ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Iphone SE 2

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
But who was jailbreak? Granted this can't be jailbroken (yet) but it opens up a world of different features.
No one is jailbreaking iPhones anymore. I don't even think you can, can you?

Again it's just not something I could live with. I currently have 500gb of memory and 12gb of ram in my pocket. In fairness my usage is massively different now and I use my spen a lot so not your average consumer.

Even watch videos of guys who run 2 phones for reviews and see their frustrations at Apple sometimes. The eco system is simply brilliant and most people love that.

Clio 197
No one is jailbreaking iPhones anymore. I don't even think you can, can you?

Again it's just not something I could live with. I currently have 500gb of memory and 12gb of ram in my pocket. In fairness my usage is massively different now and I use my spen a lot so not your average consumer.

Even watch videos of guys who run 2 phones for reviews and see their frustrations at Apple sometimes. The eco system is simply brilliant and most people love that.
You most certainly can, have a look at the checkra1n jailbreak, devices upto the 8, 8+ and X can be jailbroken.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I loved the new green on the 11 pro, Almost made me buy one I didn't need!

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
My SE2 was delivered the other day. Coming from a 7 it’s effectively the same phone albeit with a better processor, camera and wireless charging. Plus a new battery as mine was a launch day 7 so 3 and half years old now.

The full screen of the 11 series phones is nice, but not a fan of the price for what I use it for. It was a no brainer.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I’m due a new work phone soon, so will swap my current SE for the new SE.

I really don’t know what 99.99% of people are doing with Android that you can’t do with Apple? And vice versa.

All of that said, I experienced my first issue with Apple this weekend. I periodically wipe and restart my phone as a new phone. Maybe every 12-18 months, to keep some of the crap that accrues down.

Anyway, for whatever reason, I lost about a weeks worth of texts from iCloud. No idea how or why. Never happened before. They show up on another phone I keep for international use, so they’re there, they just won’t pull down onto this device. Very confusing. Pictures, everything else is there, just some texts missing. All very odd.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Less than a day with the new SE so far, and I've realised it's not Android I'm attached to, but Google.

I've still a sh*t ton of setup to do with all the apps I've downloaded, and a load more inbuilt ones to get rid of or offload, but so far all is good.

I'm sure I'll miss a few of the integrated Google niceties I used to have on the Pixel, but all of the Google apps I've downloaded so far seem to work together just as they did on Android. I'm not quite sure what I was expecting but it's a relief!

I'll see how I feel in a week, but for now, it's a good move...if only for the form factor. F*** me, it's a beautifully engineered thing.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Got CarPlay enabled yet?

If you've not already sorted it, get a file from eBay that includes full screen CarPlay (note it also disabled split screen across iDrive, if that's important to you)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Less than a day with the new SE so far, and I've realised it's not Android I'm attached to, but Google.

I've still a sh*t ton of setup to do with all the apps I've downloaded, and a load more inbuilt ones to get rid of or offload, but so far all is good.

I'm sure I'll miss a few of the integrated Google niceties I used to have on the Pixel, but all of the Google apps I've downloaded so far seem to work together just as they did on Android. I'm not quite sure what I was expecting but it's a relief!

I'll see how I feel in a week, but for now, it's a good move...if only for the form factor. F*** me, it's a beautifully engineered thing.

As an update on this, after less than a week, it was boxed up and then returned for a full refund.

Why?

1. It turns out that my Pixel 2 XL charging port hadn't bust again; seeing someone else's fluff they'd picked out of their USB-C port prompted me to do the same and, hey presto, it worked fine again, a nice positive click, strong retention.

2. Screen size. Nope. Maybe if I didn't occasionally have to resort to reading glasses I'd have gotten along with it...but it really is a major drop down sizewise and just too much of a compromise for me.

3. Notifications. WTF? No amount of playing about could get this aspect of the phone to make any sense to me...like there being 3 ways to open an app from a notification. Why?!

4. Apple's lack of integration of rival apps. Yeah I could get all my Google things running along in harmony, but adjust text size on them to tweak it up and compensate for the smaller screen? Not happening.

5. I really missed the squeeze of the phone's sides to initiate my Google Assistant. Like loads. I never realised how much I used that until I was without it. By comparison, and even with voice summoning, Siri and its abilities just doesn't cut it.

