ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is the 182 for me ?

Ive joined to put my mind at rest from a few people that have told me NOT to buy a clio. the dreaded limp mode and central locking problems, but are these easy fixes or just idiots ?!!

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Seriously my 182 been the best car i have ever owned!! The money they are going for and for what you are getting is ridiculous value for money.

look after it, and it will look after you. is whati say to people.

Just make sure if you do intend on getting one, to look for receipts for cambelt/aux belt and not just a tick in the service book.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I got limp mode when my airbox fell off on track. But seriously they are really good cars and much better than the non-sport variants.

Sounds good so far, suppose its jus finding a good one not to far from home, ive been miles to loook at cars and it turns out there a bag of S**T !

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Just do it, have some fun, and then if you can't afford/don't think it was worth the money then sell it on. You'll lose some money, but it's better than never knowing, if it's what you feel you definitely want.

Renault clio 2005
I have had 5 clios in my 11 years driving never a sport model though But soon Hopefully :) Never had any major problems. All have needed new rear wheel bearing around the 60k mark and disks and pads. And 3 of these have been used as driving school cars And they get there fair share of abuse at times lol.
I had a phase 1 1.2 8 valve and that had done 134k and was still going strong. Bought the car at 55k from yes car credit and they had told me cambelt had been changed and it had not. so was on original cambelt at 134k I think that`s pretty good going tbh.

on here, go on the problem page and it wont take you long to come across. I suppose it just one of them things, you get good and bad!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I think the limp mode problems are more from the non sports. I had it with my 1.2 but never with my 172.

Been on this forum for a while now and ive never read a thread about central locking or limp mode problems on a clio renaultsport.

182 FF
Have any of the people that are putting you off actually owned a Clio ?
ive owned many jap cars and never thought I'd buy a French car, after seeing two mates own 182's and have absolutely no problems with them I got one too and personally i cant fault it! My mate Andrew's 182 is on 120k and has never been in limp mode or had any locking problems.
ive owned my 182 for about 7 months and had absolutely no problems with it what so ever! It's a pleasure to own :) the key is not to buy any Clio but spend time looking around for a good example

SQ5
I've had everything from Jap to German and always come back to a 172, on my tenth or eleventh now.

So easy to maintain, relatively genuine cheap parts compared to the Germans and Japs. Decent MPG, reasonable tax and insurance and very fun and capable cars.

I'd also go as far to say they are very reliable, and even when they do go wrong being part of this forum will make all problems better explained and easily fixed, even if with mega cheap second hand parts.

182 FF
Good point! I did some research before buying a clio and I couldn't believe how cheap parts are for the Clio in comparison to jap!
For a 2.0 5 speed car, I find them really good on petrol! But I guess that depends on what you're comparing it to lol!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Name another petrol hot hatch that will happily do 45MPG, let alone any other sporty petrol.

Got to agree, after getting around 30mpg in the BMW over christmas, it was certainly nice to jump in the clio and get over 40mpg.

Also, not even heard of central locking problems, and limp mode is just a thing all cars do now when they're ill, not something the clio does more than other cars ime.