ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is Shock Absorber Fluid Green?

Audi TT 225
Took my drivers side wheel off and noticed the inside was plastered in green sludge. Its like grease.
Is this shock absorber fluid? Ive been running apex on standard shocks for over a year.

Audi TT 225
Ah its ok I think I know now just googled it.
Why would all that grease and I mean theres a LOT of it be on the inside of my wheel?

Its like a hand full of the stuff was smeared all around the inside of the rim... it was caked!

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Its the grease thats normally sealed inside a rubber boot.

If its the CV joint it would have to be shot to pieces for it to effect the steering.

You would have noticed the noise, especially on full lock., unless you drive with the tunes full up all the time !

If your not sure, get someone to check it for you.

Audi TT 225
God I swear Im gonna burn this car out and screw my no claims....
Steering feels like its got free play, I can wobble the wheel while driving abotu half and inch eather way without affecting direction massivly.
Feels like it lurches a bit in some corners.
Have had a little creaking from the drivers side (thought it was the top mount) when on a hill and using almost full lock.
I hardly drive it these days so aint noticed too much...

Audi TT 225
Ahhh crap I bet I know what it was! I was turning around in the mini industrial estate behind my house. Theres two loading ramps side by side with a slight height difference between em and the drivers side clunked down onto the next level of one of em... fudge it must have been that :(
Expensive job to replace?

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Well that sounds a strong contender.
you need to get it checked.

Worse case scenario, the drive shaft separates and punches nine bells out of your gearbox.

Dont know the cost off hand, ask Edde or Fred

Audi TT 225
Would this have done it? Its not very big :(

DSC00116.gif

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
^^^Possibly, possibly not. It would depend on the angle at which you hit it.

My CV had a habit of popping every couple of hundered miles and spilling its' insides all over the shocker, caliper and wheel. When secured properly using a proper tie I had no further issues.

Don't try a cheap tie from a motor factors, they don't have the strength to seal the CV and stay put under heavy load. If it is just the tie, take it to a garage and ask them to re-grease it re-seal it, probably no more than £20.

As for checks, have a look at the boot for splits or even if it is attached properly, you will know what I mean when you check.

Audi TT 225
Turned right up onto the ramp facing the white building, reversed away from the camera on almost full lock and the wheel bumped down that little gap :S
Should I look for a rip in the rubber cover or something?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
It could have popped off if you gave it a good whack.

You need to be looking for a split anywhere around the circumference of the boot but, as Brian said, it would need to be seriously split to spill that much grease.

My money is on the fact that it has popped off. Even more likely if your car is lowered.

Audi TT 225
I'll get her up in the air tomorrow and have a good look. I heard a bit of a clonk but wasn't anything major so didn't think anything of it until now.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Dependant on how long it has been spilling its grease, you may well get away with re-greasing and re-sealing/fitting a new boot and leaving it at that. It's alway worth giving that a go before full replacement due to the costs involved ie. new CV is muchos dinero, new boot and grease is peanuts.

Audi TT 225
Thats good to know. It was a few days ago but I could count the number of miles its done on one hand thank god.
I wouldn't have even known if I hadn't taken the wheel off on a whim!

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
You should be fine then mate. Keep it dry and have a look ASAP. You would have soon known there was an issue as the grease began depositing itself down the side of the car.