ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

is it worth px'ing my 172cup for a williams

Ph1 172
it's an older car so prob more chance of things having to be done to it.

As far as I'm aware the rear arches like to crumble on the mk1s

up to you though, if you fancy a bit of old skool then go for it, personally I'd keep the cup

Vw caddy tdi
They are alot lighter than a 172/182 and handle amazing, a good friend of mine has a willy 3 with reprofiled cams headwork and raised rev limiter IT EATS my ph1! slower?!? in standard form possibly? but with a bit done power to a willy power to weight ratio and handling make it a better car than a 172 all day every day..But yes it will proberly fall apart alot quicker if used as an every day car and not maintained meticulously.. Tuned willy 1 FTW

Last edited:
The things that usually wear on cars are servicable items. Ball joints, calipers, water pumps, drive belts etc.

If the car has been looked after (and service intervals adhered to) there is no reason why the serivable items will be in any less good condition than on your 172 cup.

An 77k williams that is serviced correctly for example will have a cambelt, tensioner and idle pulley in better condition than a 20k 172 cup.

The problem is that people skimp on servicing, and that other people buy the under serviced cars, find problems and sell on again with more propblems.

A fully serviced williams will be as reliable as a fully serviced 172 cup, all things being equal.

The trick is therfore to only buy a car that has been serviced at a main dealers, and has been serviced with oil ever 3k and all other items at the correct intervals.