ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 12

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Went for the Pro, 256GB in Graphite

Looking forward to upgrading from my X which is 3 years old now.

Better battery, speed and camera will be great 🤞

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I printed out the size difference (give or take 11 Pro/12 Pro and 11 Pro Max/12 Pro Max are the same like for like.

I personally couldn't live with the size of the 12 Pro let alone a 12, I thought I probably could, but after printing out I realised that wasn't the case.

IMG_1147.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Over the two years would it not work out cheaper to go contract?.

Will give ee a call tomo and see what deals they can do.

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
I think whatever way you chop it up you’ll still pay 100% for the hardware. That’s the control Apple have.

Any other cost is the tariff itself and I quite like the £10 payment as opposed to the £70. It’s six of one tbh...

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Went for the Pro, 256GB in Graphite

Looking forward to upgrading from my X which is 3 years old now.

Better battery, speed and camera will be great 🤞
Ditto in all aspects apart from I went for the 128gb

I paid outright (I have a £20 monthly sim only deal) and have opted for the £240 trade In

I also have an X can can’t wait to take better quality photos

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Ditto in all aspects apart from I went for the 128gb

I paid outright (I have a £20 monthly sim only deal) and have opted for the £240 trade In

I also have an X can can’t wait to take better quality photos

SNAP!

I’m not one to upgrade every time there’s a new iPhone or to be the first to get them usually but the 12 Pro just looks like a decent bit of kit.

I’ve really rated the X, I suppose to shows how good smart phones have come that I’m content for 3 year old tech 😄

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Can’t decide what to go for to change from my cutting edge iPhone 8.

Main reason is I want a better camera, and one with night mode, as taking so many pictures of our little one it would be nice to get some better snaps. Even my wife’s 2020 SE pictures look better when using portrait mode (Which I don’t even have :( ).

I had thought about just getting a mini as it’ll be about the same as I have now, then thought maybe a regular 12, and now am talking myself up to a regular pro for some reason.

Last edited:

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
SNAP!

I’m not one to upgrade every time there’s a new iPhone or to be the first to get them usually but the 12 Pro just looks like a decent bit of kit.

I’ve really rated the X, I suppose to shows how good smart phones have come that I’m content for 3 year old tech 😄

Back when iPhones first came out I upgraded every time...

The X was the first time I didn’t, and I actually bought it through CEX and traded in my old phone, just couldn’t justify the phones getting so expensive (cost me £500 to swap through CEX for a 9 month old A grade X)

But my X is getting slow.. and as I said, looking forward to the better camera, treated myself

Abarth 595
Ah thats why I'm still on a 6s. Think I pay £7 for sim only unlimited everything haha. I lose far too many phones to pay anything half decent.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Can’t decide what to go for to change from my cutting edge iPhone 8.

Main reason is I want a better camera, and one with night mode, as taking so many pictures of our little one it would be nice to get some better snaps. Even my wife’s 2020 SE pictures look better when using portrait mode (Which I don’t even have :( ).

I had thought about just getting a mini as it’ll be about the same as I have now, then thought maybe a regular 12, and now am talking myself up to a regular pro for some reason.
A very intelligent tech guy said recently, when your kids are young, get the best camera you can afford. It's worth it and you only get one chance at it! Get the pro although the 12 will have a phenomenal camera.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
A very intelligent tech guy said recently, when your kids are young, get the best camera you can afford. It's worth it and you only get one chance at it! Get the pro although the 12 will have a phenomenal camera.

That’s my reasoning!

I do have a ‘proper’ camera but it’s not convenient at all, and to be honest with my lack of photography skills the pictures don’t come out any better.

Already talked myself into a 12 pro :)

Ocrlew

ClioSport Club Member
I’m that same as a few others I have the X first time not upgrading each year too!

I’m tempted to get the 12 pro but dunno if it be worth the extra over the 11 pro once they all flood the market as upgraded! Might be able to pick up a bargain

Ordered the Apple silicone case (finally now covers the bottom edge), usually have the leather but not available to order yet. I’ve been stung with cases before and burnt with resale value due to scratches, so now stick to the Apple cases with the microfibre lining. Will change to the leather if it also covers the bottom.

Supposedly the MagSafe is pretty strong so hopefully leads to more car mounts with built in chargers.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

I bought an 11 last year for that very reason!! Ummed and ahhed about the Pro for the telephoto lens but just couldnt justify it ... actually ended up getting Sarah an X a couple of months later for comparison. Glad i didnt pay the extra for the Pro tbh, literally never use the telephoto lens on the X, so certainly wouldnt get a 12 pro now. The wide angle and night mode are epic however!!!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I’m still torn between a 12 or 12 pro.

I think if it was the 11 I’d just go standard as similar to Dave I don’t think I’d make much use of the telephoto lens.

But with the addition of LiDAR on the pro now, does this make the camera noticeably better than the non pro on the same lenses?

From the little I’ve read it seems that it’ll improve low light focusing speeds.

