ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

is my clio a cup/UK spec? import?

clio 172
I have a 2002 clio sport, unsure of its initial registration history, but it was supplied by Dixon distribution originally. The log book does not say 172/172 cup, only clio saloon 2000cc (not 1998CC confusingly)

chassis number starts VF1CB1NOF264*****
engine is a F4R736
It has ABS and the rear sensor cable relates to a car with ESP, though I've never noticed any dash lights for ESP
It was registered from new in the UK

so is it a UK car? or a parallel import? CB1N I presume means its a cup? anything obvious to tell on the suspension that is different? The car does have the standard 16" 172 wheels, not the speedlines, presumably from new (I know the cars history since 2004). Reason for asking I've had the car a couple of years now, and the Honda main dealer I spoke while thinking of PX'ing didn't think it was a UK car ... I bought from it from a friend, who bought it in 2004 at 2 years old from lookers Chelmsford Renault main dealers - hence knowing the car isn't too oddball. But I'd like to know a bit more about it before I sell it.

I'm the 3rd owner and the cars only done 46'000 miles.

apologies for the boat being the main picture, but its the only rear ish view of the car I have :)

2012-09-11072933_resized_zps746a2483.jpg

2012-09-21114027_resized_zpsf32fdcaf.jpg

Last edited:
  clio 172
ok, that's that cleared up then, so why the CB1N chassis number? and the F4r736 engine code, or is this common on all phase 2 172's?

Last edited:
  AB182, Audi A5 3.0
ok, that's that cleared up then, so why the CB1N chassis number? and the F4r736 engine code, or is this common on all phase 2 172's?
the chassis and engine have nothing to do with it being a cup. the differences in the cups were spoiler, wheels, suspension related and removed items that wouldn't be needed on track to make them lighter, like the leather seats, xenons and climate control.

Listerine & Poledo
My '53 plate 172 had climate and cruise.
But it was also an import. I think the giveaway was the Cobra alarm box on the windscreen. Imports didn't have an integrated alarm as standard maybe?

Clio 3 extreme
CB1N- The C means its a 2 door, B means its a hatchback, 1 doesnt relate to anything important and the N means its a 172. Hope this helps :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My '53 plate 172 had climate and cruise.
But it was also an import. I think the giveaway was the Cobra alarm box on the windscreen. Imports didn't have an integrated alarm as standard maybe?
Standard uk cars had locking wheel nuts, window etching and cat1 alarms fitted at the docks when they arrived in the UK.

Import cars (from the likes of motorpoint, jamjar etc) didn't. As a result non standard equipment was fitted.