ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Iphone 11 + Apple watch 5

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
iOS is one of the biggest reason for me sticking with Apple. My experience with Android (and this was a while ago) was just hard work. Everything about it was hard work. Accessing features, seemingly having to customize everything app by app, the interface always felt badly laid out.

But, that was a few years ago, so maybe things have moved on. Sadly, I haven’t, lol. I know I can pick up any of my iPhones / my iPad and it feel intuitive.

Weirdly, my Mum is the exact opposite, she just can’t fathom Apple and finds it completely unintuitive.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
I was due an upgrade in July, changed from an iPhone 8 to a Samsung S10. I tried to get on with Android for the full 28 day window I was allowed before I had to return it. Previously I was all about android, now its just a hassle. Things like installing an app, and 99% of them wait full access to every feature on your phone? No thanks.

Went and promptly bout an iPhone XR. It was fine and the only thing I missed was night-mode on the S10 and the always on display. Installed iOS13 beta and now everything is better on the iPhone.

Regarding apple being 'behind the curve' on the technology, the way it was explained best to me was; Other phone manufacturers may be the first to release the features, Apple are the first to perfect them.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I was due an upgrade in July, changed from an iPhone 8 to a Samsung S10. I tried to get on with Android for the full 28 day window I was allowed before I had to return it. Previously I was all about android, now its just a hassle. Things like installing an app, and 99% of them wait full access to every feature on your phone? No thanks.

Went and promptly bout an iPhone XR. It was fine and the only thing I missed was night-mode on the S10 and the always on display. Installed iOS13 beta and now everything is better on the iPhone.

Regarding apple being 'behind the curve' on the technology, the way it was explained best to me was; Other phone manufacturers may be the first to release the features, Apple are the first to perfect them.

I know lots of love Samsung but I would go as far as to say you didn’t try proper android.

I have an iPhone XS because I had enough of Google’s customer service, Apple have them beat there as you can’t go to a google store.

However for software and features I would say Google have Apple against a wall. Samsung is the drunk friend who then goes to punch Apple but instead trips up, knocks his own teeth out on the pavement and then chokes on its own vomit.

I loved my Pixel phone, the hardware wasn’t as pretty as an iPhone, it felt much more budget in your hand. But software and feature wise? Raped the iPhone IMO. Annoyingly when you look at the Pixel 3 it’s like Google took some time off around the time they designed the Pixel 2 hardware..

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
I see this thread descending into apple vs android :rolleyes:

Anyway... they’ve done a tear down of the 11 Pro Max and are saying the battery is 25% bigger than the XS Max, this excites me lots

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I don’t know how much people use their phones, I can sit on mine browsing through work, mess around with it at home, and it be enough to charge it once a day.

Granted, my older 6 with a screwed battery was different. But, the X has been good so far.

The only exception is when i’m Somewhere where it’s constantly searching for 4g, which kills it.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Safari on iOS13 is awful, I find myself having to force quit it way to too many times in the day because the rendering goes wrong.

Although they have fixed a bug bear of mine with passwords, in the previous versions you couldn’t turn off iCloud Keychain as a password manager source but you can in iOS13. Finally only shows Bitwarden!

Shortcuts is a decent feature, but quite why they haven’t added things like toggle vpn as a settings shortcut is baffling, come on Apple, maybe in iOS15 we might finally get it!

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Anyone pic theirs up today. What do you think? Hadn’t had a chance to open mine yet.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
I'm really glad I upgraded, already enjoying the bigger screen and having gone for more storage you can just store everything on the device care-free.
Z3atV6JQS3+imZcn6mszkw.jpg

Went on a stroll at lunch time and took this:
fullsizeoutput_2697.jpeg

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Safari on iOS13 is awful, I find myself having to force quit it way to too many times in the day because the rendering goes wrong.

Although they have fixed a bug bear of mine with passwords, in the previous versions you couldn’t turn off iCloud Keychain as a password manager source but you can in iOS13. Finally only shows Bitwarden!

