ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is the V6 255 that bad to drive..???

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
How the f**k did this turn into yet another Trophy haters thread!? I usually agree on most things Ali says, but I'd be willing to put every penny I had on a Trophy running rings around a Vee on a typical British b-road. Narrow, poor surfaces etc, 2nd/3rd gear, no way a Vee would keep with one. They're far too light, agile and capable to be beat. When I had my Trophy, I regularly ventured up to the Yorkshire Dales with a very good mate of mine in his Illiad 255, and pretty much everytime we went he simply could not keep up with 'Postman Pat's Car'. Good driver too. There wasn't even that much in it on the straights, the Vee a car length ahead after 100, so nowt in real world terms.

On a track? Who gives a f**k what is quicker on the track! A v6 is hardly a track car, a Trophy is the b-road king, neither are mesmorising on track. If you're after a track car buy a Caterham/Exige/Whatever, not a Vee or a Trophy! Thus this is a completely pointless argument. 99% of the time it's down to point to point road pace, and a Trophy would win! I say this as a massive Clio v6 fan, too. I love them to pieces, and of course every person on the planet would choose to own one instead of a Trophy but this is not what the thread is about FFS it's about that silly, ill-informed article!

You'd be pennyless then mate...Trust me when i say the vee is hugely capable on the road!

Remember on the road there's only so fast you can go...I would bet every penny i had that the vee would keep up with my Z4...It's down to confidence and belief that the car will stick! The Vee is very settled, i launch mine into bends and know it'll stick, granted it's on KW's but even in std trim is was great! Far better than the 172's i had before.

The trophy isn't as good as the R27...And on track...Where it counts...where you can legally go for it...They're pretty level pegging!(Vee vs R27) The R27 is easier to drive, but no where near the fun.

Your right tho, not sure why the trophy was brought into the equation.

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
Ohhhh another V6 owner who won't take there car out on track ah well at least the look pretty when you polish them.

;)

Give me a few months to save up some more cash for another vee. One that I can use as a fun drive.. poss cat D or something.. I'll take you on around a circuit Matt.. :):) Look forward to it!! :)

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Ohhhh another V6 owner who won't take there car out on track ah well at least the look pretty when you polish them.

;)

Oh no, don't get me wrong fella I do drive mine on and off track but if I want to go racing i use my track car. Was at Bruntingthorp last week with the RAOC.
I give you your do, alot of vee owners do just potter about in their vees and clean them at every opportunity. That is because they get as much enjoyment out of driving them at 30mph as they do at 130mph. Thats the thing with them, they are a totally different car to a fwd, 2.0l 4 pot. I'm in no doubt that a 172, 182, Trophy or any other RS is an absolute blast to drive when giving it some stick and they are cracking cars, thing is they offer bugger all enjoyment compared to a vee when doing 30mph. Sorry, thats just my opinion.

Cooksport Fleet
Dunno mate are they any scarier than my old Integrale, Westfield or my Dad's E46 M3 that I've driven on track?

;) ;)

Nothing is as scarey as a C2 on leda suspension with 850 pound springs on the rear with 60psi in the rear tyres!!

Well when the tyres are cold anyway :)

I've never tracked mine, i'm not sure i'd ever want to. It gets driven though & i'm not one of those 'clean freaks' who is always out there polishing it etc. If anything I like it covered in dirt (it's mint under the dirt lol)

Renault Laguna Coupe
Mine came out of the showroom, got covered in stickers and spent virtually all it's life at Donington Park.

As Jeremy C once said, "this is fun, but soon I will be dead".

v6.jpg

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I hate to throw a spanner in the works for all these trophy boys giving it large about b roads and being so nimble.

The megane dci 175 laps faster around bedford than a clio trophy.
The clio 200 cup is over 2 seconds a lap faster than that.F1 would pay millions to be 2 seconds a lap faster than there rivals...

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I hate to throw a spanner in the works for all these trophy boys giving it large about b roads and being so nimble.

The clio 200 cup is over 2 seconds a lap faster than that.F1 would pay millions to be 2 seconds a lap faster than there rivals...

