ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is my clio taking too much antifreeze?

I topped up about 3 months ago or so with some antifreeze, and looking under the bonnet again, it was just at the minimum level. I added a bit more.

I remember 3 months ago when i topped it up it was also low, around middway.

Is it normal to top it up so often? What sort of symptoms would i expect with this kind of problem?

No leaks from what i can see. Unless its leaking somewhere on something else which is trickling off. If its a leak it must be a extremely small one to go through about a litre in 2 months or so.

I hope it's using it. But I've never come across a car which uses that much over couple of months. Perhaps due to change in colder weather?

Bought the car 6 months ago. Not aware of any HG problem/changess

P2 172, Mazda 6 est
Mine did this and it turned out to be a small radiator leak which was very difficult to see until it got worse as then the coolant could be seen dripping off the bottom of the bumper after ragging it. Now it's doing it again to a much lesser extent because the thermostat gasket is dying and it's leaking slightly from the housing. Much easier to spot and, fortunately, much easier to repair.

So I guess I need to wait for it to get worse. At the moment it's impossible to see. With such a small amount it could well evaporate due to engine heat.

P2 172, Mazda 6 est
Could pop the bumper off and have a look at the rad easily enough. Mine went on the N/S bottom corner which is apparently quite common for whatever reason and easy to see once it's exposed.

Have a look for a build up of shite on the thermostat housing and any leaks on the stat to rad pipe while the bumper is off.

I think I may have found something related to this. Take a look at the image.

It looks like there might be a leak there leaving the residue of the solution (seeing as it's the same colour). Is this plausible?

Attachments

• 20141118_150813.jpg
    20141118_150813.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 156
Fair enough, so I need to get the whole radiator replaced then? Problem is that if I pick up a second hand on, I can't be sure that it doesn't have the same problem until I've fitted it. Unless I pick up a brand new one, of course.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
No. The 65 with ac has an all in one radiator. check it has the brackets to slot the intercooler in to.

clio dci , ren8
The first ebay add you refer to looks to be the correct radiator for a 80 bh dci the later one doesn't look correct for a 80 & looks like a universal 1.5dci 65 or 1.2 petrol radiator

Update: Radiator has been replaced, but the car is still loosing fluid. Could there be a leak in one of the pipes? It looks like this is going to turn into an exploration job!