Shortcuts is a decent feature, but quite why they haven’t added things like toggle vpn as a settings shortcut is baffling, come on Apple, maybe in iOS15 we might finally get it!

iOS 13 is buggy as hell, but 13.1 coming in a few days, watchOS 6 isn't much better, keeps telling me I've got new notifications when I haven't! Driving me a bit mad to be honest.

@goonerzak what did you go for?
Titanium is looking tasty although I love my space black stainless steel

Just the 44mm GPS Aluminium Space Grey with the sports strap. This is my first foray into smart watches so didn't want to go all out just incase. Wanted a Fitbit for jogging but apparently they're a bit s**t now so thought I'd treat myself to this, enjoying it so far! I've had iPhones for aslong as I can remember but nothing else out of the Apple ecosystem.

index.jpg

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Ahh very nice.
they’re great for running as you can sync music and run without your phone but still get a gps trace of your run

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
So in true Fitbit style, my current one has broken at 380 days old, when the warranty covers 365. I think the one this one replaced died at about 400 days.

Anyway, i’m Kinda sick of paying 75% of the price of a Fitbit every 13 months, so debating an Apple Watch now.

Does it do sleep tracking? And what fitness tracking do you get?

The sleep tracking is important for my health insurance, as is activity tracking.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
So in true Fitbit style, my current one has broken at 380 days old, when the warranty covers 365. I think the one this one replaced died at about 400 days.

Anyway, i’m Kinda sick of paying 75% of the price of a Fitbit every 13 months, so debating an Apple Watch now.

Does it do sleep tracking? And what fitness tracking do you get?

The sleep tracking is important for my health insurance, as is activity tracking.
No sleep tracking yet but I believe it’s an incoming feature.
in terms of tracking, if you go for a run, this is what you can see
CACB6796-CF59-40E4-9D95-9571097731DD.png

tapping on the map gives you a full map of route

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
No sleep tracking yet but I believe it’s an incoming feature.
in terms of tracking, if you go for a run, this is what you can see
View attachment 1434546
tapping on the map gives you a full map of route

Thank you.

From reading, I think you can use a secondary app for sleep tracking, so just need to check if there is one compatible with the health insurance.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Thank you.

From reading, I think you can use a secondary app for sleep tracking, so just need to check if there is one compatible with the health insurance.

Have a look at the SleepWatch app.
This is the sort of information it gets from your watch.

4F3FAFD1-5EF2-46B7-A04C-11704563A5E3.png

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Thank you.

Daft question deeg, but why the f**k do your health insurance care about how much you sleep?

Have you had to commit to sleeping 8 hours a day to be insured?

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Daft question deeg, but why the f**k do your health insurance care about how much you sleep?

Have you had to commit to sleeping 8 hours a day to be insured?

No, i’m covered through my monthly payment.

It’s just for a discount and a payment per quarter. It’s not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but for the sake of wearing a smart watch, it seems worth it.

There are a couple of contributing factors to getting the discount. First, being a none smoker. Secondly scoring points through certain lifestyle things. Sleep being one, activity being another. Filling out some forms daily.

The points were revamped last year where if you sleep over 7 hours a night, you get 70 points per day. You need 15,000 points per quarter in order to qualify for both the discount and payment. So sleep tracking is probably worth about 4K points to me over a quarter, which is why i’d rather have it than not.

I was using Fitbit, which is about the best tracker for the program, but i’m Sick of replacing it every 13 months.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
My insurance premium reduces the more active I am.

Activity also plays a part. There’s a matrix of stuff that gets you certain points. Activity is the biggest scoring one. 45 mins of exercise a day nets you 140 points.

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Anybody heard anything about apple TV?

I'm sure during the Keynote they said you will receive a years free apple TV with any iPhone but it completely skipped my mind when i collected my 11Pro to ask about it.

malcolmgt

ClioSport Club Member
  MK Golf GTI
Anybody heard anything about apple TV?

I'm sure during the Keynote they said you will receive a years free apple TV with any iPhone but it completely skipped my mind when i collected my 11Pro to ask about it.
Lady said something to me when collected phone but nothing came up when I started the phone?

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Apple TV+ coming 1st November.
Should be able to get a year free if you’ve purchased an iPhone, iPad or Mac since August

Quick update on the watch a week in: Don't know how I ever lived without it :LOL: Would highly recommend if anyones on the fence about it! I probably wouldn't upgrade having seen my mates series 3 but if you don't have one then go for it I'd say. It's a great quality of life bit of kit!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
iOS is one of the biggest reason for me sticking with Apple. My experience with Android (and this was a while ago) was just hard work. Everything about it was hard work. Accessing features, seemingly having to customize everything app by app, the interface always felt badly laid out.

But, that was a few years ago, so maybe things have moved on. Sadly, I haven’t, lol. I know I can pick up any of my iPhones / my iPad and it feel intuitive.

Weirdly, my Mum is the exact opposite, she just can’t fathom Apple and finds it completely unintuitive.

You're not alone mate. With me being a software dev I should love android, I think its ok but it just feels clumsy for some reason. I like many of the customisations of it, replacement of system apps and stuff (apple allow you to remove the mail app, but won't let third party apps handle Mailto: so you have to resort to cutting a pasting emails, which is very clumsy).

iOS is polished, I had issues with iPadOS before they updated it, safari was awfully buggy, but since the latest patch I haven't had to force quit it, I was force quitting it due to render issues every few minutes!

My biggest bug bear is the locking down of bluetooth, its an open standard and they should allow any bluetooth device to connect, but its limited to ones which support the accessory crypto chip,

I've got a one-plus something here for work which I use for development, I always thought the thumbprint reader on the back was stupid....

...and now I've had a chance to use it I can confirm its the dumbest f**king place to put one.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
So, I got an Apple Watch, and I like it, but it’s taking some getting used to the various interfaces with health and activity, which feel (unlike Apple) fairly unintuitive compared to Fitbit.

That, I’m sure I will get used to.

The battery life is going to be a pain mind.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
So, I got an Apple Watch, and I like it, but it’s taking some getting used to the various interfaces with health and activity, which feel (unlike Apple) fairly unintuitive compared to Fitbit.

Strap it to one of the cats and enjoy the health insurance benefits with none of that pesky exercise 😂

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Strap it to one of the cats and enjoy the health insurance benefits with none of that pesky exercise 😂

Hahahaha, one of my colleagues put his basic pedometer on his dog to get his extra steps.

Also, you have cats, you know they’re lazy as f**k. I’d get less steps with those sleep 23 hours a day mofos.

How are you finding the battery life? It's not been an issue for me at all really across both heavy and light usage but I suppose it differs based on where our standards for battery life are?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

It seems strange that I sit in an office full of developers and the majority don't understand that view. I'm exactly the same - and will be replacing my iPhone 7 with another iPhone when the time comes.

I used to have all the company mobiles pass through my mitts and it was from those days that I took a lasting dislike to Android - especially when one iteration of Android on one device had issues with software, yet a Motorola version for example, would work fine. Couple that with the fact that there is too much choice in the Android camp that the range available just becomes all a bit meaningless to me. It seems like Samsung churn out a new device every month - which I know isn't true, but it certainly feels like a disposable view of providing expensive items to the buying public.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
How are you finding the battery life? It's not been an issue for me at all really across both heavy and light usage but I suppose it differs based on where our standards for battery life are?

I’m used to a Fitbit Ionic which would last 3 days and take minimal time to charge. The watch needing charging daily will take some getting used to and planning around. There is obviously infinitely more functionality in the watch than the Fitbit.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I’m used to a Fitbit Ionic which would last 3 days and take minimal time to charge. The watch needing charging daily will take some getting used to and planning around. There is obviously infinitely more functionality in the watch than the Fitbit.
my watch normally lasts about 2 days but i tend to put it on charge when i go int he shower and stuff or when im sitting down watching TV so I very rarely have to worry about charging it because the battery is low and if i do i just chick it on overnight.

taken the same view with my phone, its a much better thing to do IMO, youre pretty much always charged enough to do what you want with any device. and with lithium batteries youre not killing them so why not