So, the A13 Bionic can do one. I'm now back with my trusty Pixel 2XL and loving it.

I'm glad I tried, but Apple carplay in my bimmer will have to wait....

Last edited:

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I think if you’ve integrated yourself into an ecosystem over a number of years it’s difficult to switch over. I tried Android a few years ago but as I still had an iPad and a MacBook I just felt adrift from everything. Nothing linked up anymore.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
As an update on this, after less than a week, it was boxed up and then returned for a full refund.

Why?

1. It turns out that my Pixel 2 XL charging port hadn't bust again; seeing someone else's fluff they'd picked out of their USB-C port prompted me to do the same and, hey presto, it worked fine again, a nice positive click, strong retention.

2. Screen size. Nope. Maybe if I didn't occasionally have to resort to reading glasses I'd have gotten along with it...but it really is a major drop down sizewise and just too much of a compromise for me.

3. Notifications. WTF? No amount of playing about could get this aspect of the phone to make any sense to me...like there being 3 ways to open an app from a notification. Why?!

4. Apple's lack of integration of rival apps. Yeah I could get all my Google things running along in harmony, but adjust text size on them to tweak it up and compensate for the smaller screen? Not happening.

5. I really missed the squeeze of the phone's sides to initiate my Google Assistant. Like loads. I never realised how much I used that until I was without it. By comparison, and even with voice summoning, Siri and its abilities just doesn't cut it.

So, the A13 Bionic can do one. I'm now back with my trusty Pixel 2XL and loving it.

I'm glad I tried, but Apple carplay in my bimmer will have to wait....

What Google things are you using that didn't work sir?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Sounds like an adjustment period. I really wasn't sure about Android, did take a few days etc.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
What Google things are you using that didn't work sir?

They all worked! They just weren't as accessible or integrated as a I touched upon. Really, I could or should have stopped the list above at point 1.

Sounds like an adjustment period. I really wasn't sure about Android, did take a few days etc.

I completely agree but the accountant in me was also a big factor; my Pixel 2 XL wasn't bust so it didn't need fixing.

The 6 days I lived within iOS wasn't enough for me to bond with it...and as a Google and Android diehard, I'm genuinely not sure even six weeks would have been enough.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
They all worked! They just weren't as accessible or integrated as a I touched upon. Really, I could or should have stopped the list above at point 1.

I completely agree but the accountant in me was also a big factor; my Pixel 2 XL wasn't bust so it didn't need fixing.

The 6 days I lived within iOS wasn't enough for me to bond with it...and as a Google and Android diehard, I'm genuinely not sure even six weeks would have been enough.

Yep very good point.

Main reason that flicked me from Android over to iOS last time was being disgruntled with Google's support, but I believe that was very much an isolated incident that isn't the norm. But still made me want to shun their hardware for a bit.

If I'm not mistaken, you can get screen mirroring enabled for Androids on BMWs, never tried it and I doubt the touch screen would work, but maybe that's worth looking into in lieu of CarPlay?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Yep very good point.

Main reason that flicked me from Android over to iOS last time was being disgruntled with Google's support, but I believe that was very much an isolated incident that isn't the norm. But still made me want to shun their hardware for a bit.

If I'm not mistaken, you can get screen mirroring enabled for Androids on BMWs, never tried it and I doubt the touch screen would work, but maybe that's worth looking into in lieu of CarPlay?

You know me. My need for a solid satnav is very limited...I just want it more for music...and the inbuilt Spotify app on iDrive works from my Android handset very well indeed.

I think that's enough for me.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yeah I actually considered changing to Spotify to be able to use it on the car without a phone. But I'm a sucker for Google's music app.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
You know me. My need for a solid satnav is very limited...I just want it more for music...and the inbuilt Spotify app on iDrive works from my Android handset very well indeed.

I think that's enough for me.
Yeah I actually considered changing to Spotify to be able to use it on the car without a phone. But I'm a sucker for Google's music app.

Irony being I actually very rarely listen to music in the car. Waze is definitely a lifesaver on occasion though.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I was Google Play all the way...but Megan needed Spotify, had a student trial, then we worked out full membership for yo fam was just a few £s more. Now we're all hooked. Love it.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I was Google Play all the way...but Megan needed Spotify, had a student trial, then we worked out full membership for yo fam was just a few £s more. Now we're all hooked. Love it.

