ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Internet connection OK, but no internet!!!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
My mate has just setup a new broadband connection at his new house.

All setup and working ok, other than his internet connection is very intermittent. The actual connection is OK, but web browsing is off and on!

The connection is fine, either wired or wireless, but for some reason either the internet or even the connection to the router settings (192.168.1.1) will not work at all!!!

I have taken my laptop over and it connects and works 100% fine!

On my mates laptop, even when internet is not working, MSN does work!!

Tried a system restore, tried IE and Firefox, it cant be the wifi connection as wired connection is exactly the same!

Any ideas, as im goin over again tonight to continue fixing it!

Turbos.
Mine is wirless, but often my internet just stops working. I right click on whatever it is in the tray that 'repairs' it. Always works, but seems to happen more often!

I'm sure thats no help :D

Chav Rocket
something dicky with the firewall maybe?if its being selective about what it allows online (MSN yes IE no) have u tested the MSN connection eg actually chatted online just to make sure that it is online.
try do a cmd line tracert -t on a webpage and see if it bounces back.
sure you've tried this but just in case :)
Jonni

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
I've tried it with all firewalls off.

not tried a tracert-t but tried pinging a webpage when its playing up and it times out.

very bizzare!

Chav Rocket
have u tested that MSN is actually online and not just saying it is but not realised its lost its connection? try that first i reckon

Monaco Ph2 172
Try putting the ISP's DNS server IP address in the router config or even in the network config on windows.

Rav4
This is the case.......

It's a recent update by MS.

Seems to be there is a huge DNS security issue, this normally has issues with Zonealarm.

Theres an issue with Windows and Zonealarm at the moment. Thats not installed is it?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Manually enter the IP/DNS details for the relavent network adapter.

Will probably be something like,

IP 192.168.1.2
SNM 255.255.255.0
GW 192.168.1.1

DNS 192.168.1.1

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Hmmm I have restored the laptop back to March this year...Not sure if thats far enough?

He has had zonealarm on in the past, but it was uninstalled a while back!

Maybe some left offer files or reg keys could be causing it though!

172 Exclusive... For Sale
If you've disabled the firewalls and anti-virus and the page still cannot be displayed even though you are in sync then it may be an invalid ppp which can only be sorted by the ISP.

Before all this you'll have to do a series of troubleshooting, delete files and cookies etc.

If you are using a router a simple power cycle may actually solve it. Turn off PC, then turn off router. Wait 10 seconds then turn on router, wait till you get sync/dsl then turn on PC. Sounds simple but worth a punt.

There is a way of taking out the Zone Alarm update with out uninstalling the entire program. If you still need it i'll have it tomorrow when at work...

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
The thing is my laptop, iphone, his n73 all work fine on his router. My IBM laptop either via wired or wifi connection!

it seems his does work after a reboot, but 10mins later packs in! its not always exactly like that, but is usually the case!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
no not yet.

MSN does work and so does RDC from that laptop, just no internet, or even connection to the routers html settings page. So its not the internet as such, its anything via a web browser (both IE and FF)

Tried another laptop which works ok also!

No zonealarm on there, and iv restored back to march (not sure when then windows patch came out?)

Could rebuild the laptop, but pain the arse, and I havent got a lot of spare time at the mo.

Chav Rocket
hard reset the router? re-enter all the internet settings WEP and then see if still getting d/c. check for a update for the router firmware while your at it. that be my suggestion after you try cliohunts one.
J