ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ipod Ice Link!!

I been thinking for ages that there must be a decent way to link an Ipod up to a stereo then when I saw that Smart were selling a Smart coupe with Ipod all linked in I knew it must exist!

http://www.dension.comwww.dension.com manufacturers

http://www.ihavetohave.itwww.ihavetohave.it UK sellers.

Looks like a top notch bit of kit, ipod slots into it then head unit can control it! Links for most car manufacturers and after market head units e.g. SOny, Alpine, Kenwood etc etc but NOT Pioneer, spoke to them tonight and apparently there was a lack of demand for Pioneer :(

The kit is only £80 which I think is a bargain!

Coming out in about three months is a video browser, this will be a link from an ipod to an aux in on a screen, that will then learn commands from your screen remote and then have a browser window on your screen. Will allow you to browse the ipod from the screens remote control and hopefully display album artwork etc on the screen!!!! that gonnna be more expensive around the £250 mark but it will work with ALL screens including Pioneer!!

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I hadnt seen it and thought it was a great item so hope it helps someone!!!

Shhh

Also why i was in america, they were selling a item that would fit into the iPod that transmitted on something like 87.1 Mhz which you could tune your radio too. This then enabled you to play your iPod / Mini Disc / Walkman etc through this as it plugged into the headphone socket.

Easy..and was only $30 over their with a car charger thrown in...

Bargain..

Quote: Originally posted by AliasOmega on 30 June 2004

Also why i was in america, they were selling a item that would fit into the iPod that transmitted on something like 87.1 Mhz which you could tune your radio too. This then enabled you to play your iPod / Mini Disc / Walkman etc through this as it plugged into the headphone socket.

Easy..and was only $30 over their with a car charger thrown in...

Bargain..
FM modulator, you can buy them on ebay for 25 sheets.

sound quality aint too bad, remember you are playing the music in compressed format (mp3 or aac).

There is also a bit of a sweet spot with the volume and tuning so you have to do a bit of fiddling. Scares people a bit if you tune it to a radio station, radio 1 for example, and play your stuff on that frequency!

If you go for a FM modulator go for the wired versions rather than the wireless ones as its slightly better quality.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

I was planning to get the following for my Kenwood - Aux-in cable (£28.99) and a gold plated 2 x phono - 3.5mm stereo jack cable (£8.49), would this setup not do the same job as the ICE link?

no not really, all that would do is carry the sound from the ipod to the stereo and out through the speakers. the ice link lets you change tracks and folders etc etc from the head unit, so if you wished you could put the ipod in the glove box. means that if you have the steering wheel controls you can change tracks on the ipod from there which i think would be sweet!

just p*ssed they dont do it for pioneer head units!

plus you can get a nice little docking holder for it on the ice link.

Does anyone have any more info on this?

I have emailed them to find out if they can interface with the standard 172 headunit via the multichanger cables, but havent heard anything yet. I have an itrip, but they suck. It takes ages to get a decent frequency so it sounds OK and then 5 minutes later it will pick up a frequency that interferes with it.

Works quite well on a stationary radio mind (like at home) but who wants to stay still in a clio 172? LOL.

oops sorry you already found it!!!

This version of Dension ice>Link:iPod is compatible with the Philips RC594/DC459/DC461 and VDO 22DC279/22DC259 head units used in the Clio, Megane, Scenic and Laguna

Thats the gumph from the website so if someone can confirm whether one of those is the head unit used in your car then you are sorted.

May be worth considering whether you are likely to change to an aftermarket head unit anytime soon,

Apart from that looks like it would solve all your problems.

finally got some information. The good news? Those with the Tuner list stereos can get the denison peice of kit. The bad news, it aint cheap.....

Shopping Cart (Prices in British Pounds)

DESCRIPTION
QUANTITY
PRICE
Ext. Price

ice>Link:iPod v1.1 with Unilink cable set
£46.81
£46.81

ice>Link:iPod active cradle for 3rd generation iPod
£21.27
£21.27

Renault installation adaptor for VDO "Tuner List" head units in Clio, Megane, Scenic and Laguna
£42.55
£42.55

Subtotal
£110.63

VAT
£19.38

Total
£130.01

Let me know if you do go for it, be interested to know what its like to use. I got to wait another 8 weeks for the video link kit! Now that should be interesting! £130 isnt too bad considering what you achieving, have seen some of those fm sender units at 50 odd quid and the aux input leads for big brand name head units can be similar money so all in all with the cradle as well thats pretty good. IMO!

Since just getting an iPod mini, was wondering if anyone with an ipod and a MK1 172 has tried this kit out? if so, comments?

Hope this isnt a dull question, but if it interfaces via the multichanger cables and you have a multichanger where does that leave you?

Do you have to choose between the ice link and the multichanger or can you have both?

