ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Intermittent starting problems

Clio 1.2
Hi everyone.

My car intermittently starts, and it seems to be getting worse.

From what I have searched, I am looking at the TDC sensor.

But, my car doesn't turn over at all, should my car still turn over if it was a faulty TDC sensor?

I put the keys in, all of the lights come on and go off as they should, go to start the engine and nothing...

Could it be anything else? As I have tried cleaning the sensor a few times with no luck.

Cheers.

monaco 172
yeh that probelm is definatly not the tdc sensor, if it was that the engine would turn over but just not fire. I had that on my old 1.2 once and gave it a clean then tried an it was fine for another 2 years.

like the other guy said starter motor maybe.

Clio 1.2
Well, hit it with a hammer and it works again lol.

Not sure if it will stay working but we will see.

Cheers for the advice.

BMW Z4
ive just had a similar problem, got home, got out to open the garage now it wont start..........altho i have just had to drive through a huge puddle...........any ideas??

"Navy" N17 TWO
Mine does this "once in a blue moon"
Last time - I went to a mates, was in his place 5 mins - went back out to the car and NOTHING when I turned the key, not even clicking.

Made a few phone calls but I was told to look for a bad earth or check the immobiliser

Had nothing with me to check anything so I locked the car, left it a few minutes and tried again - started as normal and has been fine since.

A friend that has worked on/owned lots of Renault's said the immobiliser was out of sync - and it's a common problem.

ITB'd MK1
starter motors can mostly be revived for a fair period of time by stripping down and cleaning out the solenoid. It's normally due to heat that the grease becomes very sticky and stops free movement

Clio 1.2
Hmmmm, fair enough I will take it out and get it cleaned out.

@Tigger, how much would I be looking at for something like to be fixed?

172 cup
i've got the same problem with my cup. parked it up and now it wont start.

is there anyway to reset the alarm/immobiliser?

"Navy" N17 TWO
Mine did it again tonight - only went to pick up a kebab lol :rolleyes:

Locked it again and unlocked - fine again :S

Clio 1.2
Mine did it again tonight - only went to pick up a kebab lol :rolleyes:

Locked it again and unlocked - fine again :S

lol mine did it again today aswell, just outside the local post office :eek:

Time to get it took out, does anyone have a guide on how to get it out?

clio campus sport woo hoo
Ice got the same problem sometimes I go to start it it turns over just doesn't fire up nightmare been playing up recently I thought it could have been the injectors where is this sensor located and what tungs can I do myself to try and sort the problem out

"Navy" N17 TWO
Where is the connector on the starter motor located that people usually replace for this problem? :)

Clio 1.2
Where is the connector on the starter motor located that people usually replace for this problem? :)

Right on top of it, I managed to get it took out today, sanded down some connections and cleaned the solenoid, hopefully it should sort it but we will see. :rasp:

"Navy" N17 TWO
Thought mine was fine again until yesterday

Started the car, and went to move off it cut out, then wouldn't start at all for about 10mins :mad:

If it's not starter motor connections what else can I look for?

"Navy" N17 TWO
I got into the car again today and the feckin thing wouldn't start. It would turn over but not fire up :(

Took 3 attempts to get it going, along with pumping the accelerator which seemed to help it :S

PH1 172 Sport
I got into the car again today and the feckin thing wouldn't start. It would turn over but not fire up :(

Took 3 attempts to get it going, along with pumping the accelerator which seemed to help it :S

This sounds like the key fob battery to me. Mines been having similar issues and a new key fob battery solved it. It cant have been disabling the immobiliser properly.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Wasn't the Key - I couldn't even get the dam thing open :eek: tried the spare key - it didn't work either!

So I rocked the car, jumped in & tried it again with the "everyday" key.
A bit hard to do with a lowered car lol but it feckin worked! :)

Sticky solenoid in the starter apparently - anyone had that before?

Clio 1.2
Wasn't the Key - I couldn't even get the dam thing open :eek: tried the spare key - it didn't work either!

So I rocked the car, jumped in & tried it again with the "everyday" key.
A bit hard to do with a lowered car lol but it feckin worked! :)

Sticky solenoid in the starter apparently - anyone had that before?

Sorry mate, I had unsubscribed from the thread,

I had to take the starter off on mine and clean the solenoid as well. It seems to have worked so far. Touch wood!

"Navy" N17 TWO
Might get time to give that a clean today then while the car is in the air getting top-mounts replaced and brakes checked :)

It's behind the exhaust heat-shield though isn't it?

"Navy" N17 TWO
If this random problem is the starter/solenoid.... should jump-starting the car not work? :S

This is actually pissing me off now - usually mine went if I rocked the car lol - now nothing, no crank, clicking or strange lights on dash - silence! :mad: