ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it really the dephaser?

Hi guys, first post so be gentle! :D

Just picked up a Clio 182 and put it in a trusted local garage for a new timing belt and service. Wish I'd found this forum beforehand though! :(

The car had an oil and filters change, new plugs and the timing/aux belts.

Car now sounds like an old diesel Octavia when idling. The garage thinks it might be the dephaser....

I've been through countless threads on CS to find out more on this problem but can't see any accounts of dephaser issues immediately following a timing belt change.

The car hasn't been driven since I picked it up after the dephaser diagnosis. Can the dephaser be replaced without having to replace all the hardware again?

I'm happy to try anything that might rule out the dephaser. The noise is coming from the top of the engine bay but not had the cover off to pinpoint exactly where. Got a video but never uploaded one before so I'll need to work out how to do it! :)

Can't say for sure if the noise gets worse or better when I rev it. Away from home at the minute and won't even get a chance to try it again until Sunday...

Mk1 16v brooklands
Deffo sounds like it..

Ask one of the guys from btm on here of everything needs replacing again. as its done zero miles I wouldn't think it would tbh. OOnly maybe a few weeks/months after I would have said

Gutted! This is a dilemma now. It's had a fair bit of work so far but not really prepared to keep throwing cash at it. Thought I'd snapped up a bargain but it's beginning to look like a moneypit!:eek:

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
thats 100% dephaser imo. Like mentioned above, if the belts havent been run much, new stuff shouldnt be needed. But if they have streched already then new stuff will be needed. think fred does the whole setup for £600ish?! Or you cuold get some cams put in at the same time and get it done as a bundle...

Thanks fatty! Sounds like it'll be a pricey fix!

I wonder if I could just run it as is? Is it likely to fail?

Given that the noise only started after the service, does that suggest the timing is out?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
it would be low on power. The dephaser was probably bad before, you just wasnt listening for it. I have heard they 'can' explode/implode in rare cases, but most of the time they just remain noisy.

Thanks Fred. I'll call you tomorrow for a quote!:cheers:

Had a look at the car today and discovered some more issues.... Skip to 33 secs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-1Z4aoBFlo

As mentioned, the car hasn't been used much recently aside from a few trips to the local garage. Does it just need a new exhaust or is it something worse? :eek:

Last edited: