ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Iphone 4 contracts

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
I'm just evaluating my options here, for the 3GS I went PAYG with £20/month simplicity as that worked out cheaper for me in the long run, I have been doing some calculations now for the iphone 4 and I just want people to have a look at them and see if i've gone wrong with them somewhere:

Contract

On a £40/month contract (you can upgrade after 16 months, with vodafone anyway hence why I've only done 16 months not 18)

£40/month x 16 = £640
£119 for the iphone
=£759

Sell my old iphone 3GS for £250ish
=£509
June 2011 the new iphone comes out, rather than waiting for the contract to finish, I'd buy the phone outright.

cost of new iphone = £500 (estimate)
=£1009

Money gained from selling old iphone 4 = £250 (estimate)
=£809

New iphone contract upgrade at the end of 16 months = £119 to buy the phone (estimate, may be less, my girlfriend just got £60 off the cost for already being a vodafone customer)
=£928

Sell 2nd hand iphone that I bought in June for £400 (estimate)

=£528 over 16 months.

Is all that right? have I missed anything out at all or c**ked it up?

Simplicity

Compare this to the simplicity calculations if i continued as I am:

Sell old iphone 3GS for £250ish

Buy new one for £500

£250 so spent so far.

£20 x 12 = £240
=£490

Cost of new iphone in June 2011 = £500
£990

Sell old iphone for £250 (estimate)

=£740 over 12 months

Are the above calculations correct in peoples eyes on here therefore showing that I would actually be much better off with a contract? Take into account things like costs of future iphone and costs of upgrades are purely estimations based on previous years, they're not going to be far wrong unless the next one is made of plutonium or something.

Last edited:
  Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Come onnn, some kind soul out there must be able to look the figures over and see if they make sense.

I don't wanna go and get 1 on contract thinking woo i'm saving so much money only to find out later that its actually costing me an arm and a leg more and i've worked it out wrong.

You can upgrade after 16, but those two months will go onto your new agreement. So if you upgraded to an 18 month, you would actually have 20 months in total.

They don't just dissapear.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Ok so add another £80 on, it's still cheaper on contract.

Tesco mobile = O2 doesn't it? I'm not overly impressed with O2's signal coverage, I went to Cornwall and lake district and it was s**t, my gf on vodafone had decent signal everywhere.

What are tescos deals like?

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Tesco mobile isn't the cheapest at all tbh.

For 12 months on Tesco mobile your paying £35/month + £229 for the phone
=£649 for 12 months usage.
£54.08/month

For 18 months on vodafone your paying £40/month + 119 for the phone
=£839 for 18 months usage.
=£46.61/month

Also, the point of this thread wasn't which provider is better it was, are my calculations correct or have I majorly missed out on something that will alter the fact that a contract works out cheaper for me.

Apart from the extra 2 months ben pointed out (cheers ben) is there anything else? that still works out cheaper if so.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
We have found (doing tests at work when bored) that in the same area tesco's got a much slower 3G speed than both o2 and orange. All on 3gs iphones.

Maybe they throttle the connection to save money? Puts me off though, since tesco was around a 3rd of the speed of the other 2 networks.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Just to reiterate my point, all I want is for someone to just look at my figures and tell me if i've factored everything in and that they are correct. I'll look into which provider offers the best deal later, for now all i'm interested in is if i've worked it out correctly!

Cheers

Get two contracts and have one ending July 2011, another ending July 2012? That'll be cheaper!