ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Internet Problem following Sky+ Connection

Mito Sportiva 135
Hi

I've gone from having Sky broadband and phone (both worked great) to getting Sky TV installed TV. The TV works fine, but the engineer put an extra splitter on my phone line for my Sky+ box and now the wi fi connection to my PC isn't working. PLEASE HELP - as I need the internet to work from home.

A few more details:

The splitter from the phone line splits in 2, then on 1 side splits again...think 1 side goes straight into the router, the other side supplies the phone line and Sky+ box. The router connection hasn't changed, just the side that used to only feed the phone before now feeds phone and Sky+ box.

I am using a Windows 7 PC with McCafee. It detects the wi fi connection, and says it has excellent connection, yet it has an exclamation mark on the icon on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen.

I can still connect to wi fi on my phone and Xbox.

In summary, I've not changed anything as far as I can tell with my router, and as phone and Xbox seem to be working OK, seems like a PC problem (maybe Firewall setting or something?)

If anyone could suggest an avenue to resolve this problem I would be EXTREMELY gratefull!!!

Thanks for anything you can suggest guys! :D

Mito Sportiva 135
I unplugged it, does that count as a proper reboot though?

Have done a bit of reading and some suggest you don't actually need a phone line to connect Sky+, does anyone know if this is true? If not what else would it be used for?!

In hindsight, the engineer was rubbish and seemed like he just wanted to move onto the next job.

Abarth 500 Esseesse
You don't need the phone line for Sky but they can get funny about it if it's not plugged in.

If you can still access the internet on your phone and Xbox then it sounds like the engineer hasn't done anything wrong.

Windows Vista and 7 can be a bit iffy sometimes with network connectivity though. Have you tried disabling and re-enabling the wireless adapter on your PC?

So you're sure your still connecting to the internet over wifi from your phone and xbox from the same router your PC uses (not your neighbors ;) )?
If thats the case its probably nothing to do with the splitter so id stick to the absolute basics before doing anything drastic. Restart your PC if you havent already tried that. Then restart the router (turn it off, leave for a few seconds, then turn back on). Check whats happening with the connection then.

Mito Sportiva 135
Cool thanks guys, will try these ideas as soon as I'm home later and let you know how I get on!

WRX
Are you saying there's one y splitter and then another y splitter off that. Pretty sure it helps if your broadband is plugged in on the first. You also need a microfilter plugged in first in your phone line socket. Unplug your Sky+ as said above.

Clio 172
Are you saying there's one y splitter and then another y splitter off that. Pretty sure it helps if your broadband is plugged in on the first. You also need a microfilter plugged in first in your phone line socket. Unplug your Sky+ as said above.

Beat me to it.

EVERY phone socket that has something plugged into it must have a filter. A filter is basically the Y splitter, that has 2 different sized ports, one labeled modem and the other phone.

Plug the filter (what I mentioned above) into the phone point on the wall, then the other Y splitter into the "phone port" on the filter, and plug sky and your home phone into that Y splitter, modem into the filter, in the modem port.

That will do it

To summarise.

Mito Sportiva 135
I asked the engineer and he said the splitter didn't have a filter in, so might be right.

So at the moment the configuration is:

Wall point into splitter

Splitter 1. goes to modem/router and Splitter 2.

Splitter 2. goes to phone and Sky+ box

Jay_G bit confused by your post when you say "your home phone into that Y splitter, modem into the filter, in the modem port" - please could you clarify? Cheers mate.

Clio 172
Right, first of all.

The very first splitter that plugs into the wall, has both the modem and the second splitter in it yeah?

On that splitter, are both jacks (the two holes you plug the lot into) the same size, or is the modem one smaller?

As regards to Sky+ being connected via a phone line... Mine isn't in my room the engineer said you can have it but it isn't necessary we have a sky+ HD box downstairs and that isn't connected to the phone line as when we do it screws all the phones up and internet in the house so that isn't connected either. :)

Mito Sportiva 135
Right, first of all.

The very first splitter that plugs into the wall, has both the modem and the second splitter in it yeah?

On that splitter, are both jacks (the two holes you plug the lot into) the same size, or is the modem one smaller?

Not sure mate, I'll have to have a butcher's once I get home...unless I try what several have suggested and try taking the new splitter out and disconnecting the Sky+ box from the phone line, as it was setup before?

BMW F21 125d
Has the engineer installed an SSFP (Filter built into the faceplate with two ports directly into the wall) One is for your phone, the other is for your router.

Mito Sportiva 135
Badger - the plate already installed had phone, satellite, and aerial ports...don't think that's the issue, is it?

DannyR - please could you explain?

My dad's mate came over to try and help and he had no joy. It says I am connected to my network, but it won't let me access the internet. He suggested just going back to Sky, asking for a new router and taking it from there....quite annoying though still as not working.

Mito Sportiva 135
Just found out - was a McAfee issue following a software update. Have had to uninstall it, but currently not able to re-install (without paying for it again)...WTF?!??!