ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is the Clio Cup worth it

Hi all, just joined the site this morning.

I own a Satria GTi at the mo and im looking to buy a Cup 172. The Proton is a good car to drive but its had alot of bad points. I want a car that will last me a while and the Proton isnt that car. The noise/vibrations in the cabin are really bad and the build quality of the car is dia. The car is only over a year old and so will definetly not last.

Not sure how many Cup owners are out there but would be grateful if yous could give me some info on the car and myabe answer a few of my questions?

1) How well built is the CUP (any squeks or things dropping off)

2) Is the engine reliable and how does the beast sound.

3) As anyone got any pics of the car.

I havent been able to test drive a car yet but hopefullu will be doing when the dealer can get one in.

Also has anyone got an Options List for the Cup.

Thanks alot people, hopefully Ill be joining the Clio Clan very soon.

Joey

1 its a renault so yes lots

2 its not bad at all and sounds great with k-tec exhaust

3 i dont

hope to see you soon

Astra 1.9cdti XP

1) Mines not a cup (but nearly the same thing) I have had my problems but I have NO rattles and nothing has dropped off. Other than the exhaust which has now been fixed.

2) I think most people will agree the engine is pretty reliable and should last the duration that you have the car.

3) I have no pics sorry.

They are good little cars. Name another car with the same performance and price that doesnt have any problems at all??

Welcome

Options list?! I thought the whole point of the Cup was back to basics. If you are interested in options, then look at the regular 172 because they all come as standard bar sat nav I believe. Same car essentially but a bit heavier with all the trimmings - there are some other subtle differences before anyone starts. I do remember reading that ABS is now available on the Cup though as an extra, so perhaps a whole host of other things will be available too soon.

I wouldnt expect too much from the Renault build quality. My 172 was squeaking and rattling within a couple of days, although its never got any worse since then - I just turn the stereo up!

I dont have a picture personally, but I found one on google easily enough:

http://www.motornet.ie/graphics/news_07080208.jpg

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

The Cup is a fantastic car, great value for your dosh..

In a way its a pitty though, I wont look at Cups the same way (a raw race/trackday car stripped down to bar essentials) it will just be oh .. another 172 ... which they essentially are with all the extras added on.

Didnt someone say that a Cup with all the options will now cost more than a 172.. good planning on Renaults part..

Cheers People,

What does the engine and exhaust sound like when standard. A brokers just contacted me saying they could do me a Cup for about 11,500.

Does this sound a good deal. (UK car bought from Renault UK, Brand New).

Does this mean I could buy it from them and take it to my local dealer for servicing? Not clued up on dealing with anyone but the main dealers.

Could do with selling my 2002 (51 plate) Satria GTi. Any takers?

Cheers.

Well its nothing spesh being 4 cyl, but for a 4cyl it sounds nice.

As long as its a UK car you wont have any probs, make sure you have all the relevant stuff though, i think you have to apply for the 3rd year warranty or something strange like that??

-Rob

Renault Laguna Coupe

If you buy from a broker youll probably pick it up from your local dealer just as if youd bought it directly from them. So theyll be perfectly happy to look after it for you.

Got mine from a Renault dealer for £12150, but dealer had last laugh cause its a lemon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could get it lower if you tried harder then me cause I just lied and went to the one dealer.

Paul172cup, like the website

Cups are the puppies privates. Read The Knowledge in EVO Mag to clarify this. The Mini Cooper S only beats it as top hot hatch coz its cute.