ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Iphone 3g restore fault

Im not Apple wise at all, ive replaced a 3g digitizer 2 times already for a friend but now the phones a few months away from upgrade.. but the phone was updated 2 days ago and has thrown up the connect to i tunes fault, the phone was working fine before with some up and down signal, but now stuck on the usb pointing up towards the i tunes logo screen...

I restored the phone and synced it successfully and working fine for about 10 mins then the phone rebooted and the apple logo was up and the phone was f**ked again

Ive tried to restore the phone 3 times, twice in DFU mode... the 3rd was following advice from a apple customer service member who i appreciated time from but that turned up an error like 1013, told me to switch the firewall off and try again, i did this and still the error threw up... were now looking to get a new 3g handset but id like to know how to fix this problem?

Looking to get a new phone for the remaining months left until upgrade, but id like to get the phone working to sell on ebay...

Information appreciated.

Im turning back to cliosport as i need help, many heads are better than my tired one tonight... and i know there are a few apple techs on here.

Ive tried restoring the phone 3 times on the friends computer, and once on mine, no luck

I have error 1013 coming up.... im fed up of googling, i tried a program that needed new microsoft framework, i installed that and my keyboard and mouse didnt work, not internet, so ive just spent 45 mins panicking, researching on another computer and restoring my computer, which is now working again, im not sure if it was the framework or one of the many programs for iphone ive tried...

Ive tried ZiPhone, which i dont think supports 3g? couldnt find the phone

RecBoot which wanted the 4.0 frame work which i think got me into my own computer problems

in summary: I have a 3g iphone, its stuck in recovery mode, ive tired most things that google throws up, my repair bloke can do it but the girlfriend wants it for iceland holiday we are going on monday, this wont be the end of the world but for general sakes id like to get that sodding usb pointing up the arse of the apple logo off the iphone screen!!

I had a very similar problem last year some time and was pulling my hair out trying to get it sorted. I eventually did it.

Change the USB port the iPhone is plugged into on your computer, restart computer and plug in iPhone (make sure it wasn't already) and put it in DFU mode whilst connected. Be patient, and hit restore.

Ok mate i will try that, ive already done DFU twice on the other computer, then i read that wasnt the best thing to start with, the phone was working for 5 mins... then rebooted back to recovery...

I will try using the main board usb rather than the front computer USB... i never realised this would be such a pain in the arse, but its just my lack of knowledge with apple stuff.

Had errors 1013, 1014 and i think 1016 throw up, the last one im not sure i rebooted to quick to remember, giving up now...

Latest program i tried was tinyunbrella, but i didnt know how to use it, again not detecting the phone i think.

Any light shed appreciated.

hm, I'd avoid using the firmware update apps to be honest. Did anything happen when you followed my steps?

I'd download the latest firmware for your 3G from here, follow the steps I posted earlier and press shift when pressing update/restore in iTunes to select the firmware you've just downloaded. Should work.

Make sure you've got the most recent version of iTunes too.

Clio Sport 172
Oh the good old error 1013....... Well done apple for once again throwing updates out there without properly testing them!!!!I updated my iPhone 4 to the new 4.2.1 firmware the other day now that the jailbreak has finally been released...... Ended up getting error 1013 when trying to restore (apple support are useless) spent a good few hours trying to sort it out.

It's nothing to do with your firewall at all, or USB ports, chances are it's a problem with the latest version of iTunes!

Simple fix guys........
  1. Open Notepad
  2. File > Open > Browse to “Windows/System32/drivers/etc”
  3. Select all documents types
  4. Open “hosts”
  5. Delete all lines with “gs.apple.com” and then save
If you have tinyumbrella hosts file and lmhosts file open them and do the same.

then try and restore the phone again

hm, I'd avoid using the firmware update apps to be honest. Did anything happen when you followed my steps?

I'd download the latest firmware for your 3G from here, follow the steps I posted earlier and press shift when pressing update/restore in iTunes to select the firmware you've just downloaded. Should work.

Make sure you've got the most recent version of iTunes too.

On that list of firmware... after the 3g.. the letters.. forgive my noobness are the numbers model numbers that need to be correct to the phone? or is the higher number just the latest firmware? i.e. 4.2?

Oh the good old error 1013....... Well done apple for once again throwing updates out there without properly testing them!!!!I updated my iPhone 4 to the new 4.2.1 firmware the other day now that the jailbreak has finally been released...... Ended up getting error 1013 when trying to restore (apple support are useless) spent a good few hours trying to sort it out.

It's nothing to do with your firewall at all, or USB ports, chances are it's a problem with the latest version of iTunes!

Simple fix guys........
  1. Open Notepad
  2. File > Open > Browse to “Windows/System32/drivers/etc”
  3. Select all documents types
  4. Open “hosts”
  5. Delete all lines with “gs.apple.com” and then save
If you have tinyumbrella hosts file and lmhosts file open them and do the same.

then try and restore the phone again

Ive read this before mate, but i think this is whats wrong and im just trying to do it correctly but i think im missing something out.. i deleted gs from Hosts and Umbrella

Then tried to restore... no luck, just rebooted my computer and trying again...

There wasnt any gs.apple.com in lmhosts? if there isnt any text like that its fine yeah?

Im just trying a reboot again then i will do selective firmware boot but im not sure which firmware is the newest or which model the phone is! ill turn to google

Cheers for the help so far.. appreciated.

Megane 225 F1
I had issues with my 3g. Took it into apple and said the software was forced on my phone and I have tried everything to restore it but nothing works. So they gave me a new one.

On that list of firmware... after the 3g.. the letters.. forgive my noobness are the numbers model numbers that need to be correct to the phone? or is the higher number just the latest firmware? i.e. 4.2?

The numbers are just the latest firmware versions, you want the last 3G one in the list (iPhone 3G 4.2.1/8C148) - you could always try one of the earlier ones too and just update it though, when (and if) you get it sorted.

Tried the latest firmware, deleted the gs.apple.com, restarted computer, tried normal restore, then selective firmware restore... still 1013 error... ive tried so many things never thought it would be this difficult...

Im thinking of booking a genius appointment for later today, even though the phones out of warranty, if i be polite and sound like ive tried anything will they get the phone working orrr give us a new one?

Thanks

Clio Sport 172
At what point does it come up with error 1013? I mean, just before the error what does it say in the bar at the top of iTunes? Yeh there should be no gs.hosts in any of the three host files. if you have already done this then I'm not sure what to suggest...... Are you running the latest version of iTunes?

Lates itunes, latest firmware... it comes up after the restore

Went to a genius appointment today the guy took the phone and tried to restore it, told me it wont restore same error as i had, he said there's no way "he" can get it to work, it was 140 days out of warranty, i asked him if there was any way he could help me out but he said no the best thing is a refurbished unit at £139 or something, a fair price but i wouldn't have thought a iphone would just konk.. it probably can be fixed but at what cost and what length of sorting im not sure.

He said there could have been water damage, or it could have been jail broken... none of these have ever happened, so i guess its just fooked! were off on holiday for a week on monday so she has to go without her iphone...