Quote: Originally posted by rugbyfiend on 12 August 2004

Hope this isnt a dull question, but if it interfaces via the multichanger cables and you have a multichanger where does that leave you?

Do you have to choose between the ice link and the multichanger or can you have both?
so lets see. You have your ipod with yoru entire music collection on it but you want to have your CD changer too. The CDs in your changer will already be in your iPod if you have common sense.

Does anyone know if you could feed the wire from the changer port through to the glovebox and then have your ipod sitting in there without a big cradle. Because really, whats the point in having the ipod there? its not like you need the buttons to control it. I think i may be making a purchase of one of these. And also an in car kit for my phone as i was almost caught yesterday.

Ta, Andy

Hi, I have an iPod connected via iceLink to my Clios standard fit head unit, and it is sat in the glovebox all the time, because I can control it with my stereo remote and it is out of site of thieving mailto:b@stards">b@stards. Oh, and Im well pleased with it, 2,500 songs at my fingertips and great sound quality! :D

Markh: Just spoke to my mate with the Cooper S, the fools has still not put it in yet, as he needs to find something to hold the mount to the dash, dont know why he doesnt just put it in his glove box, but hey ho!

Quote: Originally posted by andy_leitch on 25 August 2004

so lets see. You have your ipod with yoru entire music collection on it but you want to have your CD changer too. The CDs in your changer will already be in your iPod if you have common sense.
not as dull as it sounds, i have an ipod mini which is already full, so if i get a couple of new cds whilst Im out then i can listen to them straight off. Its not unusual for me to not be able to update the ipod for a couple of weeks as Im often away.

I do see youre point though, whilst it would be great to have the ice link, id still like to keep the changer. i have a feeling I might have to sacrifice the changer and just use the single cd player in the dash for any new CDs that i buy.

Quote: Originally posted by rugbyfiend on 26 August 2004

not as dull as it sounds, i have an ipod mini which is already full, so if i get a couple of new cds whilst Im out then i can listen to them straight off. Its not unusual for me to not be able to update the ipod for a couple of weeks as Im often away.

I do see youre point though, whilst it would be great to have the ice link, id still like to keep the changer. i have a feeling I might have to sacrifice the changer and just use the single cd player in the dash for any new CDs that i buy.
Thats hardly a hardship useing the single cd slot! ^^^

Quote: Originally posted by Max172cup on 26 August 2004

Quote: Originally posted by rugbyfiend on 26 August 2004

Thats hardly a hardship useing the single cd slot! ^^^
it aint a hardship at all, it would just be better if i could have both!

havent bothered reading all the posts on here, but my mate just bought an ipod with the FM transmitter, you can program it to any frequency and the quality is tip top!

Quote: Originally posted by ukravo on 26 August 2004

havent bothered reading all the posts on here, but my mate just bought an ipod with the FM transmitter, you can program it to any frequency and the quality is tip top!
Heard so many bad reviews about these, apparently they are ok if you are static, like in your house as you can tune all your radios to the frequency and have the same tune in every room, but as soon as you drive any distance you are constantly getting interferance from new stations taht pop up on the radar! Not too bad if you live in a rural area, but crap in a big city.

Heard so many bad reviews about these, apparently they are ok if you are static, like in your house as you can tune all your radios to the frequency and have the same tune in every room, but as soon as you drive any distance you are constantly getting interferance from new stations taht pop up on the radar! Not too bad if you live in a rural area, but crap in a big city.
yeh, but if you pick a frequency thats never used near you, then your fine. spose its just trials and error

The other thing with the FM transmitter, cannot control the ipod from the steering wheel controls.. also, does charge while plugged into the car as it does with the ice-link

thats what ive found. Any further than about 40 miles from home i just dont bother, as its a real hassle to find empty frequencies as youre driving and by the time youve tuned it in, it changes again

[Edited by rugbyfiend on 26 August 2004 at 12:58pm]

Hi guys, right, ive been paid and im now gonna get one of these ice links. Can anyone tell me which of these 2 would be the head unit in a 2002 172 Cup. 22DC259 or 22DC279

Cheers Guys,

Max

Guess you could just remove teh headunit to find out for sure... Keep me posted on how it goes (As 1) havent found a place to ship a kit O/S and 2) funds right now)

Hey max youll need to get loads of pics and post up a walkthrough of your installation. I think wed all be very interested to find out how this goes.

Ta, Andy

My itrip works great, 87.9 is the set frequency though....

The quality is so good (Probably an area thing) that it makes me upgrading my ICE to fit the ipod...

But as said b4, you cant use your steering wheel controls with it which is a bugger

If its transmitting by FM the quality cant be particularly good no matter how good the system is. But then again its only mp3s anyway so its not that much of an issue.