ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

IP Camera and Wireless Router help

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I have a stand alone tower PC that I use for CCTV, its not connected to the internet.

ive only ever had one camera so I just plugged it straight into the Ethernet port and everything has worked fine. just got two new IP cameras so also got a belkin play N600 DB wireless router to connect it all.

but its not working properly.

plugged the belkin play into the Ethernet port of the PC and the original ip camera into one of the empty Ethernet ports on the back of the router. the camera software picks up the camera but wont display the video and I cant work out why.

anyone help?

do I need to dick around with the settings in the router or something?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ebay special megapixel HD

just connected one of my new wifi ip cameras and it works fine. but not the hard wired one

DCi
As a guess, if you used to plug the camera direct to the PC Ethernet port you were probably using a crossover cable

Which is slightly differently wired to the a regular patch lead that you need

Or you could get a wireless adapter for your PC

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
As a guess, if you used to plug the camera direct to the PC Ethernet port you were probably using a crossover cable

Which is slightly differently wired to the a regular patch lead that you need

Or you could get a wireless adapter for your PC

Good shout - that's what I'd be checking first as well. If no joy with a standard CAT5 cable, try a different port on the router - just on the off-chance one of the pins has bent/socket damaged, etc.

Some of the CCTV playback we have here has issues with DirectDraw - basically, we have to disable it for the playback to work. That doesn't sound like the case here though.

D.

DCi
It sounds like you have more than one cable now... If you look really carefully at the connectors you might be able to see they are wired up slightly differently (ie colours in a different order)

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
worked out the issue it both cameras have completely different ip address.

one is 192.168.1.214 the other is 192.168.2.14

sadly I cant work out from the settings how to change the ip address of the wireless one grrr

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
if you don't know the ip address of a device, Is there a way to plug it into the Ethernet port of a computer and find out?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
worked out the issue it both cameras have completely different ip address.

one is 192.168.1.214 the other is 192.168.2.14

sadly I cant work out from the settings how to change the ip address of the wireless one grrr

Can you not just reset the device with a reset button/pin-hole? By default, it should reboot into DHCP anyway, which would eliminate the address issue. Unless there's another network device answering DHCP requests nearby?

D.