ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Iphone and youtube. total fail imo.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Ok, I thought the fact my iphone would always struggle to stream youtube videos was due to my ISP. I was with BT and my speeds around 1.8 - 2.4 MB or whatever it is.

Due ot sky being a fair bit cheaper I have now moved my phone and internet to sky.

I get a solid 2.5mb with sky on current speed tests but i still have the issue with YT refusing to stream videos. I will get say 40 seconds loaded but then it literally refuses to do anymore.

Sometimes it will slowly stream a video but nothing like you can just sit there and view it. However, my laptop will happily load up YT videos all ay long and allow me to watch as it streams.

Now for me, it must be an iphone/app issue with YT.

Interestingly I never had this problem on my old 3g that i had on my old previous connection (that being BT too).

Again interestingly, to throw a spanner in the works, my parents BT connection of 8mb streams vids fine on my iphone... So is it something to do with my connection? must be something further down the line since i have just changed my ISP.

Anyone else have this issue?

Bus w**ker
YouTube is hit and miss for me. Like tonight, I cannot for the life of me stream ANYTHING on there on my PC (20mb cable) but on my iPhone which is connected through wifi to the same cable connection is streaming them fine. Other days it will stutter like f**k on my 4 and play fine on my PC and then rest of the time its f**ked on both or fine. I've given up trying to diagnose it.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i'm on the most current firmware. I had a complete wipe a few mths ago courtesy of the apple store due to a bug in my phone and still the issue remains. I jsut thought it was ISP related.

the missus has the same issue with her iphone.

but then 3g connection has no problem, but then i guess because it is a lot lower quality.

i mean i am totally stumped by it all.

Golf GTD
Interestingly my girlfriends iPhone 4 struggles to load videos on our WiFi that mine (3GS) will play effortlessly. Is it something to do with the better resolution on the 4, requiring more bandwidth?

(I too am on a shitty 2MB connection)

I give up with YT on Apple devices now, I know it's not my 3G or wifi as other websites stream perfectly on them.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I was thinking of getting an iPhone next, but my connection is 1mb lol so im goosed

Dan.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I never use the YT app as the quality is crap when not using wifi, the web app is much better.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
The only thing i could recommend is to see if you have the latest firmware installed on your phone?

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Ok, I thought the fact my iphone would always struggle to stream youtube videos was due to my ISP. I was with BT and my speeds around 1.8 - 2.4 MB or whatever it is.

Due ot sky being a fair bit cheaper I have now moved my phone and internet to sky.

I get a solid 2.5mb with sky on current speed tests but i still have the issue with YT refusing to stream videos. I will get say 40 seconds loaded but then it literally refuses to do anymore.

Sometimes it will slowly stream a video but nothing like you can just sit there and view it. However, my laptop will happily load up YT videos all ay long and allow me to watch as it streams.

Now for me, it must be an iphone/app issue with YT.

Interestingly I never had this problem on my old 3g that i had on my old previous connection (that being BT too).

Again interestingly, to throw a spanner in the works, my parents BT connection of 8mb streams vids fine on my iphone... So is it something to do with my connection? must be something further down the line since i have just changed my ISP.

Anyone else have this issue?

I have exactly the same problem. It will play around 1/4 of the youtube vid then stop and take forever to play the rest.

A seperate issue i have had from i first got my iphone last year is that my WIFI is utterly useless. I still have my old iphone and an original ipod touch and all those can pickup wifi anywhere in the house whereas the iphone 4 has to be about 5 metres beside the router.

I would say it's 99% router firmware. I updated mine today and it's fixed any wifi issues i had with my phone. Doesn't drop out/stop loading anything now.

BMW F31
Either way, it's not going to help!

That's what caused my issue's with using the youtube app in the first place at a friends house, at mine it was fine with a decent download speed.