ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wi-Fi Repeater Router thing?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Fitted a Hive Smart Thermostat but I’ve got a problem where the hub is plugged into my router but it’s too far away from the controller to allow me to control the whole system remotely on my phone.

Is it possible to buy something that will pick up the Wi-Fi from the router but I can physically plug the Ethernet Hive hub into it to allow it an internet connection, that I can then fit halfway between the 2 thingymabobs?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Do you mean like a wifi extender/booster?

I bought a TP link from eBay. I plugged it in to my parents house (next door!) and stole their wifi for 3 years. It was perfect!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Fitted a Hive Smart Thermostat but I’ve got a problem where the hub is plugged into my router but it’s too far away from the controller to allow me to control the whole system remotely on my phone.

Is it possible to buy something that will pick up the Wi-Fi from the router but I can physically plug the Ethernet Hive hub into it to allow it an internet connection, that I can then fit halfway between the 2 thingymabobs?

Tenda mw3

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Do you mean like a wifi extender/booster?

I bought a TP link from eBay. I plugged it in to my parents house (next door!) and stole their wifi for 3 years. It was perfect!

Not quite the same as that, the Hive thing plugs into the router but it’s too far from the other hive thing it needs to talk to.

Tenda mw3

Thanks, do you have one? So can I put this in another room and it will connect to my existing Wi-Fi and send it further?

Or does it need to plug into the existing router? If so it won’t work for me..

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Not quite the same as that, the Hive thing plugs into the router but it’s too far from the other hive thing it needs to talk to.
You want some homeplugs, basically networking over the mains wires, I've had them for years and they work well.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
You want some homeplugs, basically networking over the mains wires, I've had them for years and they work well.

You need to talk slower I’m an idiot. I need a Wi-Fi receiver with an Ethernet port to plug the hive into, I think.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
This is a way to get internet between the Hive and the router without wifi, it uses your house mains wiring as a network, it's voodoo.

I'm assuming your router is not conveniently next to your Hive and you were wanting to connect via wifi, well this is another option using wires.

Something like this >>> https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5742734

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
You need to talk slower I’m an idiot. I need a Wi-Fi receiver with an Ethernet port to plug the hive into, I think.
The tp links have a wired port. So this may work.

It may be able to receive your WiFi signal and gives it (by wire) to the hive. Just have to check it works this way around… I think it’s designed to receive a wired signal and put out a wireless one. I’ll look.

Reactions: Pep

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
This is a way to get internet between the Hive and the router without wifi, it uses your house mains wiring as a network, it's voodoo.

I'm assuming your router is not conveniently next to your Hive and you were wanting to connect via wifi, well this is another option using wires.

Something like this >>> https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5742734

They seem perfect, I think?!

So yeah the Wi-Fi router is in the living room, but with the hive hub plugged in there it won’t connect to the controller in the utility. So with this thing I could plug this next to my router and connect with Ethernet cable. Then the other one plug into the utility next to the hive and connect to it with Ethernet again and it will work?!

Whats passthrough?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
I assumed that would be the case and these will work a treat, you plug one in next to the router, plug the other one in next to the Hive, network cables to each device, sync the 2 plugs so they talk to each other, bingo.

Passthrough means you can still use the socket to power something else, without passthrough the socket is taken up by the home plug.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Powerline as above is a good option, basically uses the wiring in your house as an ethernet cable, works well especially for a low bandwidth device like that. Other option is a wireless range extender in between the hub and the device, has the bonus of giving other devices in the house a better WiFi signal too and you don't have to run cables.
Assume the Hive thing has WiFi not just wired as a means of connecting?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I assumed that would be the case and these will work a treat, you plug one in next to the router, plug the other one in next to the Hive, network cables to each device, sync the 2 plugs so they talk to each other, bingo.

Passthrough means you can still use the socket to power something else, without passthrough the socket is taken up by the home plug.

You are a complete legend, I owe you a pint I think!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Powerline as above is a good option, basically uses the wiring in your house as an ethernet cable, works well especially for a low bandwidth device like that. Other option is a wireless range extender in between the hub and the device, has the bonus of giving other devices in the house a better WiFi signal too and you don't have to run cables.
Assume the Hive thing has WiFi not just wired as a means of connecting?

Clever stuff, thanks for explaining.

The hive has 3 boxes:

1. Hub, this is wired to the router and then talks to the app on my phone and also the controller wirelessly
2. Controller, this replaces the existing controller for the heating
3. Thermostat, this connects wirelessly to the controller but not via wifi

So at the minute the thermostat connects to the controller and I’ve set the programs on the thermostat so I have heating etc. But I need the hub to talk to the controller to allowthe full functionality from my phone.
I’ll probably get a range extender but that’s not the right thing to solve this.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Yup I have a Tenda mesh network and two of them are connected to the hub

Reactions: Pep

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
@Rich-D @hopgop1 The TP link arrived today, set up perfectly but the Hive still doesn‘t work so I think it’s faulty rather than the distance thing now!

Great bit of kit though, works well as I plugged my laptop into the Ethernet and it was perfect.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
@Rich-D @hopgop1 The TP link arrived today, set up perfectly but the Hive still doesn‘t work so I think it’s faulty rather than the distance thing now!

Great bit of kit though, works well as I plugged my laptop into the Ethernet and it was perfect.

So it was none of the above, can’t have 2 hive hubs on one account so I set another account up and it’s working perfectly first time 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Ah well you live and learn!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Getting a new boiler fitted next week with Hive, how are you finding it?

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
Bit of a revival but rather than start a new thread…. Our Router has to be under the stairs in our new house (all the various internet cables etc terminate there). Whole house is grand but only just get signal in the (detached) garage - generally I have to “take” the wifi out there (walk out there with a laptop on and connected and it’s fine, but fire it up out there and nowt). I suspect a signal booster like @Dr Hiccup is all I need… but any other solutions? There are additional Ethernet (?) ports in the living room (further from the garage).

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
If you've got an ethernet jack closer, just an access point (repeater with ethernet port for network in) should do. I use a TP-Link RE450, works well enough.

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
If you've got an ethernet jack closer, just an access point (repeater with ethernet port for network in) should do. I use a TP-Link RE450, works well enough.
I think the router is plugged into the closest point annoyingly!

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Ah sorry I must’ve misunderstood with the Ethernet jack in the living room. Standard repeater as above would work. One I’ve put above would do it, not used it in that configuration though.

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
Much appreciated 🙌🏻
Ah sorry I must’ve misunderstood with the Ethernet jack in the living room. Standard repeater as above would work. One I’ve put above would do it, not used it in that configuration though.