I have tried it. I've been a long term subscriber on each of the main ones actually (Apple/Google/Amazon/Spotify).

Apple seems to have the best music selection, rarely is there a song I can think of that doesn't exist on Apple music, the app integration with Carplay is obviously nice but the biggest let down is the "genius playlists" which are anything but genius.

Spotify is ok for most genres but for metal and rap the playlists are the best on Google.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Anyway, back OT, iPhone SE. Thoughts?

A superb handset with a tiny screen.
As I said above, for what I use a phone for, there's no need for me to get an 11 Pro as they're £1000 compared to £400. A bigger screen would be nice but the 11R is TOO big for me, so the SE 2020 was my only option really.

It really is a cracking phone for the price, especially for me being in the ecosystem. With my use I'm getting a day and half to 2 days worth of battery life, compared to my half/three quarters of a day with my 7. I know I could have replaced the battery in the 7 for cheaper, but the better processor in the SE 2020 and future proof-ability of it made me switch.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
As I said above, for what I use a phone for, there's no need for me to get an 11 Pro as they're £1000 compared to £400. A bigger screen would be nice but the 11R is TOO big for me, so the SE 2020 was my only option really.

It really is a cracking phone for the price, especially for me being in the ecosystem. With my use I'm getting a day and half to 2 days worth of battery life, compared to my half/three quarters of a day with my 7. I know I could have replaced the battery in the 7 for cheaper, but the better processor in the SE 2020 and future proof-ability of it made me switch.

Agreed 100%. It's a great phone, very good value...if they release a Max SE and my Pixel died I'd have another go at iOS. Such good value for such a little powerhouse of a phone.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Does it work out roughly the same buying the phone out right then sim

Last time I checked, we're back to the days where it's cheaper to pay monthly for the phone. However I completely get the want to buy a phone outright just so you don't have a huge monthly that makes you sick when the phone's a year old.

I didn't realise Apple have so many different iPhones out now!!!

Also the SE screen at 4.7" is tiny. The small fullscreen phone which seems to me now is the 11 Pro which has 5.7". The normal 11 is slightly bigger at 6.1". 11 Pro would be my choice, even though it's expensive phones these days last longer than they used to. You just refresh the battery in year 3 of ownership and it should last another 3 in theory.

With that said, I admit you could do the same thing with a phone of half the price and be even more economical..

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I got to see one in the flesh the other day, just so small. I feel like i'd need binoculars.

I see what Mark is saying, also definitely keep an eye on the 4a coming out mark, it will almost be a "5" because the normal 4 was so average they need sales, and fast.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I got to see one in the flesh the other day, just so small. I feel like i'd need binoculars.

I see what Mark is saying, also definitely keep an eye on the 4a coming out mark, it will almost be a "5" because the normal 4 was so average they need sales, and fast.

I've been following the leaks, does look like it could be a solid iPhone SE beater. £350 with 128GB for a start.

But, unless my Pixel 2 dies, I'm not changing. Honestly, I need nothing more from a phone than this thing consistently gives me. The fact that it's a refurbed replacement unit direct from Google (just within the two year warranty period) with as good as a brand new battery means I'll be with it for a good while yet.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Have they upped the size of the SE to match the normal sized phones now? Or is it still smaller than an Xs?

If it’s smaller, then I’ll likely not bother switching my work phone. The current SE I have is the size of the old 4/5, and I’m finding it hard work these days. Especially if you need to email or do anything more than reply a line or 2 on text.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Still very tempted by one of these.
If I was to get the XR or similar it would be on contract.
I think to get the SE I would buy out right so if six months down the line I decide to sell it should do easily. We all know they hold their price. Contract price would be £40 ISH on the XR and say £15 on the SE. I had my 7 for just over two years and took me a little time to decide to upgrade. Can you get attached to a phone lol. Does seem a bit odd!!.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I got mine this week.

Upgraded my 4 year old 6S. I didn’t want to walk about with a £800-£1000 phone in my pocket so the £400 odd quid for the SE is alright.

Plus i didn’t want a bigger phone. Used to the 6S size so the SE is basically perfect for me.

no nonsense iphone that is more powerful than an XR but a lot less money.

no brainer for me tbh

plus i just Buy the phone and have a £10 mth sim with giffgaff. Seems to be relatively cost effective way of doing it