ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it my cat?!!

Fabia VRS
Hi
Had my car for like 6months now and since ive had it its made a strange noise at around 2500rpm. when you drive past a close wall with the window open its really load. its almost like a rattling, pinging noise in the exhaust. if you drive slowly it comes then goes about 3000rpm but if you gun it in carrys on untill the engine noise over powers it. im pretty sure its the exhast because its quite a tinny sound. any help would be awsome!!! Renault said they would LOOK at it for £88.33!!!
Cheers:)

Renault Clio 172
Bit of a long shot, but one of the screws or something could be loose or got stuck in the exhaust and the fumes are pushing it around?

Take it to Kwik-Fit, they might look at it for free. Even if you ask them for their advice. I took mine their with my exhaust because it was loose. They looked at it for free.

Fabia VRS
Been to an exhaust place that put it up on the ramps. and when they bashed the middle silencer it did sound like the same noise. but it was a renault only part so i gota go get it from them. anyone else had this problem??

Ex-172 owner. Now a Mini!
My middle section went, and it is a Renault part. But if you order direct from Renault, it costs more, whereas Kwick Fit will order the identical part from Renault and you'll pay less. Weird but true! I 'think' Renault wanted about £240 for it and Kwik Fit charged me £180 for it, supplied and fitted. It was definitely a Renault genuine part as I asked to see it.

Mine used to do a similar thing. I never worried about, but tried to avoid keeping at the revs where it made the noise for a long time. Just meant I had to drive faster ;-)

When my back box went and got replaced so did the vibration. It sounded like the rattle came from the front but in the end it must have just been a loose baffle in the back box.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Mine does this, I love the noise :cool: it also does a weird squeaking sound as it hits redline in first (not that I do that much!) but it sounds so cool I don't want it 'fixed' lol

182 Cup
Mine does something similar, had it in the air last week to see if I could find the problem. Looks like mine in the lead from the lambda sensor hitting the heatshield. Haven't done anything about it yet, but it's worth checking.

Fabia VRS
Cheers for the replys!! So im not alone on this. lol. its been happening since i got the car i just didn't really notice it. I think ill get renault to look at it in the service.
Cheers for your help lads:)

Ex-172 owner. Now a Mini!
Not sure mine made the noise you are refering to, my centre section snaped from corosion! Just thought I'd let you kow that ordering through Kwik Fit worked out cheaper for the same part for some weird reason.

clio 182
mine did this too the join between mid exhaust and the cat came slightly loose and was making same sound o clip and exhaust seal worked