ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it possible to turbo a Clio 1.2 RT /98

Renault Clio 1.2 RT
hey guys , new to the forum and was wondering if it was possible to turbo a Clio 1.2 RT year:98 petrol

Iv heard many things but can it be done ? , What parts do i need ? , how much would it cost ?

Hope to hear from you guys soon :)

Thanks CarYoda

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Yes. On a budget it would cost you probably in the £1000 region + labour if you're not handy with spanners

on a car that's worth about 40p is it really worth the hassle?

you won't get much more power out of it either and could end up making it undriveable

mgd

Clio 182
Sell it and buy a faster standard car, you could pick up a 172/182 for not much more than the cost to turbo a 1.2 clio

Renault Clio 1.2 RT
Sell it and buy a faster standard car, you could pick up a 172/182 for not much more than the cost to turbo a 1.2 clio
Thanks for all of your reply's :) , another few questions i was hoping you guys could answer

1) what other mods can i do on the engine to ether gain a bit more power or increase the performance ?
2) what kind of body mods can i do ? iv heard about grills ? cant find any on ebay though , i dont know what the (upgraded) grills would be from ?
3) what are the main things i should do to the car as FIRST mods ?

i know most of the questions are being asked in the wrong section but was hoping you guys could help :D

decent set of tyres and save the rest of your money for a 172/182... i'm guessing this is your first car? seriously isn't worth chucking a load of coin at it

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The D7F engine really isn't worth modifying, the only thing I did to mine was put a K&N 57i on which will not add power, but will make a really good noise at full throttle. As above, a good set of tyres is the best performance modification you can do.

The grilles you've heard about are for Phase 2's, as your car is a 1998 car it must be a Phase 1, which don't really have grilles. Dual optic headlights, phase 2 tail lights and the 172/cup/trophy spoilers are all pretty much straight swaps (but for the dual optics you'll have to alter the wiring slightly, there's a guide on here, and for a trophy spoiler you'll need shorter boot struts to stop the spoiler whacking the roof)

Other than that, have a look through the non sport thread, generally look through CS and decide what you like.

ST
The D7F engine really isn't worth modifying, the only thing I did to mine was put a K&N 57i on which will not add power, but will make a really good noise at full throttle. As above, a good set of tyres is the best performance modification you can do.

The grilles you've heard about are for Phase 2's, as your car is a 1998 car it must be a Phase 1, which don't really have grilles. Dual optic headlights, phase 2 tail lights and the 172/cup/trophy spoilers are all pretty much straight swaps (but for the dual optics you'll have to alter the wiring slightly, there's a guide on here, and for a trophy spoiler you'll need shorter boot struts to stop the spoiler whacking the roof)

Other than that, have a look through the non sport thread, generally look through CS and decide what you like.

Is that a technical term McPickle? LOL.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member

d8f.jpg

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Thanks for all of your reply's :) , another few questions i was hoping you guys could answer

1) what other mods can i do on the engine to ether gain a bit more power or increase the performance ?
2) what kind of body mods can i do ? iv heard about grills ? cant find any on ebay though , i dont know what the (upgraded) grills would be from ?

i know most of the questions are being asked in the wrong section but was hoping you guys could help :D

1) nothing
2) 172/182 grill
3) tyres, coilovers, brakes. Save for a faster car

If he's got a 98 1.2 then it's a PH1, so no 1*2 grills. :rasp:

Turboing the car would be like
pissing.gif

Your best bet is learning to drive better. The best mod you can do (as echo'd) is a decent set of tyres and get practising on your heel-toeing and rev-matching. At least in a 1.2 you're going slow enough for it not to matter (much) if you f**k it up.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
^^ I know someone that did that. The picture on his face when he realised it had melted to his exhaust manifold was pretty funny.

Clio RS 200 Gordini

I've got a Mark 3 TCE and that's modified to its maximum without a bigger OEM turbo etc (Was already turbo when I picked it up as Renault released TCE versions to deal with the s**t pull the standard 1.2 16v's had). With that engine you will never be able to put a large turbo on it or you'll need upgraded internals or you can have a fun time watching a piston fly through your bonnet.

You can do it, but only an ECO turbo probably or if you did put a larger one on then the only benefit is that you can hold the torque curve better but not necessarily more power. About 120-130BHP from a 1.2 if setup correctly. Turbo Yooooda!

Well well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AW6T6ILRfw

Here's a 1.0l producing 120BHP!

Last edited:
  Clio RS 200 Gordini
^ 130bhp, you will get another 20bhp out that before you need to worry about a bigger turbo ;)

Not when its on finance ;) Not interested in paying £95 a month for a blown car. The current turbo is the size of a wheel nut mate and the torque drop off I get is unbelievable. Will put a project up when the car has done 50k miles and I've paid the thing off haha.

Clio RS 200 Gordini
thought you didn't want to blow it up? lol

Running sweet so far. Needs to go back down though due to MAF targets being too low. Free fix of course. Lovely pull and you can definitely feel the turbo cutting in fast. Unfortunately due to it being the size of a wheel nut it can't give out any more torque and it just drops off as the engine RPM goes up. Becomes N/A feeling around 5,000 RPM.

Clio RS 200 Gordini
that's the benefit of a turbo car though ive never got mine above 5000rpm!

No need to really. They become s**t over 5K anyway really pointless to keep running it over. 4.5-5K should be your change. I get 55MPG on a run after the map and 40MPG before. My Extra Urban driving MPG is 40MPG too. Drinks when its ragged though.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I find your best to keep going till 5k if your really going for it as you get the overboost at 4.5k but when just making quick progress 3500-4000rpm is more than enough!

Clio RS 200 Gordini
I find your best to keep going till 5k if your really going for it as you get the overboost at 4.5k but when just making quick progress 3500-4000rpm is more than enough!

My overboost protection kicks in at 4.5K anyway, can't be used at the moment. Thats why I need to go back down, it freezes the RPM at 3,000 and I can't do anything until I key off and key on again.