Ahhh, the Bedford autodrome b-road. Lol.
Like I've said, the trophy isn't the ultimate track car, same driver mine would be quicker.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Oh no, don't get me wrong fella I do drive mine on and off track but if I want to go racing i use my track car. Was at Bruntingthorp last week with the RAOC.
I give you your do, alot of vee owners do just potter about in their vees and clean them at every opportunity. That is because they get as much enjoyment out of driving them at 30mph as they do at 130mph. Thats the thing with them, they are a totally different car to a fwd, 2.0l 4 pot. I'm in no doubt that a 172, 182, Trophy or any other RS is an absolute blast to drive when giving it some stick and they are cracking cars, thing is they offer bugger all enjoyment compared to a vee when doing 30mph. Sorry, thats just my opinion.
Nail. Head.
Everyone likes to laugh at the 'hypercar' nonsense, but a Vee is a match for most supercars in terms of low speed enjoyment and presence.

Gaz

Flaming Inferno 225
any thread or mag could say it was the worse car in the world, but when i can afford one ill still have one cos i like them and thats all the matters, not many people like the Ph1 Meg but i love it and dont care what others say :D

Trophy #490

What!? Forgive me for missing the point, but how the f**k is that 'throwing a spanner in the works'!? It's not, it's you comparing firstly the road, then the track, and not linking them together to say your point! Sometimes I wonder if your posts are there just for comedy sometimes you know... :rolleyes: Your first sentence needs finishing, it reads like you just got bored with it and started a new one. Read your reply again and see for yourself how stupid it reads!

On a road (where we all drive) is where it matters. I couldn't care less what is quicker around a track, seriously! Put two normal drivers in a v6 and then a Trophy, and I'd say the normal driver would be much quicker in the Trophy than when in the Vee. Again, Ali makes a good point about how confidence inspiring his is, but don't forget you've done how many thousands of miles in yours? With experience comes confidence, and I'd still say a Trophy would be far too good for one on a twisty country road when driving both for the first time. Clio v6's are intimidating, temperamental things!

Don't know who posted it, but the 'how much more special a v6 feels at low speeds' is so true. I love them, if the insurance was a bit less I'd have one in an instant. Proper mini supercar, and although it does have its flaws, people see past that and see them for what they are - a brilliant, brilliant ownership experience with the looks, presence, character and noise.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
What!? Forgive me for missing the point, but how the f**k is that 'throwing a spanner in the works'!? It's not, it's you comparing firstly the road, then the track, and not linking them together to say your point! Sometimes I wonder if your posts are there just for comedy sometimes you know... :rolleyes: Your first sentence needs finishing, it reads like you just got bored with it and started a new one. Read your reply again and see for yourself how stupid it reads!

On a road (where we all drive) is where it matters. I couldn't care less what is quicker around a track, seriously! Put two normal drivers in a v6 and then a Trophy, and I'd say the normal driver would be much quicker in the Trophy than when in the Vee. Again, Ali makes a good point about how confidence inspiring his is, but don't forget you've done how many thousands of miles in yours? With experience comes confidence, and I'd still say a Trophy would be far too good for one on a twisty country road when driving both for the first time. Clio v6's are intimidating, temperamental things!

Don't know who posted it, but the 'how much more special a v6 feels at low speeds' is so true. I love them, if the insurance was a bit less I'd have one in an instant. Proper mini supercar, and although it does have its flaws, people see past that and see them for what they are - a brilliant, brilliant ownership experience with the looks, presence, character and noise.

Yeh, i'll give you that.

FWD is always going to be easier to find the limit...But where the fun in that! Careful with the "intimidating, temperamental things comment" Mines been 100% reliable, compared to the other 3 RS's i've had.

It's only in the wet you've got to think about whether the car will twitch! I've NEVER had a big moment in the dry. And i'm talking doing 100+ in the twisties...It's rock solid! It's just bad press mate, you need to close your ears to it.

It's a shame i don't get the chance to really get out in mine much, but every time i drive it in the dry down an A/b road, windows open, i smile!! it's an "experience!!"

I'll always be a lover! :)

^You need to take it out more! Its epic!

Best bit for me is hearing the gearbox behind you. Don't know why! LOL

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
^You need to take it out more! Its epic!

Best bit for me is hearing the gearbox behind you. Don't know why! LOL

it's the gearbox whine at high rev's! Awesome! Justin will be able to confirm that they go ok round the ring! :approve:

On the flip reverse tho, the vee requires a bit of effort to drive, Buckets + a suit is quite frankly a pain in the ass, i like taking it on a friday if the weather permits. Only 2wks till she's hibernated! And only 1700miles done this yr! :( What a sin!

Trophy #490
Yeh, i'll give you that.

FWD is always going to be easier to find the limit...But where the fun in that! Careful with the "intimidating, temperamental things comment" Mines been 100% reliable, compared to the other 3 RS's i've had.

It's only in the wet you've got to think about whether the car will twitch! I've NEVER had a big moment in the dry. And i'm talking doing 100+ in the twisties...It's rock solid! It's just bad press mate, you need to close your ears to it.

It's a shame i don't get the chance to really get out in mine much, but every time i drive it in the dry down an A/b road, windows open, i smile!! it's an "experience!!"

I'll always be a lover! :)

Stop it, I'm starting to think I should of just been more of a man and forked out an extra wad on the insurance now! :dapprove: When I'm 21 I will have one 100% cos you make it sound brilliant. Oh the ''intimidating'' comment wasn't aimed at reliability, more at the nerves that they give the driver when they first drive it, very supercar-esque! My mate's Illiad 255 was brilliant when I've drove it, it's just you can never feel free to boot it when there's the owner sitting right next to you and so confidence would come with the more miles you do, naturally.

it's the gearbox whine at high rev's! Awesome! Justin will be able to confirm that they go ok round the ring! :approve:

On the flip reverse tho, the vee requires a bit of effort to drive, Buckets + a suit is quite frankly a pain in the ass, i like taking it on a friday if the weather permits. Only 2wks till she's hibernated! And only 1700miles done this yr! :( What a sin!

Its the clunk clunk that I like..

TBF your one is modded, so not really fair comparing.. But yeah it went well!

I'm trying to talk my mate with his newly aquired F355 to come along next year with us..

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Stop it, I'm starting to think I should of just been more of a man and forked out an extra wad on the insurance now! :dapprove: When I'm 21 I will have one 100% cos you make it sound brilliant. Oh the ''intimidating'' comment wasn't aimed at reliability, more at the nerves that they give the driver when they first drive it, very supercar-esque! My mate's Illiad 255 was brilliant when I've drove it, it's just you can never feel free to boot it when there's the owner sitting right next to you and so confidence would come with the more miles you do, naturally.

yeh, goes without saying.

Mind you've got 1400kg of a car and the majority of that weight is over the back wheels. Engines made of PIG iron so it's heavy. When it does go, it's not pleasant by any means as the transfer of weight creates a pendulum effect...not like the Front engined RWD cars, which will happily go sideways. The vee won't and i think thats what people get caught up over...Like i said, it's the driver that would cause that not the car...And i've only had it twice, in the damp! Lessons learned.

I don't think people appreciate how good the wee clio is, the only flaw with it...genuinely...It's no where near fast enough. Renault had the balls to make something look wild, but they never gave it the power to merit the looks! 350bhp would of made it "exciting!"

Better than yours. C*nt.
Ali - apparently the engine isn't iron? Fred's opinion is that as V6 lumps go it's not that bad?!

*Doh, beaten to it!

LY V6 & Fiesta ST

I've had mine for 6 weeks and done 2200 in it, i find it very useable and unless doing something very stupid in the wet easy to drive, the grip in the dry easily rivals my old 197 cup and has a lot more character! So much in fact i actually 'forget' when pootling around its a vee, much quieter at motorway speeds then my old cup!

Ahhh someone throws EVO's stats into the mix exactly where did the V6 rate in there top 100 drivers cars?

