ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

is my dephaser cam broke

clio valver 172
Hi fellasWhen i rev it to 1.5k it rattles like mad when its warm from the intake cam side but when you unplug the dephaser solenoid it stops. So is it the dephaser cam that needs replacing or the solenoid.Plus does anyone know where to get it changed and timed up properly in rhyl, north walesCheers guys

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
no, that sounds like the cam timing is a long way out, and the inlet valves are touching the pistons as the dephaser activates. Only time I've seen that before actually is on a dealership rebuilt engine where they'd fitted the pistons the wrong way round so the small valve cutouts were facing the larger valves. Has it been rebuilt?

clio valver 172
Nah it ran fine till the aux belt snapped but changed that then this rattle accoured.
It comes from the dephaser cam side but it starts up fine an idles fine till ypu rev it to 1.5k
but if you unplug the dephaser solenoid it doesnt make the rattle
cheers for the reply mate

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
the aux belt snapping has probably lead to the crank pulley slipping and throwing the timing out. It will be out by a pretty long way to make contact noises

SQ5
Sounds like its skipped a tooth or two when the aux belt snapped, timing is now out and then even further out when dephaser/VVT bit is activated.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As dannyr said, aux belt when it went probably got under the Cambelt and made it jump a tooth or two.
Dig the cam seals out the gearbox end, pin the crank at tdc, see if the timing marks line up properly still.

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Mikey, before you start assuming the worst that the timing is out.... do you have any good mechanics, friends etc... with the correct timing tools for this engine? As you could check if the timings out before you start taking it apart. The solenoid is just a simple switch that controls the oil feed for the dephaser pulley, at idle the pulley should be locked. As you rev up then.... the dephaser starts to make the inlet timing variable :) When the aux belt snapped...... did it damage the timing belt casing etc?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
All you need to check the timing is a pin for the crank or a clock to check tdc on the piston down the if hole, you will be able to see at a glance if the cams has moved far enough to be a problem, you won't even need the timing horseshoe to see that but you will need it to actually set it.