The price difference isn’t huge to me so I’m not really bothered about that, if anything it’s a size thing as I do like my smaller phones so the mini would do the job nicely on that front.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member

The irony of that is kids these days will have less pictures to look back on (phone dies, computer gets replaced CD gets lost, USB stick lost etc) compared to poor quality pics of old.

I know if I said to my mum “can I have a look at pics when I was a kid?” They could go to the loft/cupboard and pull out a couple of carrier bags full of physical pics.

All the pics of my son are either downloaded on my laptop or on CD (can’t even get a laptop with a CD drive anymore can you?)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
The irony of that is kids these days will have less pictures to look back on (phone dies, computer gets replaced CD gets lost, USB stick lost etc) compared to poor quality pics of old.

I know if I said to my mum “can I have a look at pics when I was a kid?” They could go to the loft/cupboard and pull out a couple of carrier bags full of physical pics.

All the pics of my son are either downloaded on my laptop or on CD (can’t even get a laptop with a CD drive anymore can you?)

Ii disagree and I'd say you're doing it wrong.

I've got our entire family history within Google Photos. Everything we snap gets uploaded. It's all there, accessible from any device.

Admittedly the early pics were stored locally when digital cameras were the only way and before phone cameras were even a thing, but I moved them all into Google Photos about 4 PCs ago.

Anytime we want to view, grouped by person, location, date, they're all there.

I've only briefly dabbled in iPhone ownership with an SE earlier this year so I'm not familiar with how Apple do things. Is there not a Google Photos equivalent?

Last edited:

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Surely everyone’s pictures are on some form of online backup?

But it’s not physically real. It can all vanish in a split second.

I’m not that organised to keep things perfectly updated. For me it’s going to be a load of old phones you can’t get on, old CD’s, USB sticks and laptops. I found a 3 1/4” ‘floppy’ disc labelled ‘pics’ and dates the other day, really handy that.

I still prefer physical pictures but obviously it’s just me being a dinosaur with tech.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
It's not hard to get them printed off like photos of old though if that's you're thing, if anything it's easier as you just upload the pics you want them to do and then you get them in the post.

None of this sending your film off to be developed, then waiting to see which of the ones you've taken are any good from that roll.

And with the ability to have multiple copies/backups it's arguably a more resilient way to go about it now.

I've got boxes full of old photos in the garage that my father had taken over the years, not so easy to go through those and organise them, get reprints etc.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It also has a sensor almost 50% larger than the 11! That is where that low light magic is going to come alive. It's incremental but it's not the same camera system. The pro is also over a different level of processing.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
12 Pro ordered. Blue.

I’ve been a bit out of the loop and my mate told me I could have ordered on Friday.

Is it just me, or is it now total dogshit to go through a network provider?

Costs are £1700+ over two years, vs £1400+.. plus Apple are offering 0% over two years, so if you need, buy phone through Apple and stick yourself on sim only.

The delta seems huge this year?

Last edited:

EVO 4LEX

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R and a 172 Cup
12 Pro ordered. Blue.

I’ve been a bit out of the loop and my mate told me I could have ordered on Friday.

Is it just me, or is it now total dogshit to go through a network provider?

Costs are £1700+ over two years, vs £1400+.. plus Apple are offering 0% over two years, so if you need, buy phone through Apple and stick yourself on sim only.

The delta seems huge this year?

That’s exactly what I’ve just done, 2 years 0% on a 12 pro and then 100gb 5g sim only deal for £20 a month..

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
That’s exactly what I’ve just done, 2 years 0% on a 12 pro and then 100gb 5g sim only deal for £20 a month..
Definitely the right choice, I just bought the phone because I couldn’t be arsed with a Barclays finance agreement.

I feel like all mobile stuff is all over the place though, the Vodafone sim only deals seem silly expensive, and I actually seem to be able to get a better contract through shithouses like car phone warehouse

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
How true it is I don't know.

When I've used examples from the likes of mobiles.co.uk to get a better deal they bang on about the speed isn't the same as what we (ee in this case) provide. As they rent the lines off the providers?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
How true it is I don't know.

When I've used examples from the likes of mobiles.co.uk to get a better deal they bang on about the speed isn't the same as what we (ee in this case) provide. As they rent the lines off the providers?
I can’t see that being true. If I buy my deal from CPW I can still ring voda direct, or even walk into a voda store. I don’t think they’d even know the contract wasn’t with them direct?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure. If its anything like providers who buy the phone lines off bt and then suddenly you get crap service, maybe.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Not sure. If its anything like providers who buy the phone lines off bt and then suddenly you get crap service, maybe.

I wondered this too. But I have a contract direct with EE and it’s not amazing. We’re all so keen to save £5 a month on what’s actually a very cheap service (in the UK). I’d happily pay double to get a priority service that actually works when it says it has service (I can’t be the only one that gets a loading bar sometimes when it says 2 bars of 4G)