Lets face it a V6 is a great car and so are all of the RS Clio's including the Williams's and Valver's it all boils down to personal preference, budget and loads of other variables.

Maybe one day I'll be man enough for a V6 but until then I'll drive my little Pink Clio.

;)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
You didnt deal with one bit of where the oil burner pips the trick dampered wonder car that you drive in that last reply...

Never mind anyway.In years to come,i imagine the trophy to be inbetween cup and williams in terms of value,but the V6 being a classic and worth more like the turbo 2's are now...especially really low miles ones...

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Ali - apparently the engine isn't iron? Fred's opinion is that as V6 lumps go it's not that bad?!

*Doh, beaten to it!

Wasn't speaking literally!

The subframe and front strength is where the daft weight comes in!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Ahhh someone throws EVO's stats into the mix exactly where did the V6 rate in there top 100 drivers cars?

Lets face it a V6 is a great car and so are all of the RS Clio's including the Williams's and Valver's it all boils down to personal preference, budget and loads of other variables.

Maybe one day I'll be man enough for a V6 but until then I'll drive my little Pink Clio.

;)

Lol. The V6 was being polished that day! had it been included it would of been No1! ;)

Trophy #490
You didnt deal with one bit of where the oil burner pips the trick dampered wonder car that you drive in that last reply...

Never mind anyway.In years to come,i imagine the trophy to be inbetween cup and williams in terms of value,but the V6 being a classic and worth more like the turbo 2's are now...especially really low miles ones...

Oh dear, then I shall address this issue now. Who gives a f**k if it's slower than a chuffing diesel Megane round a track! I know for a fact I don't. It's not a track car FFS, it doesn't claim to be as it wasn't built to be an out and out track day special. It was built to be a b-road king, the pinnacle of the mark two range. Quite simply, it is. Idiots who bang on about track times bore me, 99% of people do not even take their cars on track. There are hundreds of cars that are quicker than a Trophy round a track. So, your point is....? :rolleyes:

Trophy #490
Oh and let's take Harry Metcalfe for example, seeing as though you're always quoting evo magazine. A man who has a Zonda, what else does he own? That's right, a Clio Trophy. Why do you think that is? Cos it's f**king brilliant. But oh no, a diesel Megane laps Bedford slightly quicker which makes it completely rubbish. You miss the point of the car so badly it's unreal!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
And a megane diesel is a track car...lol

My point is,ive just read pages telling me how special and how trick the pinacle of the clio range is.When in reality it is only as fast as a dci on a track with around 100 years of profesional drivers ringing the neck out of cars on track.

And tbh i cant think of a more better place to test two cars in the same conditions than on track.The way the clio is set up it should shine on a track...

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Oh and let's take Harry Metcalfe for example, seeing as though you're always quoting evo magazine. A man who has a Zonda, what else does he own? That's right, a Clio Trophy. Why do you think that is? Cos it's f**king brilliant. But oh no, a diesel Megane laps Bedford slightly quicker which makes it completely rubbish. You miss the point of the car so badly it's unreal!

I really dont.ive owned a 172 and 182 and understand the cars fine...A great drive yes,just not as fast as some make out,hence the tdi reference.And in another thread on here he has told someone that its too harsh for a daily drive...next

I really dont.ive owned a 172 and 182 and understand the cars fine...A great drive yes,just not as fast as some make out,hence the tdi reference.And in another thread on here he has told someone that its too harsh for a daily drive...next

Sorry have you owned a Trophy?

Also don't you have a Honda now?

Please feel free to GTFO of this thread if you've not owned a Trophy or 255

Love you

;)

xxxx

Cooper S
Sorry have you owned a Trophy?

Also don't you have a Honda now?

Please feel free to GTFO of this thread if you've not owned a Trophy or 255

Love you

;)

xxxx

Bit harsh seeing as Ian started this thread which is crammed full of "adult" debate!lol.

Admin can you not just sticky a thread called "Vee v Trophy - You Decide?"as every thread seems to end up with a very similar theme... ;)