ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it possible to fit a towbar to a 182

Porsche GT4, Eagle

I was planning on towing my R1 to the Nurburgring next month. However I cant find a towbar suitable for the Clio 182 anywhere.

Is it possible to fit one?

Has anyone else done it?

Cheers.

Ben

tiTTy & SV650

A lot of cars - such as Saabs and Mercedes you can get removable swan neck tow bars, i.e. not visible from the back of the car when youre not using them. I presume youd need to weld something onto the car to do this, exhaust is right in the way on a 182.

If using this type of tow bar you dont get the big square plate with bolt holes, you just have a ball to mount to.

I know this from my days in a bike shop fitting tow bar mounted bike racks and trailers...

Good luck!

For the cost of a decent detatchable towbar and fitting you could probably pick up an old workhorse of a volvo with one on it already. I know which id rather do.

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 13 June 2005

For the cost of a decent detatchable towbar and fitting you could probably pick up an old workhorse of a volvo with one on it already. I know which id rather do.
well theres that but then u have to insure it...

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

You cant get a towbar for the 182, you can for the 172

I believe it is to do with the extra exhaust can, and the lack or spare wheel bell.

Quote: Originally posted by rory182 on 13 June 2005

well theres that but then u have to insure it...

some insurance cos will cover a second occasional use vehicle on your policy or do you a second policy very cheap, would be worth asking.

But as Cocopops says i dont think you can get them anyway due to the way the cars exhaust is routed.

182 - no chance

172 - I dont see why not, but Im sure my handbook doesnt list a towing weight for the 172, i.e. doesnt recommend towing with it.

Quote: Originally posted by rory182 on 13 June 2005Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 13 June 2005 For the cost of  a decent detatchable towbar and fitting you could probably pick up an old workhorse of a volvo with one on it already. I know which id rather do. [/QUOTE]well theres that but then u have to insure it...some insurance cos will cover a second occasional use vehicle on your policy or do you a second policy very cheap, would be worth asking.But as Cocopops says i dont think you can get them anyway due to the way the cars exhaust is routed.[/QUOTE]

from experience when i got my 172 it was a month late but i had already started the insurance and stopped it from my old fiat brava, when it didnt arrive i had to re-insure my fiat month by month until the 172 turned up, i had full no claims and after ringing just about every insurancxe company the cheapest i could find was dirct line who i was with at 65 quid per month i.e over 700 quid for the year on a group 3 insurance car.. as you cannot get no claims discount on 2 cars. so hence it it not a cheap tactic to have two cars....

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by y0z2a on 13 June 2005

I am planning on putting a tow hook on my 172.

dont see why not?

/y0z
thoughtfull of you to help the aa out

Porsche GT4, Eagle

Thanks guys.

Back to the drawing board then.

I like the idea of a wreck except I will be driving it about 1000 miles - and to buy a car I could trust would cost quite a bit. Then there is insurance/breakdown cover/ worry, plus the fact that I will miss out on the enjoyable drive in my Clio.

And no I am definately not buying a caravan!

http://homepage.mac.com/benlovering/iMovieTheater14.htmlTHIS IS WHY I WANT TO TOW ...

[Edited by Guzzler on 6/14/2005 11:39:15 AM]

Unless you want to take big risks with insurance by getting a bar custom made, you really need to swop the 182 - I use my wifes car to tow my bike these days, and if its any consolation you cant put them on CTRs/LCRs either! (used to have one on my Punto GT though!)

Full Fat 182

I think that there is one for the Leon as i used to have a S3 with a removable towbar and they are very similar.

They removed the bar behind the bumper and futted a new one with the lock already welded on

chris

Yup - my m8 has an S3 with a bar too, although I think its just the Cupra R model that you cant get one for - standard Cupra is ok.

Cant understand it personally - ok hot hatches arent tow cars, but why not set a really low weight limit so you can only pull bikes/jetskis etc?

Porsche GT4, Eagle

Quote: Originally posted by steamywindows on 14 June 2005
you are mad !! what was the best time you did

That lap was about 8.20 bridge to gantry. I reckon I have probably done it about 10 seconds faster without the camera. Thats on the bike. VXT was slower. VXR was quicker :)

Porsche GT4, Eagle

Quote: Originally posted by Tom on 14 June 2005
8.20? Wow.  

I have 3 days closed circuit on the Ring in July - on the R1. I hope to get a quick lap or 2 on tape.

Full Fat 182

I wish that they did do a towbar as i have to borrow the Wifes Diesel 206 to tow the Jetski with and it is not my cup of tea.

I have even contemplated getting rid of the 182 and going back to a S3 because of the towbar.

chris