ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it ok to use petrol/wd40 to clean a throttle body?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
As above really, don't have any brake/carb cleaner and want to get the job done now if possible and petrol or wd40 wont be a problem?

Thanks

SQ5
Yes you can. I hope your taking it off though?

Best off splitting the throttle body down to its components and cleaning all and rebuilding. I did and have never had any problems.

SQ5
I could do. I have a spare throttle body that sticks. I'll strip one down and photograph it during the week :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers, seems something quite a few people are told to try when having problems so would be useful :)

53 Clio's & counting
I did a thread a few years ago on removing and cleaning/lubing a ph1 tb, its in the guides se tion :)

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Ok, iv just taken it off and inside is pretty dirty, also iv noticed that the butterfly doesnt seem to be shutting 100%, iv got a couple of pics here. Should it close completely flat is in 90degrees to the housing? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341147633.055027.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1341147656.337682.jpg

53 Clio's & counting
Fancy making a guide for the forum Danny? :eek:

I did a thread a few years ago on removing and cleaning/lubing a ph1 tb, its in the guides se tion :)

I'll try and sort something out. I'll start writing it this evening!

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...ng-revs-jerking-on-light-throttle-on-your-ph1

Is yours a ph1 or ph2? Icant see the pics at the mo.

It should spring back yes

Id like to see a guide.

Get it done Danny!! :D

Flol am I invisible? :eek:

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Ph2, right all fitted and the car idles perfect now (touch wood) at about 800rpm, needle sits perfectly still whereas it used to be up and down like a yo yo. After i had a think about it i came to the conclusion that if the butterfly was to shut 100% then it wouldn't idle because no air would get in?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Yep spot on, cheers for the advice everyone.

Also gave my panel filter a clean and oil which probably helped!

56b06188-61c8-6915.jpg

Last edited: