ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ipad rant

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Why in safari does it reload a tab when you click back on it. So infuriating. Had just written a big post and now all gone. Mother f**king c**t.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
No option seemingly to stop it doing it either. Seems totally random. Sometimes it does other times it doesn't.

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Almost as annoying as when it crashes when there's a few too many pics on a page. Grr.

That would be annoying, but it's a bit of a self-fail TBH dude. never attempt to post anything lengthy to the internet without having a backup plan. Any post submission can fail at any time.

So anyway. What's the new heap?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
That would be annoying, but it's a bit of a self-fail TBH dude. never attempt to post anything lengthy to the internet without having a backup plan. Any post submission can fail at any time.

So anyway. What's the new heap?

I have to agree with boostboy. I do a lot of detailing write ups so losing one half way through is just not worth the risk. Alwats copy and paste. I never do any decent size ones on the iPad or phone tbf. Laptop is much easier.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
It's to do with the memory.

Apple tries to keep as much memory free as possible to maintain their sleek OS.

That's why some apps randomly close too. I think they should at least warn us..

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
It must have happened halfway through this rant too, most of it seems missing. I expected many more cursing words. Less of a rant more of a whinge ;)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I went for a quick snappy rant. Thought my last three words summed it up pretty well.

yeah bit of a self fail but still partial blame lies with Apple.

​Will fire up the mbp and do my thread properly.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Couldn't you go back and use the auto save feature on the forum?

mine auto saved half way through writing this post.

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Yup, the iPad isn't blessed with a lot of memory (and I don't mean 16GB, 32GB or 64GB, that's a whole other form of "memory") and therefore it has a limited amount in which to play with whilst keeping other applications in memory. Therefore *sometimes* it will have to re-load a page, although why it doesn't 'page to disk' like computers is beyond me... I'd rather wait a few seconds for it to page fault (for the technical: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_fault) than have to reload the page from scratch!

McGherkin

Macca fan boiiiii
ClioSport Club Member
I have to have a page constantly open when using the college wifi in order to use it. Every now and then it'll drop the login page, causing the page to then reload on the website you're using at the time. So for example I could click 'Post quick reply' now, and instead of actually posting the reply it loads up the login page.

Nowt you can do about it though.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
It doesnt page to disk because it would kill the flash memory rather quickly.

nand flash cannot be randomly changed at will, it is stored as "pages" of x bytes and you can only change a bit from a one to a zero, you can't do the opposite without erasing the entire page first. It's also not particularly fast at doing this (reads are quick though).

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
While on the subject of ipad rant why the f**k does my ipad keep loosing wifi connection when I close the smart cover? takes a few seconds to load up when I lift the cover and its doing my head in as I'll click on something and it'll load the white screen telling me I have no connection.

Also it means my push updates aren't working while its closed .:banghead:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
While on the subject of ipad rant why the f**k does my ipad keep loosing wifi connection when I close the smart cover? takes a few seconds to load up when I lift the cover and its doing my head in as I'll click on something and it'll load the white screen telling me I have no connection.

Also it means my push updates aren't working while its closed .:banghead:

There's an option isn't there in settings, enable WiFi during sleep?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers I'v looked at the basic wifi settings but had no luck as it only gives me an option to turn it on or off and to ask me to join new networks.

Didn't know there was more wifi settings, I'll take another look when I get home. Strange as I never had any updates when it started doing it and it was fine before.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Actually I just checked on the wifes iPad and you can't do it. What I was remembering is that when the iPad is connected to a charger then WiFi is always active regardless of whether the device is asleep.

There appears to be no way of enabling wifi when asleep continuously (I was thinking about android where this is an option).

I believe it it will wake up wifi periodically to poll for notifications, but you (as you have noticed) won't get instant push notifications when running of battery and asleep.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My iPad is always connected to WiFi unless its physically off? As iMessage etc come through instantly.