ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is the 182 and 172 ECU interchangeable?

J@Y

Clio 182 and CBR 600
I need to change the ECU on my 182 as it appears to have died...

Can I buy a 172 one if its available or will it not run? Does it have to be a specific 182 ECU?

Thanks

J@Y

Clio 182 and CBR 600
How do you know the ECU has died.

A garage thought mine was knackered, but it was fine.

Make 100% sure first.

What was the cause of yours to fail in the end mate? Think I've tried everything else...

Please see here...

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?586864-Expert-HELP-Needed-My-Car-STILL-won-t-Start!

Ecus are normally locked to a car buddy iirc.

I know, I'm after an entire key, transponder, UCH and ECU set.

Thanks

J@Y

Clio 182 and CBR 600
But back to my original question, can anyone tell me if a ECU off a phase two (2003) 172 will work run my 182 correctly?

BMW M135i
No, it could do but they are a coded pair to a car with the UCH for the immobisiler. To swap one with another you'd need the ECU, UCH, decoder ring (maybe not can't remember exactly) and keys from the donor car.

Mine didn't fail, that's why I said make sure.

The original garage I took it to said they thought it had failed, but Matt@TDF has got the car running, so the ECU is fine.

J@Y

Clio 182 and CBR 600
How can u be sure? I've tried everything else I can think of. Have a look at the link above. Can you come and look at it with me one evening? I'll pay you well if u fix it!
It won't be ecu. The ecu's aren't interchangeable between 172 and 182 unfortunately

Golf GTD Mk7
How can u be sure? I've tried everything else I can think of. Have a look at the link above. Can you come and look at it with me one evening? I'll pay you well if u fix it!

Ecus don't break mate, very very rare. I could have a look for you, but I've no longer got my diagnostic kit, so it would be guess work I'm afraid.

Golf GTD Mk7
Strange one, as the chance of something breaking in them is minute. There's always one ;)

not un heard of though. Schweppy's did on his RB. Fixed by renault IIRC

Just read through your old thread. Solid light is as mentioned, the ecu isn't communicating with the uch because it senses an issue somewhere. No GO code sent, no spark. It could be earth related, but most likely wiring. It might not be directly related to the ecu either due to the "special" way renaultsport are made.
Flat battery aside, had you messed, manipulated or changed anything in the engine bay? Mick might be worth a shout as he's mobile.

J@Y

Clio 182 and CBR 600
Just Pm'd you to explain mate. No, not that I can think of. The car had been stood for a couple of months. Other than that, nothing was touched.

What earths would likely cause this and where can I check?