ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

IS it worth changing my 172 steering wheel

sw1

Clio 172
Hi Guys,

Currently have a 197 on order for delivery around mid Jan time, wanted to get your views on my 172.

Overall in very good condition 03 plate black, just had new front + rear disc and pads, serviced 3k miles ago, will have 6 months tax when I sell it in Jan. MoT in April.

I have the dreaded steering wheel syndrome where the grip has come off on one side, do you think it is worth replacing.

Also has 3 scuffed alloys but nothing major and a couple of few small scratches, overall paint work in excellent condition.

Would it make a difference to you guys if you were buying one considering it has had all the well known wearable bits just changed?

Currently has 42K on the clock and I was thinking around 5.5k on it, I think that's quite reasonable.

Any feedback would be great.

Clio_Smart
Well save you time you could just take it off the final price around £120 and get the alloys refurbed as its a nice car you would like to turn up and see it in mint condition.

Mind you having a new steering whell will make alot of difference i think :D

sw1

Clio 172
cheers, does anyone know where I can get hold of one and what sort of cost they are?

Been looking on ebay and most of the ones I see have the worn grip too.

As long as I get 5k or over for it I'm happy, would rather the car went to someone who's going to appreciate it rather then someone that's going to run it into the ground.

Clio_Smart
Your looking at least £100+

There was a thread on here for a steering wheel if i remember correctly ill have a look :D

172cup
one was for sale on here for 120 which is way too much in my opinion. they're not much more from reno.

shouldn't cost more than 50notes really.

Clio_Smart
Yea yuo would think not more than £50 but they gor for at least £120 and think of VAT from renualt.

You don't sound hard up yet you're posting about minor issues ("as long as I get 5k"). If you're not that bothered just advertise the thing and get rid of it.

It's not as if a new steering wheel nets you another grand!

sw1

Clio 172
Agreed, not hard up. Just want 5k to settle a loan I have. I already have the funds for the 197

Think I may just clean it up and take a slight knock on the price, want to spend as little as I can as I've just had all round disc and pads.

I've seen 01 172's on ebay going for around 4.5 so I reckon I should be able to pick up 5k for mine.

Also got to tax it in Jan

Just wanted to get the experts view ;o)))

BMW Z4 3.0i
Hello guys, have any of you actually spoken to a Renault parts desk and asked how much a new 172 steering wheel is? Because I have...

£350

So like someone else said, I'd leave it, drop your price by a couple of hundred and maybe leave yourself room to allow for haggling another couple of hundred.

BMW Z4 3.0i
Car is over 3 years old, trim is only guaranteed for the first one or two years I think. Apparently getting these steering wheel replaced under warranty is like getting blood out of a stone. The just argue it's down to wear and tear despite sheer numbers proving it's clearly poor design or quality so poor it's not fit for purpose.

What kind of crazy company thinks it's acceptable for you to pay £350 for a new steering wheel every 2-3 years? They must be out of their minds.

My rubber grips are in tact but my "leather" (pff!) is disintigrating on my 3 1/2 year old car. If anyone knows an infallible way of getting at least a partial contribution from Renault, I'm all ears.

Mondeo STTDCI
If I was selling a car I would definitely fix those bits.

As a buyer in todays market where there are any number of RS Clios around the quality is important. I would want a car in the condition you descirbe to be around £500 cheaper than a comparable car in good condition.

Not only that, but its the hassle of getting a refurb done and sorting a wheel out. In reality a refurb can be had for about £200 in the right places and the wheel for £150. Its up to you if you can be bothered or not but you will see the value back in the sale and the time it takes to sell.