ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Iphone 4S Screen replacement, Am I going to break it lol?

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
I've currently got an Iphone 4 16GB and the memory's not enough for my Tunes, but my Stepdad is about to up-grade to the iphone 5 as his contract renewal is due so there's a good chance I could have his Iphone 4s but the screen is cracked, all still works but its like looking through a swimming pool :dapprove:

I've had a browse on ebay and there seems to be a few decent sellers looking at the feedback & I've come across a white conversion kit (always had black so fancy a change!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-iPh...arts_Tools&hash=item2ebfdb0d45#ht_1566wt_1397

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iPhone-3G...arts_Tools&hash=item2ebd5cfd91#ht_1041wt_1397

The first question is how likely Is it that I'm going to break something trying to change it over?

Secondly is the resolution/ screen response as good or near as to the OEM?

Thanks,
James

182 Trophy #333
If you've got the right drivers to get the thing open you should be fine, there will most likely be a video on YouTube to walk you through it, done s fair few phones this way, they're mostly quite easy!

BG 182
I've replaced about 5 screens now on 4/4s. They aren't hard, you just need to be methodical about it. I go a bit ott but lay out some masking tape, sticky side up and when you remove a part/screws you can lay them out in the position they came out, a fair few of the screws are different length. Don't force anything either and when putting the ribbon through the hole make sure it's all the way through, it's easy to trap.

PH2 Flamer
Easy, video on YouTube to show you how.

Can be time consuming ad some screws are a pain. As they have little washer. (Ones holding screen in)

Bus w**ker
I did mine on my 4. Quite possibly the most nerve racking two hours of my life.

Enjoy

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Its not a fun job. Its like perfection, but instead of the timer running out you kill your phone.

Bus w**ker
Can't lie, I was shocked that mine even turned back on let alone that everything works how it was meant to. What's the point in a 1mm long screw though? What can that actually hope to hold in place?

Ph1 T
I was thinking of doing it myself but know a few places that do it for £50 so for extra £ 10-15 may aswell let them do it as they do it all the time

Bus w**ker
Its much easier on the 5.

Bonus.

Ha, I've just looked at the teardown. Five screws FFS, so simple.

Also the screens that are like £7 on eBay anyone used one?

Personally no, I bought genuine for ~£70. But my mate had a snide put one, paid £40 all in for the repair, and he said he couldn't notice any difference.

BG 182
I use the eBay Chinese special sand they are fine, beer had a problem with them.

For £7 it will only be the glass, the digitizer is glued to the glass. Not worth the effort trying to remove it. Just pay the £20 for the ones with digitizer already attached