ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is the 182 gearbox fragile?

Nissan 350Z
I went out for a drive yesterday and it was great fun. Thrashing the car as I normally do. However, I did notice that if I pull off hard in 1st, get to 7000 revs and then change gear quite quickly, it can seem to crunch.

It did this once, and i've noticed it one or two times previously to yesterday too, and thinking that it isnt doing to car any good, I decided to start changing gear more slowly, and of course, it doesnt do it when you do that.

So, is the 182 gearbox a fragile one? It doesnt really seem to inspire confidence in it when it crunches, since the car effectively encourages an attacking driving style, it seems somewhat at odds to have to change gear slowly.

Does booting the car in first cause damage?

How long does a gearbox last in an RS? How much to replace if it did go bang?

Obviously, if i have to moderate my driving style for the benefit of keeping the car good, then I will, so I'd be grateful if anyone could offer any insight here?

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Ben is the guy to speak to but from my poor knowledge,the box can't be rushed. Its not so much as fragile it just needs used in the correct manner. Iirc ben said more gearboxes go kaput due to poor driving style than actual mechanical problems

clio 182 FF
Ok fair enough wot you guys are saying hear so how do you get the best 0-60 without thrashing 1st, are you meaning dont put it to the redline ?

Glacier White 197 Cup
This happens to me, so id like to know the best way for 0-60 aswell please. Cheers

Herdie

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
For me, I don't rush it, but you have to be a bit firmer when driving using higher revs than at lower revs... if you know what I mean?

if your ever trying to go for the best 0-60 and cut every hundreth of a second off, then your going to have to force the box, and it will crunch.....your not giving it any time for the synchros to do their job.

If you take half a second for each change, use linear movement and speed, you wont ever crunch or break the box. And although it isnt the fastest for 0-60, i dont even see a need to be doing uber fast 0-60's, its probably the most boring thing to do in an underpowered clio (in the real world). Drive the roads with corners, then shifting isnt such a big deal.

What breaks box's is torque and torque jolts.

I have never broken a box and i abuse them reguarly, but i abuse them in the proper manner. Tbh, i dont know what it feels like to break a renault box.

Z4 Roadster
FredYozzasport said:
don't thrash it in 1st gear

Amen to that brother!!!

Think a variety of people have killed gearboxes, so they are by no means bullet proof, but be weary of caning it in first gear.
I talk from bitter experience!!! Don't think I was doing it on purpose as such, but a bit too many revs and too much haste. :(

BMW M4; S1000 RR
You can take it to whatever speed in any gear. Just make sure on the shift, you're not rushing it..

I.e. If you're coming down from 7k rpm in 1st, you'll probably need to rev match to 5k or so in 2nd. Rather than being billy whizz kid and letting the clutch out and applying power when it's still above 6k rpm...

Nissan 350Z
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to stop hammering it in first, since thats the only time i have the issue and as you say theres not much need for it really.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My poor car crunches everytime i put it in 3rd, makes me sad.

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
I've noticed this.. but put it down to a sh1t change and lifting the clutch too soon. lol

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
trust me it's not, it's getting embarrasing as it goes CRUNCH whenever i put it in 3rd sniff. but think a sh1t change and lifting the clutch too soon may have caused it :(

LY 200
Lol.....Im sure iv read on here that they are vey fragile, sure it was actually Fred or MattBlack that said it was the weakest Renault box actually!? :S

I dont generally hammer mine too much but when i done in the past iv noticed crunching and not just in the first change...........Sure in one of the threads a number of people were posting saying they had there box's changed at around 20k!!!

Well mines on 19 now so if thats the case im hoping that it does and can be replaced whilst still in warrenty cause i should imagine it would be costly like when my valver box broke..........Diffrence with that though was that, that box lasted the best part of 90k!!! Lol

S-Max
get a B&M short shifter, never had any probs and sounds to me like it will suit your style of driving ;)

JayR said:
Lol.....Im sure iv read on here that they are vey fragile, sure it was actually Fred or MattBlack that said it was the weakest Renault box actually!? :S

I dont generally hammer mine too much but when i done in the past iv noticed crunching and not just in the first change...........Sure in one of the threads a number of people were posting saying they had there box's changed at around 20k!!!

Well mines on 19 now so if thats the case im hoping that it does and can be replaced whilst still in warrenty cause i should imagine it would be costly like when my valver box broke..........Diffrence with that though was that, that box lasted the best part of 90k!!! Lol
Nope its quite strong box realy its just the 172 is at the limit the box can take. Renault make a few weekerr gearboxes.