u break,making the sound stop.

02 Iceberg 172
Yeah that is what I am thinking - hopefully we can sort it on Monday. The squeaking is getting on my tits somewhat lol...

If it is a seized or sticking piston then is it a caliper refurb or easier to source a new s/h caliper?

182 ff
not sure am new to clio sports myself,i have a 182,maybe you can get a caliper repair kit(u get new seals and pistons,has your housing may be ok. u have to make sure it is 1st)if u need advice on parts call colin on 01223 370 720 west renault if u say u off here u get discounts,ave just ordered 4 new dampers £188, my local renault wanted £230.key is to find a good mechanic ,i have found 2 near me.dont let cowboys touch it.they had a clio 172 in the scrap yard near me,had everything on it.i got a few bits of it,i think is gone now though.its worth looking round scrap yards. the squeak wud drive me mad its bad enough the normal squeaks you get.

02 Iceberg 172
Just to follow up on this - took the car back to the mechanic on Monday morning. NSF brakes were checked again and they were sure the caliper was fine, so removed the DS2500's and fitted some standard pads to see if it was indeed the pads that were the issue - voila the squeak was gone and brake temps are normal on both sides. A little more fettling of the DS2500's, a test drive and temp check and all is good - finally the squeak is gone. Hallelujah! And all done at no extra charge... :)